What's a good dark chocolate to use to make...

slinky1slinky1 BannedPosts: 1,612Banned Users
nonpereils?

Does anyone have a recipe for these, by the way? Do I have to use vegetable shortening? What is vegetable shortening...that's not oil, is it?

If you can't tell, I don't make sweets...:thumbdown: I'm a poor excuse for a woman.
;)

Comments

• PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I've not made them before but my mom used to and she always used vegetable shortening.

Vegetable shortening is vegetable oils - Crisco is soybean oil and other kinds of vegetable oils.

I have no idea what you can sub for vegetable shortening - if you want to make candy you pretty much have to have some kind of fat to give it the right consistency and to make it set up right.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Here is a Martha Stewart recipe. She uses bittersweet chocolate. I don't think I've seen them made with anything other than that.

Nonpareils Candies - Martha Stewart Recipes

And yes, vegetable shortening refers to the solid stuff. Crisco shortening comes in a blue can or in stick form. Like this:

shortening_vegetable_sm.jpg
    shortening_veg_stick_sm.jpg

I love nonpareils!!! :compress:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah, Crisco is veg. shortening. I wonder if coconut oil would work too. It's solid at room temperature.

Valrhona and Scharffenberger are supposed to be good baking chocolates. I don't like them for eating though.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • slinky1slinky1 Banned Posts: 1,612Banned Users
    Thanks.

I was kinda hoping veg shortening wasn't Crisco. I hate finding out what things are made out of...
    ;)
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Dark chocolate can be either semi-sweet or bittersweet, with anywhere in the 50-something percent to 70-something percent range (or higher even, but those aren't too common). I'd use bittersweet for that myself, but you might prefer semi-sweet depending on how sweet you like things.
    I'd probably use Valrhona Guanaja or Caraibe for that,
    or Noir Gastronomie for a milder flavor (I love Noir Gastronomie).
    Callebaut chocolate is also really good (and cheaper than Valrhona, so I use it more), and so is E. Guittard.

Shortening is cheap and that's why it's used. Higher quality chocolates are made with cocoa butter. They melt better on the tongue than those made with (hydrogenated) palm kernel oil and shortening. I'd use cocoa butter because I hate shortening. I have some (cocoa butter) that I haven't even used yet which I got from the King Arthur Flour Baker's Catalogue. Failing that, I'd use coconut oil (not a virgin one, they're not good for cooking; Omega Nutrition makes a good one). If I had to use shortening, I'd use Earth Balance sticks since they're not hydrogenated. If you don't care at all, use the Crisco. :p
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • slinky1slinky1 Banned Posts: 1,612Banned Users
    Saria wrote: »
    Dark chocolate can be either semi-sweet or bittersweet, with anywhere in the 50-something percent to 70-something percent range (or higher even, but those aren't too common). I'd use bittersweet for that myself, but you might prefer semi-sweet depending on how sweet you like things.
    I'd probably use Valrhona Guanaja or Caraibe for that,
    or Noir Gastronomie for a milder flavor (I love Noir Gastronomie).
    Callebaut chocolate is also really good (and cheaper than Valrhona, so I use it more), and so is E. Guittard.

Shortening is cheap and that's why it's used. Higher quality chocolates are made with cocoa butter. They melt better on the tongue than those made with (hydrogenated) palm kernel oil and shortening. I'd use cocoa butter because I hate shortening. I have some (cocoa butter) that I haven't even used yet which I got from the King Arthur Flour Baker's Catalogue. Failing that, I'd use coconut oil (not a virgin one, they're not good for cooking; Omega Nutrition makes a good one). If I had to use shortening, I'd use Earth Balance sticks since they're not hydrogenated. If you don't care at all, use the Crisco. :p

Where would one buy these items, and how would one figure out how much to substitute for the shortening?
    ;)
    I buy chocolate at baking supply stores, specialty markets, Whole Foods, and Williams Sonoma for the Valrhona Noir Gastronomie (for some reason it's hard to find anywhere else).
    You can buy chocolate from chocosphere.com in bulk. They carry pretty much everything under the sun.
    Cocoa butter from King Arthur or a baking supply shop.
    Coconut oil from a health food store, though Omega Nutrition isn't that common.
    I would warn that cocoa butter melts more easily than shortening, so you'd have to be careful with that and I'd suggest to stick with coconut oil or unhydrogenated shortening. Same amounts.
    The Earth Balance unhydrogenated shortening is available at WF and other health food stores. It's refrigerated and around where the butter is.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Good points about the shortening substitutes, Saria. I don't use hydrogenated vegetable oils anymore but I had no idea you could substitute coconut oil. I know I've seen that at Whole Foods. I'll have to order some cocoa butter from KAF.

I'm able to find Guittard semi-sweet chocolate chips sometimes at my local Harris Teeter. It's hit-or-miss though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Trader Joe's has Valrhona.

A note on Earth Balance: it tastes and smells awful.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    I don't know, it tastes like shortening to me. I think all shortening tastes pretty bad and leaves a waxy mouthfeel, so I don't use it for anything. I only ever used it in pie dough, and even with all the butter that should have made up for a tiny amount of shortening, I still had that waxy mouthfeel. So I don't think it tastes any worse than typical shortening.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Saria wrote: »
    I don't know, it tastes like shortening to me. I think all shortening tastes pretty bad and leaves a waxy mouthfeel, so I don't use it for anything. I only ever used it in pie dough, and even with all the butter that should have made up for a tiny amount of shortening, I still had that waxy mouthfeel. So I don't think it tastes any worse than typical shortening.
    I mean the buttery sticks taste bad. The shortening might be OK, but I've never used that. I was in WF today and saw that Earth Balance has a butter substitute and a shortening.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file