Lost my battle with hair after 26 years

blueflowerblueflower Posts: 6Registered Users
Hi everyone,

I am a fellow curly/wavy here. I have always hated my hair. I always prayed to god that one day when I wake up I wud have silky straight hair. But now after years of struggling and fighting with my hair I am giving up. I will now let my hair be what it wants to be and how it wants to be. I have been reading this forum for about 2 mnths. I started CG for about a month now. I am satisfied with the results compared to how my hair was before but I still think it can be a LOT better than this.
My hair is very dry and hair falls a lot ( i cant figure out really whether it falls or breaks ) I have considerable amount of frizz which I think is all those broken hair. I never blow dry , let it air dry. I think I am a type 2b/c. I know classification of hair doesnt matter but I do wanna know. Please let me know if u guys think my hair is 2b or 2c. I use tressme naturals to co wash and aussie deep condition as a regular conditioner. Sometimes I even use the same tresseme as the regular conditioner. When its towel dry I put the tressme curl hydration styling lotion creme and then put on the aussie catch-the-wave mousse and scrunch. thats it.
Any suggestion on how to make my hair look not so dry and look shiny? I want chunky curls not think curls like mine. Do you think I am doing everything all rite?

Please help. I really want to love my hair.

Thank you.

1st pic is before CG and the rest taken today. I washed my hair 2 days ago. Last pic is a randon grp of hair thats not curly. lol.
Also I do pineapple.

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    I would definitely agree with you about your hair typing -- 2b or more likely 2c. I can see the improvement in your hair already -- it looks great! But, I think there are a few problems with your routine. Your Tresemme Curl Hydration styling lotion creme and Aussie Catch the Wave Mousse both have silicones in in ('cones for short), and they do not mix very well with a CO-washing routine. They need to be removed with a harsh sulfate shampoo. Eventually, 'cones can build up on your hair, resulting in the dry, brittle locks and frizzies that you described. Here are the ingredients that I found:

Catch the Wave Mousse:

Water, Isobutane, Propane, Polyquaternium-4, Glycerin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Lauramine Oxide, PEG-PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Methylparaben, Dimethiconol, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Laureth-4, Laureth-23, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract, Anigozanthos Flavidus Flower/Leaf Extract, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice

Tresemme Styling Creme:
    Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Behentrimonium Chloride, Dmdm Hydantoin, Steareth-21, Fragrance (Parfum), Disodium Edta, Hexyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Alpha-isomethyl Ionone, Polysorbate 20, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Tocopheryl Acetate, Panthenol, Ascorbic Acid, Niacinamide, Biotin.

The terms in bold are silicones (they normally end in -cone, -conol, or -xane), the terms that I underlined are water-soluble cones (you don't need to worry about these -- I italicized them just so you'd know what they looked like), and the terms in italics are polyquats (these have the potential to build up on hair -- some hair eats them up, other hair rejects polyquats, hence the buildup.) I'd start by doing a sulfate shampoo to rid your hair of all those nasty 'cones and getting yourself some new stylers! The drugstore gels that some people rave about on here are the LA Looks and Herbal Essences gels. You can explore the stores for others -- you just need to be on the lookout for polyquats and 'cones. Once you do your sulfate poo and eliminate the styling products with those ingredients in them, you'll be on the road to happy, healthy hair. Also, be sure to check out the 2's forum. We have a friendly "wavy" community down there.

Good luck! And I hope this helps you.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Try to hang in there. Loving what you've got is a wonderful thing.
  • blueflowerblueflower Posts: 6Registered Users
    Hi guys thank you for your comments. I'd def try to avoid the cyclo....blah lol and i am not going to give up. Go Curly!!
  • hecatemelhecatemel Posts: 31Registered Users
    Congrats on becoming CG!!

To add on to the earlier comments, you might want to experiment with different products and see what your hair likes. Different products work for different people. Alot of the ladies here use the Curl Junkie products and swear by it. You can get some samples from Kathymack to see if you like them.

Remember to wash your hair one last time with a clarifying shampoo to get rid of all the cones!

Your hair looks great so hang in there!!

2b/c, thick, medium-coarse and Currently using

Deep condition: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
    Low Poo: DevaCurl Low Poo
    Condition: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave In: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Leave In
    Style: Herbal Essences Set Me Up
  • xyzioloxyziolo Posts: 232Registered Users
    blueflower wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am a fellow curly/wavy here. I have always hated my hair. I always prayed to god that one day when I wake up I wud have silky straight hair. But now after years of struggling and fighting with my hair I am giving up. I will now let my hair be what it wants to be and how it wants to be. I have been reading this forum for about 2 mnths. I started CG for about a month now. I am satisfied with the results compared to how my hair was before but I still think it can be a LOT better than this.
    My hair is very dry and hair falls a lot ( i cant figure out really whether it falls or breaks ) I have considerable amount of frizz which I think is all those broken hair. I never blow dry , let it air dry. I think I am a type 2b/c. I know classification of hair doesnt matter but I do wanna know. Please let me know if u guys think my hair is 2b or 2c. I use tressme naturals to co wash and aussie deep condition as a regular conditioner. Sometimes I even use the same tresseme as the regular conditioner. When its towel dry I put the tressme curl hydration styling lotion creme and then put on the aussie catch-the-wave mousse and scrunch. thats it.
    Any suggestion on how to make my hair look not so dry and look shiny? I want chunky curls not think curls like mine. Do you think I am doing everything all rite?

Please help. I really want to love my hair.

Thank you.

1st pic is before CG and the rest taken today. I washed my hair 2 days ago. Last pic is a randon grp of hair thats not curly. lol.
    Also I do pineapple.

It looks 2-bish. And it is beautiful.
    Don't towel dry. Dab it gently with a paper towel to soak up the water. :-)
    Keep it up, your hair will thank you and you will be very pleased.
  • xyzioloxyziolo Posts: 232Registered Users
    It looks like you could benefit from trimming the ends too.
    Once you do that it will look thicker, more even and grow stronger.

You're doing great!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file