Need advice and encouragement

MomPlaysBassMomPlaysBass Posts: 3Registered Users
I'm new to this site. I stopped coloring my hair about a year ago, and it is in the best condition it's been in since my mother started straightening it when I was a child. I am growing it out. The part I need advice on is that I was a 3c until I stopped using the chemicals, and now it's more like a 3a. I don't know how to take care of these "new" curls. My age may be a factor (52 and in perimenopause). Any and all help is appreciated. I am virtually no-poo (shampoo only when I've used too much product).I am also fortunate - I found a stylist who understands and embraces curly hair! 8-)
Type 3a/3b (longer=looser)
Texture: baby fine

CG: Use Pantene conditioner for fine hair

Haven't settled on any other products as of yet.

:cool:

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Have you checked out the techniques sticky? It has some amazing methods that lot of curlies here use to bring out "maximum curl potential." Here's a link.

TECHNIQUES LINKS: SuperSoaker,Spritz&Condish,Plopping,Frizz,Clipping IceQueen, etc

Also, have you looked into CO-washing? The method is based on the fact that curly/wavy hair is drier than straight hair and needs to be treated with more moisture than normal shampoos can give. I have been shampoo-less for a few weeks and I'm LOVING it! Here's a link that explains all about the method:

The College Curly: Laura Lee's All In One Guide to Going CG: Now Revised and Updated!

And here's a before/after thread to get you inspired!

Post your before & After CG pics

Your hair is probably 3a now as opposed to 3c before from all the chemical damage and straightening. The CO-washing would help reverse some of the damage faster than regular old shampooing would. I would recommend getting a trim and deep conditioning an awful lot to add moisture back into your hair. Your curls will not spring back over night, but they will probably eventually return to your 3c coils if you continue to stay away from the flat iron and hair color. (Also, if frequent deep conditioning doesn't work, it could just be hormonal changes -- lots of people go through things like that, so you're not alone.) Good luck with your natural hair journey. All your struggles will eventually pay off!

Also -- do you actually play bass guitar (or double bass)? If so, that's pretty cool, especially for a 52 year old woman!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • MomPlaysBassMomPlaysBass Posts: 3Registered Users
    I started playing the electric bass about a year and a half ago. Part of my post-50 rebellion.

My hair is actually in its best condition ever! I'm guessing that it was so curly before because of the damage I'd done to it. The more it recovered the more relaxed my curls became. I've also been told that hair can change when you "change", so I don't think that it will return to 3c (neither does my stylist). I have no idea how curly it was when I was a child because my mother started straightening it at a very early age. I do recall a picture of me at about one year old with big curls. Maybe that's what I'm returning to.

I'm checking out the links you suggested. I actually only shampoo as needed, maybe once every two weeks. I'll try to stop. On a positive note, my 20 year old son wants to grow his hair out (he's definitely a 3c or tighter, but not a 4) and he's now shampoo free!

I'll check out the other threads you suggested. Thanks!

I started playing the electric bass about a year and a half ago. Part of my post-50 rebellion.

That's awesome!!!!!! :happy4: The electric bass is my dream instrument! (Tried to convince the parents to get me one for Christmas....it didn't go over so well!) I play the piano and wanted something to rock out on. :thumbleft: Regular guitar is okay (I play that a little), but I heard bass was easier (and it sounds cooler!).
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
  • MomPlaysBassMomPlaysBass Posts: 3Registered Users
    I absolutely LOVE the bass. I had restarted playing guitar on an electric guitar, but one day I took my son's bass to my lesson and never looked back. It is way cooler, and a small benefit is the look on people's faces when they find out you actually do play the bass. Priceless! :glasses8:

My hair is actually in its best condition ever! I'm guessing that it was so curly before because of the damage I'd done to it. The more it recovered the more relaxed my curls became. I've also been told that hair can change when you "change", so I don't think that it will return to 3c (neither does my stylist). I have no idea how curly it was when I was a child because my mother started straightening it at a very early age. I do recall a picture of me at about one year old with big curls. Maybe that's what I'm returning to.

I'm checking out the links you suggested. I actually only shampoo as needed, maybe once every two weeks. I'll try to stop. On a positive note, my 20 year old son wants to grow his hair out (he's definitely a 3c or tighter, but not a 4) and he's now shampoo free!

I'll check out the other threads you suggested. Thanks!

You're welcome! At least you're not a shampoo addict -- it's a lot easier to stop shampooing completely if you don't do it every day. There's lots of cheapie conditioners in the drugstores that you can start CO-washing with, like Suave Naturals and VO5 (I use the VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, and I love it!). They just have to be silicone free. Silicones ('cones for short) end in -cone, -conol, or -xane. They can build up on your hair and they can only be removed by sulfates. So it's a constant cycle -- sulfates, 'cones, more sulfates, more 'cones.

Good for your son! Go, curlies!
    I absolutely LOVE the bass. I had restarted playing guitar on an electric guitar, but one day I took my son's bass to my lesson and never looked back. It is way cooler, and a small benefit is the look on people's faces when they find out you actually do play the bass. Priceless! :glasses8:

Ha ha! You play all my favorite instruments! I LOVE electric guitar, too! But bass is still my favorite. Keep on rockin' (with the guitar and with total GIRL POWER!!). :D

Favorite...
  • espresso.curlsespresso.curls Posts: 94Registered Users

AWESOME!!! Fellow bassist in the house!!! Another curly to boot! :D *cheers*

Hehe, I also play the bass (and some other instruments), thanks to my Dad who let me practice on his bass. So, I'm not the only one who's curly hair has gone through a hair-type change? My hair also used to be 3c before I started frying it with a flat iron. It is now in the best condition it's been since... my kiddie days? But it is not 3c anymore--it's a 3b/3a combo now (the longer the hair, the looser the curl). The texture also has changed; it used to be really coarse, but now it's more of a medium texture. Still thick as all get out, though.

Good luck on figuring how to baby your hair! Nice to meet you :)
    Just rockin' the natural curls.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file