Adoption experiences

BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm almost 40, and my prospects for a successful pregnancy is getting slimmer and slimmer.
I'm really considering adoption. I'm going to go to a workshop about it at the end of January.

I was wondering if any of you have adopted and what were your experiences with the adoption process.

Thanks,
Boomygrrl
That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
:blob8:

3a/3b

Comments

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    good luck! no input here, just want to saw i've heard of a lot of situations where couples going through the adoption process also get pregnant. i hope it works out for you and your hubby!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    good luck! no input here, just want to saw i've heard of a lot of situations where couples going through the adoption process also get pregnant. i hope it works out for you and your hubby!

I know a couple who adopted TWO children from South America (from different families, same age) and the woman became pregnant during the process! She got pregnant a year after that baby was born once again...now has four kids under six!
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    While I haven't had personal experience with the adoption process, my youngest sister is adopted. My mom adopted her through the foster care system, she's been apart of our family since she was a month old, and the process was finalized when she was about 2 1/2. She turns 20 next month :)

There were obviously hurtles to overcome.. visitation with her biological mother until she abandoned that. The termination of her parental rights. The health issues from having a mother that used drugs during pregnancy. All of which have been dealt with/overcome, and were worth it.

My husband is also adopted (through an agency in the 70s). He doesn't know much about his biological parents at all - they were college students, his father was italian, his mom had really bad eyesite, and that's about it. He loves his adopted parents dearly. Funny side note - he always knew he was adopted, and even at a very young age if someone told him he looked like his dad or mom he would say in an exasperated voice "The are not my biological parents"
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was very good friends with and then dated a man who was one of 3 adopted kids. He was very loved by and loved his parents. All 3 boys knew they were adopted and it was never a problem for them. Even when their adopted parents divorced they were close with both and just went through the normal divorce issues. Both parents were/are great people whom I greatly admire.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks everyone. Any other responses are also greatly appreciated.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • TxCurly0820TxCurly0820 Posts: 39Registered Users
    My sister put my niece up for adoption when she was 17, my niece is now eight and lives about 30 miles away from where we are. Though we do not actually get to visit with her, they agreed on a semi open adoption in which we get photos on birthdays, holidays and special events she is in. My sister went through an adoption agency and actually chose one of the first families that she viewed. At that point the family started having intereraction with all the dr. Appts and we would send them ultra sounds. Once my niece was born, she stayed with my sister in the hospital for the two days before they were discharged and then she went home with her adoptive family. The paperwork was signed at the hospital to terminate her rights, but each state has different adoption laws so you would have to check for the time limit (that they can change their mind, or if the dad has to sign rights off also). Hope that helps!
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    No personal experience, but a friend of mines aunt & uncle adopted 2 sets of siblings.....2 girls, then a girl and a boy. I can't remember where the older girls are from (I'm thinking maybe India) and the 2 younger ones are from Guatamala.

The first two they met while working over there. The whole process was very seamless and they brought them back to Canada quite quickly.

The two younger ones took a lot more time. The dates kept getting pushed back and it was a very emotional time for the whole family.

Its been about 20 years now (the oldest are in their 20s, the other 2 are teens) and a very happy family. Other then normal everyday stuff, one of the happiest families you could know :)
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Boomy, have you been to the workshop yet?
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file