The "I Hate My Comb" thread

mathispaynemathispayne Posts: 21Registered Users
Anyone else "anti-comb" or "anti-Denman" around here? Cause me and combs, it's like a boxing match that I just keep losing, lol! It does help detangle, but geez, why so much hair keeps coming out? No matter how gentle, guess I don't have that gentle "touch".

That and I just don't have time to stand in the shower for 20 minutes trying to get out tangles. I just use my fingers to detangle and keep my hair sectioned in twists. I only touch my hair when dry, that's when it's the strongest. MUCH faster this way.
Hair Type
A Bit of 3b
|&|Mostly 3c

Regimen:
Wash and twist hair with oil & Twist hair for bed
No combs or brushes & No "products"

Comments

• pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    Well you have to look at it this way, if you're only detangling every couple of days or once a week, there's a reason why you think a lot of hair is coming out. Hair sheds, I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, 50-100 strands a day. So think of it those days you aren't detangling . . the hair is still shedding and when you finally take a comb to it, it looks like crap ton of hair is coming out.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    Well you have to look at it this way, if you're only detangling every couple of days or once a week, there's a reason why you think a lot of hair is coming out. Hair sheds, I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong, 50-100 strands a day. So think of it those days you aren't detangling . . the hair is still shedding and when you finally take a comb to it, it looks like crap ton of hair is coming out.

that's how i tend to see things. plus, when i use my fingers it's not as effective as a comb, so all of those shed hairs that get caught up in my hair and aren't removed by a comb just wreak havoc. when i finally do dentangle with a brush or a comb, then it's that much harder because i have all that "saved up" shed hair just chillin' and mixing and getting tangled up with the rest of my hair.
  • mathispaynemathispayne Posts: 21Registered Users
    *sigh* It's kind of the opposite. Like the less I wash, the less I shed...does that make sense to anyone? I know it sounds weird, but when I washed daily and detangled, I ended up with golf-ball amounts of hair. But lately, when I do it weekly or twice a week, I get less hair shedding... Then I stopped using the Denman and wide-tooth comb altogether and used my fingers and I've gotten even less shedding.

Maybe my roots are stronger. Or maybe I'm out of a shedding phase. IDK, but all I know is that shedding less and detangling less is making me happy :flower:
    Hair Type
    A Bit of 3b
    |&|Mostly 3c

Regimen:
    Wash and twist hair with oil & Twist hair for bed
    No combs or brushes & No "products"
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Probably because you're doing a low manipulation type of styling? Messing with your hair less could help it be stronger, as opposed to someone who can't keep their hands out of it.

I don't know though, that's just my opinion.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file