Hello from a Canadian, with a few 3a questions (& pics)!

Nutmeg!Nutmeg! Posts: 3Registered Users
Hello, everyone!

I've been lurking for a couple of months, and finally decided to take the plunge and go CG (this is the first day). I thought I'd say hello, and ask a couple of questions, since everyone here is so wonderfully nice!

I've been reading up on what hair type I am, and, although my curls aren't very tight, they don't seem to fit any type 2 descriptions. I have a LOT of hair, but it's not particularly fine or coarse. It hangs on to water like crazy, takes forever to blow dry, but blow dries stick straight, even without combing. And, as I go along, I think the curls will tighten up, so I'm totally at a loss. I think I might be 3a, but I'd love your advice.

(EDIT: Additional information: high density, med-high porosity, medium texture.)

001-2.jpg

002-1.jpg

I also have one small question about going CG: I'm using Herbal Essences Totally Twisted, which I know has some 'cones in it, but very little. The thing is, for some reason, my hair seems to love 'cones. Is this just because it needs to transition? If I use this conditioner and shampoo the roots once a week (the roots are the only place that seems to get greasy), will this be okay, do you think? I've got quite a bit left, and so I don't want to waste it.

You guys are awesome, I've learned so much from this forum!
Megan
Still experimenting! Just started CG (December 2010).

[Medium porosity, medium thickness, medium texture, highly dense, protein sensitive. Mixture of 2a and 3a. (I know, go figure, eh?)]

Trying to get 'er done with as few products as possible:
Co-Wash and Conditioner: Nature's Gate Herbal Blend (which my hair hates, so be warned. Switching soon.)

Comments

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi, did you look at the pictures in the 2c thread? You might fit in there with us, curl-wise.

My hair takes a while to get wet, and a long time to get dry, because it is very non-porous, very resistant. Yours might be like this or might be that the water is trapped by the silicones, because if it was resistant it probably wouldn't straighten so easily.

And yes, of course it's fine to use up what you have before transitioning, or keep it on hand in case you don't like your results. But I think it's better to go ahead and shampoo if you are using silicone products.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • Nutmeg!Nutmeg! Posts: 3Registered Users
    Hmmm, I think you're right about the porosity. If there were holes in my hair, it'd definitely dry much more quickly. Now that I think of it, it's probably just regular porosity, since it gets wet easily enough. The silicones are probably what made it take such a long time to dry!

I think I'll give CG a real go (and nevermind about the conditioner, since my sister has already stolen it: I went out and got some Nature's Gate :)). I'll also definitely come hang around the 2c forum (although I've noticed some of my curls tightening already, 2 days in!), and say hi to everyone!
    Still experimenting! Just started CG (December 2010).

[Medium porosity, medium thickness, medium texture, highly dense, protein sensitive. Mixture of 2a and 3a. (I know, go figure, eh?)]

Trying to get 'er done with as few products as possible:
    Co-Wash and Conditioner: Nature's Gate Herbal Blend (which my hair hates, so be warned. Switching soon.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file