Hello!

kashlykashly Posts: 57Registered Users
Hello everyone!
Iv browsed this site for a while now and have finally taken the plunge and become a member today :) I have 3b hair with some 3a at the bottom, the canopy of my hair is usually very dry and is partly composed of these very thick wiry and jagged hairs that absolutley drive me crazy! Prior to this past year, I had flat ironed my hair for a whole six years because I had no idea how to deal with and control my curls. I always wanted to learn how to proudly wear my curls but I didnt know how or where to start! My hair was very damaged so I cut alot of it off but I continued to straighten. One day I was going thru some photo albums and saw a picture of my four-year old self and saw that I had the most beautiful and long curly hair and instantly regretted straightening it all those years. So that very day I decided to make a change! No more straightening of any kind! And with the exception of my senior prom I have stuck with it to this day! I LOOOOOVEEE my curly hair. I think its beautiful and unique and I love having them now :) I think all curly girls should wear their beautiful curly hair with pride :)

I have a mostly natural hair care regimen. I use Burts Bees moisturizing shampoo once a week and co-wash with Natures Gate conditioner the other six days (I just tried the vinegar and baking soda technique also, ill prob try and switch to that soon). I just started using green tea rinses with rosemary and sage as well. When I get out of the shower I brush my hair back (i use organic conditioner to slick back my hair) and leave it in a pony tail to air dry. I put a little bit of olive oil and jojoba oil in the length of my pony. I dont use any hair products, gels or cremes for I am afraid they will dry my hair out, i just use organic virgin and essential oils. I also put my hair in a loose pony tail when I go to sleep and tie a ziplock bag over the length of my hair with an elastic so it wont get frizzy.

The bottom layers of my hair are usually fantastically moisturized but the top layers get drier and drier as you go up. I cut my hair ALOT because I hate dry pieces but it seems that no matter how much I cut they always come back! The back top of my head is filled with jagged kinky hairs that are very distinct from the rest of my hair and are very hard to manage. At first I thought they were damage so I cut them off and plucked them out but then they just grew back! My main problem with my hair is that it seems its either mostly straw dry or super oily :-| Im mostly just trying to moisturize it without it being super oily but nothing ever seems to work! Well hopefully this site will help! Thanks!!

~Krystal
Curls are beautiful <3

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Welcome! We're glad to have you!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • espresso.curlsespresso.curls Posts: 94Registered Users
    kashly wrote: »
    Hello everyone!
    Iv browsed this site for a while now and have finally taken the plunge and become a member today :) I have 3b hair with some 3a at the bottom, the canopy of my hair is usually very dry and is partly composed of these very thick wiry and jagged hairs that absolutley drive me crazy! Prior to this past year, I had flat ironed my hair for a whole six years because I had no idea how to deal with and control my curls. I always wanted to learn how to proudly wear my curls but I didnt know how or where to start! My hair was very damaged so I cut alot of it off but I continued to straighten. One day I was going thru some photo albums and saw a picture of my four-year old self and saw that I had the most beautiful and long curly hair and instantly regretted straightening it all those years. So that very day I decided to make a change! No more straightening of any kind! And with the exception of my senior prom I have stuck with it to this day! I LOOOOOVEEE my curly hair. I think its beautiful and unique and I love having them now :) I think all curly girls should wear their beautiful curly hair with pride :)

I have a mostly natural hair care regimen. I use Burts Bees moisturizing shampoo once a week and co-wash with Natures Gate conditioner the other six days (I just tried the vinegar and baking soda technique also, ill prob try and switch to that soon). I just started using green tea rinses with rosemary and sage as well. When I get out of the shower I brush my hair back (i use organic conditioner to slick back my hair) and leave it in a pony tail to air dry. I put a little bit of olive oil and jojoba oil in the length of my pony. I dont use any hair products, gels or cremes for I am afraid they will dry my hair out, i just use organic virgin and essential oils. I also put my hair in a loose pony tail when I go to sleep and tie a ziplock bag over the length of my hair with an elastic so it wont get frizzy.

The bottom layers of my hair are usually fantastically moisturized but the top layers get drier and drier as you go up. I cut my hair ALOT because I hate dry pieces but it seems that no matter how much I cut they always come back! The back top of my head is filled with jagged kinky hairs that are very distinct from the rest of my hair and are very hard to manage. At first I thought they were damage so I cut them off and plucked them out but then they just grew back! My main problem with my hair is that it seems its either mostly straw dry or super oily :-| Im mostly just trying to moisturize it without it being super oily but nothing ever seems to work! Well hopefully this site will help! Thanks!!

~Krystal

Hello, Krystal! Nice to meet you! :) Haha, your hair story sounds similar to mine. I flat ironed my hair for several years because I figured it was the easiest way to handle my hair. Just started going natural a few months ago.

My hair is mixed 3b/3a (3a on the bottom, and here and there throughout the hair). I've found that leaving in regular conditioners work really well on my hair (so far lol), so I haven't done much to my hair other than deep conditioning every week.

I have tried mousses and gels, but those seem to dry my hair out so I don't really use them much. I have tried leave-in conditioners and de-frizz creams, and those have worked out well, but they're not really needed, so I don't use them much unless my hair is just really having a bad day, lol.

Anyways, welcome to the forums! Good luck on your journey to soft and yummy curls--without the frizz and crunchiness.
    Just rockin' the natural curls.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file