Nature's Gate is actually *drying out* my hair!

Hello, fellow curlies!

I recently went CG, using Nature's Gate Herbal Blend. I bought it because it was on sale, and came home and immediately regretted it because the smell is so incredibly offensive (does anyone here know how to dilute the smell?).

I'm short on money, so I'm cowashing and conditioning with it. I've noticed that it's actually making my hair more dry. When it's wet, it feels like straw, and has that "squeaky clean" feeling that I used to attribute to sulfate shampoos. Has anyone here also had this experience? If you're using Nature's Gate successfully, am I doing something wrong?

Here's what I've done, recently: my hair was really dry and gross yesterday, so I beat some eggs with olive oil, left that in my hair for about an hour. I woke up after sleeping on wet hair, and my hair was very soft, but very straight. Then I took a shower with N's G. All the softness completely disappeared, and it's curly, again.

I live in Vancouver, Canada, and it's been raining for about 3 weeks, nonstop. Could my water be a different pH, now? If so, would this be causing the dryness? I'm going to do an avocado deep condition later today, and see what happens.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for the advice! Happy Christmas!
Still experimenting! Just started CG (December 2010).

[Medium porosity, medium thickness, medium texture, highly dense, protein sensitive. Mixture of 2a and 3a. (I know, go figure, eh?)]

Trying to get 'er done with as few products as possible:
Co-Wash and Conditioner: Nature's Gate Herbal Blend (which my hair hates, so be warned. Switching soon.)

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Some people find that "non-sulfate" 'poos dry out their hair more than regular sulfate shampoos, so you are not alone. It all depends on the CG shampoo itself and how your hair reacts with it. If I'm not mistaken, the Nature's Gate products are loaded with protein. You could be sensitive to protein, and that's why your hair is reacting this way. Dry, straw-like curls is a classic case of protein overdose. In the future, you might want to stay away from all proteins and see how your hair reacts. You might want to check on the "Protein Sensitive" boards, also, to get tips and advice from those ladies. My coarse hair likes protein, so I can't be of much help to you there. :)
    Also, you could possibly pick up a VO5 or Suave Naturals condish from your local drugstore and mix that with your Nature's Gate to CO-wash with to help fix the problem temporarily. (I know the Suave Coconut is loaded with protein, so you might want to avoid that one.)

Maybe you could try adding some essential oil to the shampoo to counteract the smell? I am not sure what the scent is, but I find that enough Lavender essential oil can overpower just about anything. :laughing9:

Good luck, and I HTH.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file