Curly does NOT equal frizzy!

paisley435paisley435 Posts: 11Registered Users
Ugh... I am so sick of people (no offence intended here) with straight hair coming up to me, and saying stuff like 'Oh, your hair's all frizzy today!' when it isn't. Even though they mean it as some kind of compliment, it still grates me. I mean, there is a distinction between curly hair, and frizzy hair. But to straight-haired people, there doesn't seem to be!
For example, yesterday a friend approached me and started touching my hair, which by the way, I hate - I don't know about the rest of you curlies, but my hair gets all mussed up, and doesn't go back to normal! Anyway... the friend said to me 'I don't like your hair like this. I like it better when it's all poufy and frizzy.' I think she was referring to the fact that because it was a humid day, my hair was prone to frizzing, so I put extra mousse on my hair that day. Ugh... anyway, that's my rant over and done with! :)

Comments

• SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Frizz isn't necessarily a bad word. A lot of girls on this board adore it, actually. I know a girl on youtube with pin straight, fine hair. In her "how to do hair" videos, she is always trying to do things that create more volume and "body." She also repeats that she likes her hair "messy." In this case "body" = "poufy" and "messy" = "frizzy." Have you noticed how girls with fine, straight hair tease their hair? Back comb it? When I first heard of it, I couldn't believe it since they are literally TRYING to create "frizz."

You're right, frizzy isn't the same thing as curly, but I don't think the people were trying to be rude or mean... Yes, they were wrong and possibly ignorant, but I think they mostly just had a poor choice of words.

Hope that helps! I'm sorry they hurt your feelings.
  • waviewavie Posts: 237Registered Users
    Reminds me of the Pantene "frizzy to smooth" commercials where when they show the frizzy hair, it's really just curly IMO :angry4:
    Hair type: 2C-3A, very dry, extremely low porosity, med elasticity, insanely thick kinky-wavy.
    HGs: Trader Joe's Nourish spa conditioner, Epsom salt rinse, Joico K-pak conditioner
  • erinnifererinnifer Posts: 3Registered Users
    The other day I was grocery shopping with my friend, and she happens to be a hair stylist. Anyway, she had her hair done straight that day and bangs side swept. A lady we both used to work with came up to us and told me i should style my hair "all nice like hers". I dont think my hair looks bad and neither does my friend so we were just bewildered by this lady's statement. Sophie, the lady, her hair is naturally curly but she blows it out everyday and it's really frizzy. My hair has some frizz but it was just so silly how she was pretty much trying to tell me my hair would look better straight! people are strange :happy7:
    2a/2b natural wavy since june 2010
    learning how to handle my hair after 5 years of flat iron abuse!
  • CopaseticCopasetic Posts: 222Registered Users
    This drives me insane too! A lot of people know nothing about curly hair.

And the hair-touching thing drives me insane too. It's hard to politely tell people not to touch me.
    co-wash: exact vanilla
    rinse out: tresseme naturals
    leave-in: giovanni direct leave-in
    stylers: kccc + he totally twisted mousse + coconut oil to sotc
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Their mission is to convince us our hair is naturally ugly, and will only become socially acceptable if we use every product they can sell us. After all, they succeeded in selling us on suds as the critical ingredient in shampoo, and look where that took them!
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    erinnifer wrote: »
    The other day I was grocery shopping with my friend, and she happens to be a hair stylist. Anyway, she had her hair done straight that day and bangs side swept. A lady we both used to work with came up to us and told me i should style my hair "all nice like hers".
    Wow, that is just shockingly rude. I don't even know what I'd say to someone in that situation.
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
  • porque_pigporque_pig Posts: 238Registered Users
    Saila wrote: »
    In this case "body" = "poufy" and "messy" = "frizzy." Have you noticed how girls with fine, straight hair tease their hair? Back comb it? When I first heard of it, I couldn't believe it since they are literally TRYING to create "frizz."

I backcomb my hair when I wear it up. I'm a fine and thin-haired wavy, and a little more "frizz" would be nice, actually!

Most hair in its natural state has a little frizz or some flyaways. It's normal. I try not to fight it too much. I'm usually more likely to notice frizzy, straightened hair than frizzy, curly hair--it just looks unhealthy.

A notable exception: my hair circa summer 2009. That was some nasty, wild, silicone-laden hair (my frizz got worse when I tried to fight it--when I embraced it, it looked so much better!).
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    porque_pig wrote: »
    Saila wrote: »
    In this case "body" = "poufy" and "messy" = "frizzy." Have you noticed how girls with fine, straight hair tease their hair? Back comb it? When I first heard of it, I couldn't believe it since they are literally TRYING to create "frizz."

I backcomb my hair when I wear it up. I'm a fine and thin-haired wavy, and a little more "frizz" would be nice, actually!

Most hair in its natural state has a little frizz or some flyaways. It's normal. I try not to fight it too much. I'm usually more likely to notice frizzy, straightened hair than frizzy, curly hair--it just looks unhealthy.

A notable exception: my hair circa summer 2009. That was some nasty, wild, silicone-laden hair (my frizz got worse when I tried to fight it--when I embraced it, it looked so much better!).

Yep. I don't worry about frizz like I used to in my younger days. I just worry about taking care of my hair... The rest will sort itself out. No need to sweat over some "misplaced" strands.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file