Need Appetizer Ideas

cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
My mom gets upset when everybody snacks on her goodies while the meal is in the oven. This year, we're supposed to bring an appetizer/snack type item. On stepsister is bringing spinach artichoke dip and I think the other one is also bringing a dip. My mom suggested that I bring a cheese ball of some sort. I have no idea what to bring.

Any suggestions? I'm not completely sold on the cheeseball idea, but it proabably shouldn't be a dip.
I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:

Comments

• RimiRimi Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ooh, deviled eggs!
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    How about gougeres? Or spiced nuts? They can tossed with herbs, butter, and sea salt. Roasted or fried chickpeas are good, too. Arancini are a slightly more involved bite, but irresistible!
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    Saria wrote: »
    How about gougeres? Or spiced nuts? They can tossed with herbs, butter, and sea salt. Roasted or fried chickpeas are good, too. Arancini are a slightly more involved bite, but irresistible!

OMG! I love gougeres! (are they the little cheese bread ball puff thingies) I had those at artisinal in NYC...so yummy!
    RiMiDa wrote: »
    ooh, deviled eggs!

Ugh...I'm the only one in my family who hates deviled eggs.
    I think I'm going to attempt the gougeres....hopefully, I'm not overestimating my cooking abilities. Do you have a good recipe?
    And if you don't have a recipe...how does this one sound?

Alain Ducasse's Gougères Recipe - Alain Ducasse | Food & Wine

This one seems the most basic...just gruyere accented with some nutmeg. Some of the other recipes had some other random spices.
    It's just cheesy pate a choux. Not too hard:
    Gruyere Cheese Gougeres Filled with Bechamel @ Not Quite Nigella

Gougères: A Recipe for French Cheese Puffs | David Lebovitz

Just make sure to bake them fully. Underbaked pate a choux is gross.

That recipe is good, but nothing wrong with playing around. I love chives and some freshly ground black pepper in mine.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    My dad and I always do stuffed mushrooms together (this time we're preparing them Christmas Eve instead of the morning of, but I don't mind not rushing so much!), someone always does pigs in a blanket (we use pre-made crescent roll or biscuit dough and little mini dogs), cheese and cracker trays, and the new one I've done recently is fried wontons with cream cheese and fresh chives inside. I think the wontons are my new favorite, and I need to make them again tomorrow, too... Super easy to make, but yummy! You can buy pre-made wrappers at the supermarket and put the filling in, then seal the wrappers, drop in 1/2"-1" of hot oil in a pan, flip when first side starts to turn golden, remove when done.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    From my new favorite food blog Noble Pig has a lot of great looking appetizer ideas. I'm tempted to make the buffalo chicken dip myself.

Noble Pig: Super Bowl XLlll Winner - 5 Recipes
    hello.world.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Curl Connoisseur Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    the New York Times posted a list earlier this week of 101 appetizers, some very quick and easy!
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • spring1onuspring1onu Curl Connoisseur Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Cheese straws!

This one may not be for everyone, but I love ham roll-ups. My mom always made them with ham, cream cheese and sweet pickles and I could eat the whole freakin' tray. I've also made them with black or green olives mixed into the cream cheese instead of a whole sweet pickle inside.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Sausage balls! mmmmmmm
    Veggie tray!
    Cheese/summer sausage tray!
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• munchkinmunchkin Curl Connoisseur Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Asparagus sandwiches/Rollups

Drain and dry a can of asaparagus till quite dry
    Cut crust off slices of bread
    Roll bread slice flat with rolling pin
    Spread with mayonnaise
    Roll up asparagus spear in flattened bread
    Cut in smaller pieces (possibly thirds)

Usually one can of asparagus will use pretty much use a loaf of bread. Of course, you can make less if you don't need that mnany.

Makes a good tasting finger food.
    3b/c
  • spring1onuspring1onu Curl Connoisseur Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sausage balls, for REAL! I made some with apple in them and they were really good!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    I just remembered going to a party at my SIL's and she had red pepper jelly on top of cream cheese. Ugh, I about ate the whole damn thing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

Little smokies w/ BBQ sauce!
    Great for the crockpot.....
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

This is awesome, I've been needing ideas for NYE because I just want to do a bunch of appetizer snacky things instead of making dinner. :blob4:

The mention of cream cheese reminded me, you could make a spiced cranberry sauce with oranges and pecans (takes about 15-20 minutes) and put it over cream cheese with crackers. The cranberry sauce needs to set up overnight though so not sure that would be an option.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• munchkinmunchkin Curl Connoisseur Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curlysue21 wrote: »
    I just remembered going to a party at my SIL's and she had red pepper jelly on top of cream cheese. Ugh, I about ate the whole damn thing!

That's always a good one too. . . and easy!
    3b/c
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Gougeres - YUM! I made some once with bleu cheese.

I second the cheese straws. Easy peasy.

Spiced nuts are always nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I already have spiced nuts.
    oh, n/m

:laughing4:
    0004.gif

• misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    oh, n/m

:laughing3:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The New BlackThe New Black Curl Connoisseur Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    cyndi wrote: »
    RiMiDa wrote: »
    ooh, deviled eggs!

Ugh...I'm the only one in my family who hates deviled eggs.
    Ick, I hate them too.
    oh, n/m

Girl, I gotta hand it to ya...You can turn anything into a sex joke. :laughing4:

I love stuffed mushrooms.

Prosciutto-wrapped asparagus spears with cheese.

Chicken satay or other kabob
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    I've decided to make the sausage balls. If I were hosting a party and planning a menu, I would make the gougeres. However, the sausage balls will fit in better with the other appetizers. Mostly, my mom just wants snacks to keep everybody out of the food as it comes out of the oven.
    WHOA! These things are GREASY! Wishing I had made the gougeres. :sad10: Oh well, I'm sure the guys will like them.
  • KrazyblondegurlKrazyblondegurl Posts: 1,008Registered Users
    Yum!

I'm working tonight (Christmas eve) and we're bring food. I'm bringing:

bbq meatballs in crockpot
    fruit and fruit dip
    veggies and spinich dip
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Curl Connoisseur Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Heart of palm. Yummy.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Curl Connoisseur Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    NetG wrote: »
    My dad and I always do stuffed mushrooms together (this time we're preparing them Christmas Eve instead of the morning of, but I don't mind not rushing so much!), someone always does pigs in a blanket (we use pre-made crescent roll or biscuit dough and little mini dogs), cheese and cracker trays, and the new one I've done recently is fried wontons with cream cheese and fresh chives inside. I think the wontons are my new favorite, and I need to make them again tomorrow, too... Super easy to make, but yummy! You can buy pre-made wrappers at the supermarket and put the filling in, then seal the wrappers, drop in 1/2"-1" of hot oil in a pan, flip when first side starts to turn golden, remove when done.

I looooove these.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    cyndi wrote: »
    Saria wrote: »

OMG! I love gougeres! (are they the little cheese bread ball puff thingies) I had those at artisinal in NYC...so yummy!

I know I'm late to the party. Sounds similar to what I just finished making a batch of a few minutes ago...and they're already gone! They were supposed to be for tomorrow!

Cheddar Pepper Palmiers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    curlyarca wrote: »
    NetG wrote: »

I looooove these.

Oh wow, those sound fabulous. I'm writing this down for another time. Maybe NYE snacks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix
    Pretty different. Palmiers are a flaky, puff pastry cookie shaped like, well, palms or elephant ears (I usually do cardamom and raw sugar ones). I don't think I've seen savory ones, though it's a cool idea. Gougeres are made from pate a choux, the base of eclairs, cream puffs, profiteroles, churros (though not the traditional Spanish ones), croquembouche, Paris-Brest, and a bunch of other confections (they also form part of potatoes Dauphine, which I love). It's eggy and should bake up hollow and light. It's not exactly diet food, but it's probably less calories than puff pastry. :lol:
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file