Excited for Christmas??

CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
So many posts going around about people who don't enjoy this season, wondering whos looking forward to Christmas??

I'm so excited to see all my family!! A few were away at Thanksgiving, so this is the first time everyone will be togeather since the summer :)

I bought some great gifts and can't wait for people to open them!

We got my parents a 50" TV and my Dad is going to be blown away!!! My Mom also got him a 37" for his office (we had no idea the other had bought it!) so thats going to be twice as a great!!

I also got my brother (28 ) a race car set and am so excited for him to open it!!! I can already see all the guys crowded around it Christmas Day playing :lol:

What are you looking forward to??
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn

Comments

• wonderdiana - shopaholic takes a napwonderdiana - shopaholic takes a nap Registered Users Posts: 1,728 Curl Neophyte
    I'm excited but I'm also nervous because I have so many things to do! I still haven't wrapped anything :(

I'm really eager to see what my boyfriend got me. Some things I asked for but he picked some out on his own and he always gets me the best things.

We got my mom a 40" TV. I hope she likes it! She's never had a TV that size.
    2C/3A -- wurly!
  • fraufrau Registered Users Posts: 6,130 Curl Neophyte
    haven't purchased a single christmas gift or card.
    i am totally unprepared for christmas.
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Registered Users Posts: 2,648 Curl Neophyte
    I'm very excited for this Christmas. It will be just the four of us! Last Christmas was loud and crazy and crowded with 20+ people in my house. I was pregnant, and had been cooking, cleaning and preparing for three days. I'd spent several weeks buying presents for everyone who came to my house. And it would have been great and worth it, if not for the drama that ensued and some people's thankless attitudes. So this year, we fibbed and told our parents that we were going away. It was the only way that we would be able to spend Christmas at home, just us.

I bought us all Christmas pajamas, and will present them to the family on Christmas eve. Christmas day will be spent opening presents, making a special Christmas breakfast, messing around with all the present, making our special Christmas dinner, and generally spending a day together completely disconnected from the world...all in our Christmas pajamas, to the tune of Christmas carols, and with a nice fire going.

I can't wait! :toothy8:

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    That sounds awesome CC!!!!!

Whats for breakfast??

I usually do a baked french toast, fried potatoes, sausages and bacon. Then we have fruit, sweet rolls, croissants, cheeses and stuff. Looking for some new ideas this year though!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • SariaSaria Registered Users Posts: 15,963
    I'm off Christmas, so that will be nice, and I'll actually get the next day off, thankfully. Like a lot of cultures, dinner is on Christmas Eve, so I'll be eating leftovers really, but that's fine.
    What I am looking forward to is that I can finally get baking. Even though it means getting up pretty early on both days to plough through the work. Unfortunately I'll be done with treats after Christmas is over, but I think most people don't mind. :)
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • deedlesdeedles Registered Users Posts: 2,467 Curl Connoisseur
    My folks are coming by train tomorrow! They are staying almost a full week which for them is NUTS!!

They haven't seen the baby since he was 3 or 4 months old and now he's over 11 months!

So right now I'm working my way around my apartment cleaning room by room... Thank God Colin is napping!

My inlaws are coming for New Years. yippee (Sigh)
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
    That sounds awesome CC!!!!!

Whats for breakfast??

I usually do a baked french toast, fried potatoes, sausages and bacon. Then we have fruit, sweet rolls, croissants, cheeses and stuff. Looking for some new ideas this year though!

img14l.jpg

French Toast with Pear-Cranberry Compote

How good does that look? With bacon, of course!

But, what's up with the baked french toast? Do tell! That sounds interesting! So does all the other stuff you have. That's right up my alley! Big breakfast, nosh while we play, then big dinner.

• PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    Now that everything is done - shopping, work parties, friend parties, wrapping, our anniversary - I'm psyched for Christmas! It'd be better if we could be at home at Mom's but we were just there for Thanksgiving, which is the bigger holiday for us (big family reunion on Dad's side)...but I'll make do with being here. At least it won't snow! :D

My husband just found out he has both Christmas Eve and Christmas day off, so we're planning brunch Christmas morning while we open presents, then off to see the new True Grit movie.

I'm also REALLY looking forward to having time off, at home, with no houseguests. Woo!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    That looks awesome!!!!!

I think it was originally an allrecipes.com recipe, but I have made it so many times I just eyeball it now!!

Peel and chop/slice up 6-8 apples and mix in a bowl with about a cup of raisins, a cup of butter and a cup of brown sugar. I'm guessing numbers because I just eye everything. I sometimes melt the butter & sugar togeather. Add vanilla and a little rum or triple sec. Spread across the bottom of a casserole dish.

Beat 6-8 eggs and mix with milk & vanilla. Like you would for french toast.

The original recipe called for italian bread, but I've always done raisen. You can either leave the pieces whole or tear into pieces. Tatses the same, but looks a little better of you tear them up. Then just dip them in the egg mix and layer across the apple/raisen mix.

Cover in foil and let sit over night. In the morning pop in the oven at 350 and bake for and hour, removing the foil for the last 15 minutes or so.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • NalliaNallia Registered Users Posts: 2,979
    I'm excited for Christmas too! I've always loved Christmas, but now that I have children it's even more fun. I can't wait for them to open their presents! I love seeing their reactions.

I got a 47" TV for Christmas and my husband got a new netbook, but they're already opened and set up. My husband and I get too excited when we get each other things and can never wait to give them to each other. LOL
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
    That looks awesome!!!!!

I think it was originally an allrecipes.com recipe, but I have made it so many times I just eyeball it now!!

Peel and chop/slice up 6-8 apples and mix in a bowl with about a cup of raisins, a cup of butter and a cup of brown sugar. I'm guessing numbers because I just eye everything. I sometimes melt the butter & sugar togeather. Add vanilla and a little rum or triple sec. Spread across the bottom of a casserole dish.

Beat 6-8 eggs and mix with milk & vanilla. Like you would for french toast.

The original recipe called for italian bread, but I've always done raisen. You can either leave the pieces whole or tear into pieces. Tatses the same, but looks a little better of you tear them up. Then just dip them in the egg mix and layer across the apple/raisen mix.

Cover in foil and let sit over night. In the morning pop in the oven at 350 and bake for and hour, removing the foil for the last 15 minutes or so.

Oooooo, I like the sound of that. I like it a lot! Make ahead, and then just pop in the oven, along with the bacon!

• AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    LOL, as you can tell from my other thread, I'm not at the moment, BUT I am excited for my son experiencing Christnas/getting his gifts, and I am starting to get excited that this is going to be the last year of multi-household extended family foolishness because NEXT year, I'm going to make the Christmas I want and it's going to be great!

The food in this thread sounds soooooooo good.....
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Right, Amneris? I'm getting so hungry thinking about my Christmas menu!

Now I need dinner ideas! I want to make yummilicious stuff, but I don't want to spend a lot of time with day of prepping. We are making crab cakes, and I can prep those a day or two in advance. I'm also thinking of fish fillets in garlic sauce (or more specifically, pescado al ajillo).

I found this recipe
    4872807532_376a22b451.jpg

And this one
    Pescado-Al-Ajillo.jpg

The first one looks much better (my mouth is watering just looking at that photo). But, I like the idea of making the ajillo and pouring it over to finish from the second recipe. That way, I can have a separate batch of fish for my daughter. What to do, what to do?

• AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    CocoaCoily wrote: »
    Right, Amneris? I'm getting so hungry thinking about my Christmas menu!

Now I need dinner ideas! I want to make yummilicious stuff, but I don't want to spend a lot of time with day of prepping. We are making crab cakes, and I can prep those a day or two in advance. I'm also thinking of fish fillets in garlic sauce (or more specifically, pescado al ajillo).

I found this recipe
    4872807532_376a22b451.jpg

And this one
    Pescado-Al-Ajillo.jpg

The first one looks much better (my mouth is watering just looking at that photo). But, I like the idea of making the ajillo and pouring it over to finish from the second recipe. That way, I can have a separate batch of fish for my daughter. What to do, what to do?

Oh my, that DOES look good. When in doubt, make two dishes!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• spring1onuspring1onu Registered Users Posts: 16,528 Curl Connoisseur
    I am very excited!! My mother-in-law and her honey are here to spend the holidays with us. My husband has most of this week off except he has to check in for a few hours on Thursday in the office. I'm making my first big turkey this year and I'm going to do an early Christmas Eve dinner so we can just hang out and eat leftovers on Christmas day. I might start my dressing today just to get a jump start on cooking.

I only gave my husband two suggestions for gifts because I just couldn't think of anything so I have NO clue what is under the tree for me. I spy a big box though! :lol: He calls me the gift ninja because I can usually figure out what it is just from the box, but not this year.

For Christmas breakfast I'm doing overnight sticky buns, easiest thing EVER and so gooey and sweet! I want to do a bunch of appetizers for us to snack on for NYE, but I haven't come up with anything yet.

Overnight Sticky Buns
    1 loaf of frozen bread dough, thawed slightly and cut into 14 pieces - or frozen dinner rolls which I can NOT find here
    ½ package dry butterscotch pudding (cooking kind, not instant)
    ½ C brown sugar
    1 C chopped nuts, pecans or walnuts
    1 stick melted butter
    Cinnamon

Grease bundt pan well. Sprinkle nuts in bottom. Arrange chunks of bread dough on top of nuts and sprinkle with ½ package pudding and brown sugar. Sprinkle with cinnamon and pour melted butter over all. Allow to sit overnight in oven covered with a tea towel or cling wrap sprayed with Pam. Remove from oven and preheat to 350, remove towel and cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Invert onto plate and serve
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    CocoaCoily wrote: »
    Oooooo, I like the sound of that. I like it a lot! Make ahead, and then just pop in the oven, along with the bacon!

So easy and so yummy!!! Good with other fruits aswell, but I always do it this way for Christmas!
    Audrey Hepburn
    spring1onu wrote: »
    Overnight Sticky Buns
    1 loaf of frozen bread dough, thawed slightly and cut into 14 pieces - or frozen dinner rolls which I can NOT find here
    ½ package dry butterscotch pudding (cooking kind, not instant)
    ½ C brown sugar
    1 C chopped nuts, pecans or walnuts
    1 stick melted butter
    Cinnamon

Grease bundt pan well. Sprinkle nuts in bottom. Arrange chunks of bread dough on top of nuts and sprinkle with ½ package pudding and brown sugar. Sprinkle with cinnamon and pour melted butter over all. Allow to sit overnight in oven covered with a tea towel or cling wrap sprayed with Pam. Remove from oven and preheat to 350, remove towel and cook for 25 to 30 minutes. Invert onto plate and serve

Oh...I'm gonna do these!!!!!

What do you mean by frozen bread dough though? I've seen the partially cooked stuff, but is this just dough?
    Audrey Hepburn
  • RimiRimi Registered Users Posts: 2,001 Curl Neophyte
    I'm so excited for Christmas! I love giving my family gifts that I know they don't expect, but will love.

I got my mom two turtlenecks and I'm still deciding on a necklace to give her

For my dad, I'm getting a pair of black converse sneakers that I remember him saying he wanted months ago.

I'm giving my older sister my neon green and hot pink skinny corduroys that are too big for me that she's been wanting for at least a year.

My dad's mom will be getting a pair of earrings and my other grandma will be getting a caplet.

We'll probably get my oldest cousin some false lashes (haha!).

My aunt got an embellished top.

My best friend just came over and brought me my Christmas gift...Teavana tea! Num! He knows how much i luuuurv tea :love5:
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
    It's in the freezer section with the garlic bread and ready made biscuits. It's just a 1lb loaf of frozen bread dough or a bag of frozen dough balls for rolls. For some reason they don't sell the dough balls for rolls in my area though! So weird. So, I bought a 3 pack of frozen loaf dough and let it thaw on the counter about 20-30 minutes. It gets a little soft but is still frozen enough to slice easily.

If you need any further convincing:
    DSCF0351.JPG
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
    Im started to feel excited :)

No family visits this year - so just me and my parents, just like any other day really.

So what Im looking forward to is the presents (we wont be having any food out of the ordinary really) and giving them their gifts. And getting to play some games (its the only day of the year my dad will consent to bring any games out).
  • curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
    I'm looking forward to it. Although I'm sure it's going to be one of those years where the build up is more exciting than the day. But that's one of the traditions of Christmas.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • NetGNetG Registered Users Posts: 8,116
    I'm starting to get excited! My stepbrother who was living in town is up in Colorado now, so getting to see him again will be awesome. Usually I'm excited about gifts I'm giving, and this year I didn't have anything super inspired. Hopefully everyone will like my gifts anyway, though... The two best gifts were already given - my aunt and I sent my uncle (her brother) to LA for a USC marching band alumni event he was super excited about, and I bought my aunt a new phone/signed up for the phone bill to be paid from my account every month.
    I'm normally extravagant in gift giving because none of us actually buy ourselves anything, but this year I bought a horse and now am working on getting horse facilities built at the new house, and just don't have the funds to go overboard like normal. I get the impression a few people are going overboard on me, which doesn't normally happen, so I guess I have to figure out how to appreciate it and not feel overwhelmed being the one receiving!

Christmas has been my favorite holiday since my dad remarried. Since my family is Jewish and stepfamily is Christian, I had no family obligations to be anywhere else. Since my stepmother has 5 kids, their house was always hectic and loud. Christmas morning Dad and I would get up early, he'd get the turkey in, and we stuff mushrooms, make pigs in a blanket, etc., and it was always our quiet time to hang out and talk. I love it and still look forward to it! :)
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
    Thanks springy....if I can find the dough I'm definitely doing those!!!!!
    NetG wrote: »
    Christmas has been my favorite holiday since my dad remarried. Since my family is Jewish and stepfamily is Christian, I had no family obligations to be anywhere else. Since my stepmother has 5 kids, their house was always hectic and loud. Christmas morning Dad and I would get up early, he'd get the turkey in, and we stuff mushrooms, make pigs in a blanket, etc., and it was always our quiet time to hang out and talk. I love it and still look forward to it! :)

Awwww....that made me smile :)
    Audrey Hepburn
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    I'm very excited! We're in Florida visiting my family. My sister and her husband are also in town from Virginia; we hadn't seen them in a year and a half. We just found out she's having a baby, so that's a nice extra Christmas surprise. :) I'm looking forward to the kids opening presents. We didn't even bring the presents for the kids from us; we'll open them back home in Texas.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
    MsSpringy!!!!!!

I cannot find this dough ANYWHERE!!!! 3 Grocery stores and I could only find pizza & pastry dough :(

What about those Pillsbury biscuits? Would that work???

Just found this recipe and might try it....

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/grands-monkey-bread/7a1e41b1-4708-4028-8ce6-fcb5baebbc19/
    Audrey Hepburn
    Frozen bread dough is basically just lean bread dough, which can be used for baguettes, rolls, and pizza, among other things. So if you had pizza dough, it's fairly similar, if not the same thing depending on who makes it. I personally like rich or enriched doughs for sweet breads like sticky buns.
    Making dough for sticky buns from scratch is not much work and you probably have all the ingredients for it. It only takes the effort of mixing it up, and waiting, so it's only slightly more work than using pre-bought dough. Just throwing it out there if you must have some buns (;)).
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Thanks Saria!!!

I've done cinnamon buns a few times from scratch and it was always pretty easy. I just don't have the time today and liked the idea of something quick and fiddle free to have in the morning!
    Audrey Hepburn
  • CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Registered Users Posts: 1,174
    I'm totally excited for Christmas! Me, My Parents and My Grandad! Same as every year! Dinner is a Roast and all the trimmings (No meat for me and my dad since we're veggie) and beef and lamb for the carnivores. AND Macaroni Cheese! Yum Yum Yum! And a Cake with ice-cream! (Shop-bought dessert.... :p ) AND my cat has a present too... Cat Treats!
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: http://walkintowhispers.blogspot.com/
    I think canned biscuits will work just fine, might have a little different texture, but it will still taste gooooood! I was going to suggest making the dough too, but I know the main reason I do it is because I'm pooped from all the other cooking I've been doing and I want the easy way out!! :lol:

The first time I was going to make this I went to FIVE different dern groceries and finally found the loaf dough. I still have a hard time finding it, but I know back home in GA they're very easy to find. It baffled me, I guess it's just a regional thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file