CurlTalk

What to do about dry,rough,tangly,ends?

SassyCurls123SassyCurls123 Posts: 92Registered Users
Yesterday evening i had blow dryed my hair,in preperation for straightning. But, i couldn't even get a comb through my ENDS. The rest of my head was smooth and tangle free and mositurized, except for the ends. I cowashed, and detangled and let it dry. I added honey and ORS dc pack to it. This morning i rinsed it out, and it felt pretty soft.

I blow dried it this evening and it was torcher. The ends were ridiculosly horrible. I put some indian hemp to it and put it into a bun. I haven't had a trim in months, could that be the problem? Any tips on how to make them healthier?
:jocolor:I have been natural all my life :jocolor:

And i am just starting to know my 3c/4a hair better :wav:

Shampoo- Pantene Dry to moisturized
Conditioner/ Leave in/ - Aussie Moist/Garnier Fructis leave in LOVE THEM!

Sealants: Indian Hemp

Comments

• FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users
    I haven't had a trim in months, could that be the problem?
    Yes. Dry, rough, tangle-prone ends signal that a trim may be necessary.
    Any tips on how to make them healthier?
    To keep your ends healthy...
    --trim as needed (tons of ssks/splits or lots of tangling)
    --detangle gently and carefully
    --wear low manipulation and/or protective styles
    --seal ends with a moisturizer followed by a butter/oil

I finger-detangle and wear protective styles most of the time. I seal with shealoe (whole shaft) followed by castor oil (ends).
    Big Chop: 12/15/08

Shampoo: As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo
    Conditioner: As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner &
    Tresemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish Conditioner
    Leave-In Conditioner: As I Am Leave-In Conditioner & Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner
    Moisturizer: As I Am DoubleButter Cream Rich Daily Moisturizer
    Oils/Butters: Coconut Oil & Castor Oil
    Gels: Eco Styler Krystal Gel

~ iHerb Discount Code: EFE310 ~
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users
    Trim them! To keep my ends healthy, I seal with them castor oil or a butter (usually coco or the Jane Carter one).
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • SassyCurls123SassyCurls123 Posts: 92Registered Users
    Side note: Do you think it would be ok to flat iron it still even though i put the indian hemp?

• greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    Whenever my hair starts to feel/look like that, I go on a search and destroy mission and trim my ends and the hairs that looks like these.

To eco everyone else, sealing is key - one of the things I failed to do in the passed and my hair suffered as a result.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    Whenever my hair starts to feel/look like that, I go on a search and destroy mission and trim my ends and the hairs that looks like these.

To eco everyone else, sealing is key - one of the things I failed to do in the passed and my hair suffered as a result.

lol I posted that same pic in the SIIDY thread!!!
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
    gagirl09 wrote: »

lol I posted that same pic in the SIIDY thread!!!

LOL! Seeing that pic scared the crap out of me - I almost didn't want to look at my hair today.
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
    The indian hempt softened my hair, but i know it's not permanet. After i straighten my hair im going to cut it. I'm kind of sad though, im armpit length and now it'll be shoulder :sad5: But at least it'll be healthier

The indian hempt softened my hair, but i know it's not permanet. After i straighten my hair im going to cut it. I'm kind of sad though, im armpit length and now it'll be shoulder :sad5: But at least it'll be healthier

What is "Indian hempt"?
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    I have yet to figure this out. cutting doesn't help. I can trim and trim and trim and then the next thing I know, the ends of my newly trimmed hair are all tangly
    It's kind of like a grease. The first ingredient is petroleum but the rest is oils. I know it's not a good ingredient, but it was the only thing i had

• afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    To echo everyone else, sealing is key - one of the things I failed to do in the past and my hair suffered as a result.

I agree wholeheartedly. My ends were always frizzy, dry, and tangly but then once started applying heavier, butter cream type products on my ends after my leave-in conditioner it hasn't been a problem since.

The ends are older, hence drier, and need that extra attention sometimes.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
    To echo everyone else, sealing is key - one of the things I failed to do in the past and my hair suffered as a result.

I agree wholeheartedly. My ends were always frizzy, dry, and tangly but then once started applying heavier, butter cream type products on my ends after my leave-in conditioner it hasn't been a problem since.

The ends are older, hence drier, and need that extra attention sometimes.

I find I have to apply something to my hair at least every other night. I just trimmed my hair for the first time since this passed spring so hopefully my ends will fare better since I didnt seal in the past.
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • Kinky DayShaKinky DaySha Posts: 528Registered Users
    scrills wrote: »
    I have yet to figure this out. cutting doesn't help. I can trim and trim and trim and then the next thing I know, the ends of my newly trimmed hair are all tangly

+1. I tried trimming, but nothing changes. I figured I was just asking too much of the ends. I can just have trimmed, and they still feel stragly(sp?). But seeing these replies, I might try oil on the ends only. My hair doesn't like oils really, but it's worth a shot, cause if I keep trimming, I won't have any hair left,lol
    Last perm 8/07, big chop 5/08, several mini chops since
    Fine, medium density, low porosity. PJ in recovery:angel12:
    Current loves:Tressemme Nats, AO GPB, One and Only Argan Oil Hydrating Mask, Alba Botanicals Leave-in, KCKT, Qhemet BRBC & OHHB, Terresentials Mud Wash, Trader Joes Nourish Spa
    "Be the change you want to see in the world." - Gandhi
    I trimmed about 1 inch off of my hair, And couldn't be HAPPIER! It feels alottttt better, i should have done it a long time ago. It's still armpit length so i'm happy :toothy4: