High School Curlies: Am I the only one who...

RimiRimi Registered Users Posts: 2,001 Curl Neophyte
...is already thinking about prom? The hair, the dress, the shoes! I've already got ideas stored up in my noggin' of the look I'm going for!

What about you? Have you started plotting and planning or has the thought not even entered your mind yet?

21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!

Comments

• EtincelleEtincelle Registered Users Posts: 48
    absolutely not!

i'm also wondering who my date will be :toothy4: hahah. but mostly the dress :) and my beautiful, lovely curls!!!!

oh, prom...please come sooner!

miss etincelle?
    former dreadhead and now a curly girl! :mrgreen:
    type 3b/brunette
    trying to grow my hair to at least bsl, but no longer than wl
    now on cg and seeing how it's working so far :)
  • Curly_LuvCurly_Luv Registered Users Posts: 22
    Haha, I'm not in high school anymore, but I do remember prom. If you are just now starting to think about it you are WAY behind. I started thinking about prom and everything before senior year started. Just a piece of advice: make sure to practice your prom hairstyle before the day comes and always have a back up. I made sure to do mine a few times so when I styled it the day before it would come out right. Plus, if the style totally failed, I would do a fancy afro.
    Hair type: mostly 4a with tight waves in the front, very dense, high porosity.

Current Length: Mid-back
    Ultimate Length goal: Waist or Hip length

My hair loves: honey and olive oil
    My hair hates: being contained
    Products I use: GF Length and Strength conditioner, EVCO, EVOO, Honey, Eco Styler Olive Oil, CD Tui Oil

_________

event.png
  • RimiRimi Registered Users Posts: 2,001 Curl Neophyte
    Etincelle wrote: »
    absolutely not!

i'm also wondering who my date will be :toothy4: hahah. but mostly the dress :) and my beautiful, lovely curls!!!!

oh, prom...please come sooner!

Oh goodness, yay!

I'm pretty sure that I know who my date will be...probs my best friend. He just better not get it twisted and think that just b/c we're friends he can call me up the weekend before with a "hey, uh you wanna go to prom?" -.- that just won't work. Good grief, at least do it in person!

And oh my...I have at least 15 dresses bookmarked, like 10 pairs of shoes, 5 make-up looks and, of course,all the hair possibilities! Is there anyone out there who's straightening for prom? I can't wait to rock my kinks and curls :)

Any other ladies? What sort of look are you going for? :)

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

Bumpeh! Anyone else?

• waviewavie Registered Users Posts: 237
    Mememe!

I'm probably going with friends. My school is tiny and we find that there are no guys worth our time ;)

lol.

I'm still trying to figure out my hair though. I hope I can by that time.

I want a dress with a huge long bow around the waist. It's the one thing I've wanted for prom for FOREVER.
    I'm so excited, can you tell?:laughing8:
    Hair type: 2C-3A, very dry, extremely low porosity, med elasticity, insanely thick kinky-wavy.
    HGs: Trader Joe's Nourish spa conditioner, Epsom salt rinse, Joico K-pak conditioner
    wavie wrote: »
    Mememe!

I'm probably going with friends. My school is tiny and we find that there are no guys worth our time ;)

lol.

Haha, I can understand that! If I wasn't such good friends with the guy I'm (probs) going with, I'd def go with friends.
    I'm still trying to figure out my hair though. I hope I can by that time.

Ah! Me too! I have some heat damage that I'm growing out in the front of my hair. Thanks goodness I've already gotten rid of most of it so, come prom season, I'll have only an inch or two to deal with.

Plus, it'll be easier because it'll be spring so I won't be dealing with all these issues that come with winter weather. Woot!
    I want a dress with a huge long bow around the waist. It's the one thing I've wanted for prom for FOREVER.
    I'm so excited, can you tell?:laughing8:

That sounds adorbs! I either want A) a really fitted, knee length (or somewhat shorter) dress, like this OR B) a short dress with a fitted bodice and a fuller skirt, like this. I'm leaning towards option A. And I'm also hoping to find a dress with an open, or at least somewhat exposed, back.

P.S. I see that you said you wanted a dress with a huge, long bow...so I took it upon myself to look for some! Haha, I absolutely LOVE fashion and picking out clothes for other people so I couldn't resist! Oh, and no worries if you don't like any of them :)

A.B.S. by Allen Schwartz
    ABS by Allen Schwartz Strapless Flouncy Dress
    Betsey Johnson EVENING SUMMERS END BUBBLE DRESS
    Marchesa Taffeta Draped-Bow Dress
    Vicky Tiel Ruched Strapless Bow Detail Dress
    Red Valentino Mesh Lace Dress with Bow Waist

What about you other ladies? What do you want your dress to look like? Your makeup? Hair? Do you already have some ideas? Do tell!

Thanks!

I've been looking for longer dresses, but these are really nice as well. I'll bookmark them :happy4:

I love the second one the most - the red one.

Did some searching and I looove this:
    http://www.doitstyle.com/2010-Style-Spaghetti-Straps-Big-Bow-Sash-Lace-Silk-Chiffon-Evening-Gown-Women-Engagement-Dress-Homecoming-Dress-p12247.html

lol, thought I'd share. At 80 bucks, that's a pretty good deal!
    Hair type: 2C-3A, very dry, extremely low porosity, med elasticity, insanely thick kinky-wavy.
    HGs: Trader Joe's Nourish spa conditioner, Epsom salt rinse, Joico K-pak conditioner
  • StrawberriesStrawberries Registered Users Posts: 9
    YAY!! I'm so excited for senior prom already (I'm glad there's people who don't think I'm nuts for already thinking about it!). I think I'm going with one of my good friends, cause unfortunately my BF is long distance and probably won't make it =( But it's okay.

I have no idea what I'm doing about hair and dress. I can't decide what kind of hair- I'm gonna guess curly updo, but it's like, I have my hair curly all the other days of the year so maybe I should change it up? But I'll probably end up curly anyway, hah. Do you guys think it's weird to have a down-do for senior prom? A friend told me it's not formal enough, but my hair is so long it's kind of a shame to put it up :tongue: As you can see, I am quite indecisive!

Dress is gonna be a gown- leaning towards red. Does everyone get theirs altered? I'm only 5'2!!

I'm excited to go to the salon and get hair, nails, makeup done and be pampered hehe. I have no idea how to do make up, so I'll leave it to them :P
    YAY!! I'm so excited for senior prom already (I'm glad there's people who don't think I'm nuts for already thinking about it!). I think I'm going with one of my good friends, cause unfortunately my BF is long distance and probably won't make it =( But it's okay.

I have no idea what I'm doing about hair and dress. I can't decide what kind of hair- I'm gonna guess curly updo, but it's like, I have my hair curly all the other days of the year so maybe I should change it up? But I'll probably end up curly anyway, hah. Do you guys think it's weird to have a down-do for senior prom? A friend told me it's not formal enough, but my hair is so long it's kind of a shame to put it up :tongue: As you can see, I am quite indecisive!

Dress is gonna be a gown- leaning towards red. Does everyone get theirs altered? I'm only 5'2!!

I'm excited to go to the salon and get hair, nails, makeup done and be pampered hehe. I have no idea how to do make up, so I'll leave it to them :P

Well I'm most likely going to wear my hair down, and I definitely think it will look formal enough. I'll probably have braids for about a month or two before prom, so when I show up with curly hair, I think it'll be a surprise. I think you'd look great with a curly down-do! Especially since you know most girls with have their hair straightened. But the pro for straightening is it could be fun to change things up for just one night! :)

Ooh well since you're petite *and* you want a long dress, you might try looking in the petite sections for gowns. You'd save a TON on alterations! :)

I'm doing my own hair so I'm going to save myself about 3 hours on the day of prom to hopefully get a massage along with my mani and pedi (yay!!). I never wear make-up, but I know pretty much what I want. I don't want to have to resort to doing it myself, but the last thing I want is to have someone who has no idea what they're doing making up my face :/. I wanna make sure I look good! Haha :)

bump!

:iroc:

bump :afro:

• alaskantsunamialaskantsunami Registered Users Posts: 421
    2C and all the 3s, iii, F, natural brunette.
    mod CG since 03.21.10

Kelso: Hey, guys? I'm thinking about getting a perm. Hyde, can I get the number of your guy?
    Hyde: I don't have a guy. This righteous moss is a gift from God.
    -That 70s Show
  • roccalumeraroccalumera Registered Users Posts: 51
    My prom is in three weeks! I can't wait:D

My date is a class mate, I already have dark blue knee lenth dress black tights and shoes although I haven't been thinking about make up yet... I have short hair but I want to do the side ponytail don't know if it works, if not I will leave them down...

Sth like this:
    http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUlSOkMzGrYU4jchmpbXrUrJWOYxbF9Yl8JZFgOIg2yS4XEwK_&t=1

or this
    http://hairstyleschat.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/prom-hair-ideas.jpg

Dress: ( the blue one)
    http://wedding-pictures.onewed.com/edgy/files/imagecache/576w/images/1042920/jenny-yoo-bridesmaid-collection-2009-short-dresses-honey-yellow-shantung-casper-blue-eastern-shantung.JPG
    3a/b fine, ii, normal porosity I think...:geek:

Full CG start
    :
    Growing out....again:sad2:

now: chin lentgh
    aim:
    shoulder lentgh

Loves protein and YTC hair mask!

event.png

• voguefashion334voguefashion334 Registered Users Posts: 15
    My prom is not until mid-May; the only thing I'm really looking forward to is after prom but I digress...:occasion5:

Dress: I really want to get something unique I saw at Nordstrom last year. Its hard to describe but imagine a white skirt suit but the skirt is really short and tight and the top is like an asymmetrical corset blouse....I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone

Hair: I'm on a personal growth challenge so hopefully by May my hair with be bra-strap length. It'll be the first time straightening my hair in a while if i keep up with this no-heat regimen. After I hit the dance floor, I know it will be in a bun or fish-tail braid to fight the humidity

Make-up: Nothing special maybe some false lashes and a bold lip

Shoes: Something no less than 5 inches in gold or silver

Date: I also go to a tiny school with slim-pickings. So I'll either go with my best guy friend or one of the two "hotties" SMH
    Last Relaxer: June 11, 2008
    After transitioning for over 2 years, my relaxed ends got rid of themselves:roll:
    Shampoo:Jason Natural Jojoba Shampoo
    Conditioner: TIGI Bed Head Moisture Maniac
    Deep Conditioner: Silk Elements Megasilk Treatment
    Leave-in: Hawaiin Silky 14 in 1 Miracle Worker
    Oils:Coconut Oil and Wild Growth Hair Oil

Current Length: APL
  • voguefashion334voguefashion334 Registered Users Posts: 15

That red dress is stunning!
    Last Relaxer: June 11, 2008
    After transitioning for over 2 years, my relaxed ends got rid of themselves:roll:
    Shampoo:Jason Natural Jojoba Shampoo
    Conditioner: TIGI Bed Head Moisture Maniac
    Deep Conditioner: Silk Elements Megasilk Treatment
    Leave-in: Hawaiin Silky 14 in 1 Miracle Worker
    Oils:Coconut Oil and Wild Growth Hair Oil

Current Length: APL
    Oh by the way -

if you guys know of any reputable/cheap/nice sites that sell dresses, could you please post them?

I'm sort of having trouble finding good ones, but I'll also try to post them.

Thanks!
    Update! :D

okay, i've been searching around and found this ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS dress that i immediately fell in love with:

Ombre Ball Gown with Glitter Tulle Overlay - David's Bridal

and it's under $200! :occasion9:

also maybe thinking about renting a limo with my friends. i've never been in a limo before......

miss etincelle?
    type 3b/brunette
    Oh by the way -

if you guys know of any reputable/cheap/nice sites that sell dresses, could you please post them?

I'm sort of having trouble finding good ones, but I'll also try to post them.

Thanks!

I think it'd be easier to check out store websites such a nordstrom.com and bloomingdales.com as opposed to the typical "prom" websites like promgirl.com and such...that way you'll pretty much guarantee that you won't be getting scammed

okay, i've been searching around and found this ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS dress that i immediately fell in love with:

also maybe thinking about renting a limo with my friends. i've never been in a limo before......

that would look amazing on you! especially because you look to be tall and thin from your avatar pic (hope that's not creepy...? :confused3:)

i've been in a limo before, and it's so much fun! especially with friends and good music :)

• Lotsa loopsLotsa loops Registered Users Posts: 130
    My prom isn't until next year, but when I saw this thread I just head to comment! I'm definitely going to wear my hair curly, but I think I'll go over it with a curling iron, and go for a sort of Taylor Swift/Reese Witherspoon look - my hair isn't blonde at all, but I totally admire Taylor's curls, even if she touches up with curling iron, and I'm not sure if Reese is curly or not, but I like her look when she wears her hair curly.
    Hair Type: I was thinking thick, fine 3A, but honestly I have no clue! I do know I have a super flat top, and frizz on the sides.
    No - Poo Shampoo: Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees More Moisture Condish
    Products: Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, AG Recoil Curl Activator
  • letta510letta510 Registered Users Posts: 60
    girl i dont think im going but my friends have been planning since the first day of school lol
    letta510 wrote: »
    girl i dont think im going but my friends have been planning since the first day of school lol

Eeps! Why not??? :O

bump :batman:

RiMiDa wrote: »

that would look amazing on you! especially because you look to be tall and thin from your avatar pic (hope that's not creepy...? :confused3:)

i've been in a limo before, and it's so much fun! especially with friends and good music :)

hahah thank you :) i don't think it's stalkerish don't worry :toothy10:

anyway, yeah so three-ish months!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH! NOT ENOUGH TIME AT ALLLLL

miss etincelle?
    type 3b/brunette

hahah thank you :) i don't think it's stalkerish don't worry :toothy10:

anyway, yeah so three-ish months!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH! NOT ENOUGH TIME AT ALLLLL

eeps! I know! mine is in almost exactly two months...and i've done nothing except buy this clutch which i'm in love with...but i don't even have a dress to go with it :sad6:.

i decided to rent my prom dress this year, so i've definitely narrowed it down to about 4, but i'm worried they won't go with the bag i've chosen, and i don't wanna hafta return it! argh, i'm between a rock and a hard place.

plus, i need to have all my ducks in a row by the end of february, because lacrosse season is kicking into high gear and i won't have time for shopping and all that.

eeps! what's a gal to do?

tell me chicas: how's your prom plannig going? are you ahead of the game? behind?

p.s. etincelle- have you bought that lovely dress yet??

• billiebee123billiebee123 Registered Users Posts: 7
    Amsale Long, Ruffle Front Silk Dress - Evening - Bloomingdales.com

soo i hate to wear grey... but im in love with this dress.

and i am SO stressed about my hair. i hate to straighten it, because the it doesnt look like me, but curly hair is so unpredictable....

and these are so beautiful... i need them to go on sale.
    http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=140&uid=2256573370
    "As a matter of fact, I rather feel
    like expressing myself now."
    ~ Audrey Hepburn

and i am SO stressed about my hair. i hate to straighten it, because the it doesnt look like me, but curly hair is so unpredictable....

i have the same dilemma, but i'm trying to grow my hair out and next year, i plan on straightening for prom...

i'll just hafta pray to the heavens that my kinks and curls behave for just that one day!

• Bridal.WreathBridal.Wreath Registered Users Posts: 65
    Ahh, prom! I remember those days. I ended up going with my friends. BTW, if you want "cheap" dresses, I would look during the summertime. I found a "dated" prom dress for $20 at Younkers. And when I say dated, I mean last years fashion.
    CG since Feb. 18, 2011
    BTW, if you want "cheap" dresses, I would look during the summertime. I found a "dated" prom dress for $20 at Younkers. And when I say dated, I mean last years fashion.

Oh yes, i'm definitely looking to save money for prom, that's why i'm renting my dress! yippee!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file