"Straight Hair Makes You Look Slimmer"

ToilsandCoilsToilsandCoils Posts: 1Registered Users
I remember my friend saying that to me once, out of the blue. She is usually sweet and kind, so it was quite a shock to hear that.

But I definitely tried to look at her comment objectively.

I know many women, especially young girls are very conscious about their body and body image is definitely a completely different issue on its own.

In my opinion,women of all shapes and sizes can be beautiful, as long as it's natural and healthy.

When I thought about it, curls and waves mimic the lovely curves most women naturally have, thick or thin.

So I can see why she has that opinion. However I, for one, don't care about "looking slimmer" even if I am not so stick-thin. I'll keep my natural curves in my body and hair.

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've never heard that one before.
  • forbeeforbee Posts: 441Registered Users
    I remember my friend saying that to me once, out of the blue. She is usually sweet and kind, so it was quite a shock to hear that.

I know many women, especially young girls are very conscious about their body and body image is definitely a completely different issue on its own.

In my opinion,women of all shapes and sizes can be beautiful, as long as it's natural and healthy.

When I thought about it, curls and waves mimic the lovely curves most women naturally have, thick or thin.

So I can see why she has that opinion. However I, for one, don't care about "looking slimmer" even if I am not so stick-thin. I'll keep my natural curves in my body and hair.

That's an interesting observation on your friend's part.
    I'm glad that you're accepting your curves though, both in hair and body. :toothy8:
    last relaxer 08/08/09
    all natural since 7/30/10

Shrinkage happens.
  • pjsmommy12pjsmommy12 Posts: 206Registered Users
    I always think I look larger with my hair straight.

My mantra? The bigger the hair, the smaller the butt.
    :alien:Heather

3a, med texture, normal porosity
    poo: one 'n only shiny silver (occasionally)
    co-wash/rinse out: assorted V05 "flavors"
    leave-in/dt: gvp cb
    stylers: ecostyler, bioterra curl cream, salon care aloe vera gel
    hair loves: plopping, clipping & diffusing

i:love7:sally's

• murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    I look like twenty pounds heavier with straight hair....
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yeah - I look much larger with straight hair! Because it hangs so flat around my face.

Odd thing to just say though..
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    pjsmommy12 wrote: »
    I always think I look larger with my hair straight.

My mantra? The bigger the hair, the smaller the butt.
    :toothy10: Awesome!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • vain???janevain???jane Posts: 197Registered Users
    hmm. i look slimmer with big hair. i straightened my hair last month and i felt i looked so different and my cheeks were sooooo on display. chipmunk lol. but hey i guess everyone is different. ♥
    Last Relaxer: Feb 2009
    BC: Feb 2010

fy05ec.jpg

my fotki, updated 2.01.11 ♥
  • baybee323baybee323 Posts: 2Registered Users
    i've heard of this before. i read in a magazine that Beyonce wears her hair curly to emphasize her curves...it does make sense slightly.
  • porque_pigporque_pig Posts: 238Registered Users
    I think that's total nonsense.

It all depends on your face shape and your hair. If you have a round face and fine, thin hair, the straightened hair will only emphasize the roundness of your face (and make you look...curvier, I suppose?). My face kind of looks like a big block when I wear my hair straight, and my forehead looks HUGE. Curly is much more flattering for me (and, in my opinion, makes me look thinner).
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• HipsterSoulHipsterSoul Posts: 1,017Registered Users
    I think the opposite is true. Straight hair basically sits on your head and makes you look bigger than what you are because it shows off all your flaws. With curly/kinky hair, your hair is more noticed than your body, so it makes you appear curvier but smaller because it's hiding your flaws.
  • bribrik10bribrik10 Posts: 203Registered Users
    when i straighten my hair my head looks chubbier because i have a round head
    3a CG
    Cleanser: shea moisture's african black soap cleanser or moisture retention shampoo
    Conditioner: tresemme naturals, shea moisture restorative conditioner
    Syler: shea moisture's curl soufflé and smoothie.
    :angel8:
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I look alot heavier with straight hair. I have a big head and a oval/roundish face so straightening just emphasizes it that much more.

Bigger hair is always better. The bigger the hair, the slimmer my face looks :)
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • MojoDojoMojoDojo Posts: 702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think straight hair makes my face look fatter, really. I don't have an overly fat face, but I think it's proportional...

Think, when your hair is straight, flat against your head, your face takes up 95% of the apparent width of your head, so proportionally, it looks bigger then when your hair is curly, sticking out a bit, so your head suddenly only takes up 80-90% (depending on how curly you are).

I do find the "bigger the hair, the smaller the butt" comment funny as heck though. LOL

WOW I am seriously overthinking things today. :)
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!
  • curlylew66curlylew66 Posts: 1,685Registered Users
    I am one of the few that actually looks thinner with straight hair. :tongue10:
  • BrittneeAubreex3BrittneeAubreex3 Posts: 309Registered Users

I always thought it was the other way around?
    Big curly hair makes you look slimmer. Atleast that's how it is for me.
    :love2: as of 6/12/11.

COwash- Suave Juicy Apple.
    Rinse-out- VO5 Passion Fruit Moisture Milks.

Recovering from a bad glue-in extension job. :sad7:
  • ArJay1230ArJay1230 Posts: 14Registered Users
    I think big hair definitely makes you look slimmer. I also think that natural curls bring out your curves and compliment your body shape if anything. I've never looked at a bigger woman with naturally curly hair and thought her curls made her look bad. Now with woman who have straight hair it's a different story...
  • proudcurlygirlyproudcurlygirly Posts: 478Registered Users
    ArJay1230 wrote: »
    I think big hair definitely makes you look slimmer. I also think that natural curls bring out your curves and compliment your body shape if anything. I've never looked at a bigger woman with naturally curly hair and thought her curls made her look bad. Now with woman who have straight hair it's a different story...

:thumbleft: +1.
    :icon_smile: UK Curly
    Curl type : Boticelli, 3a, loose curls
    Porosity : High
    Texture : Fine/medium (I think!)
    Co-wash/rinse out/leave in : L'oreal Full Restore 5, GFR&S, Schwarzkopf Bio Pomegranite
    Gels : Umberto Giannini Flirty Curls Scrunching Jelly
    Finish product : Boots Naked Style Frizz Fighter Serum or a pea-sized blob of condish smoothed over canopy
    CG since Feb 2011
  • GirlWithUkuleleGirlWithUkulele Posts: 150Registered Users
    I wore my hair straight a week or two ago. I couldn't stand how my face looked. Curly is a better fit for my roundish face.
    Victoria, Keeper of the Celestial Charts and Protector of the Aquamarine Diadem in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

3a/b; low porosity; dense; medium thickness. Growing out a weird haircut.
    Cleanse: As I Am Curl Cowash; Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo
    Condition:Tresemme Naturals
    LI:KCKT; CHS LI
    Stylers: AG Re:Coil; CJCCCCL; KCCC; AG Mousse Gel; HESMU;
    Denman Brush.

Treatments:SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion; Aphogee PT
  • emthefantasticalemthefantastical Posts: 963Registered Users Curl Novice
    Not for me. I look like I've gained 10lbs in my face when I wear my hair straight.
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

• EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I always thought straight hair was supposed to make you look thinner b/c of how it frames your face...but I mean, who cares? Not all these illusions...are we magicians now?
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • VictoriaMVictoriaM Posts: 53Registered Users
    Straight hair makes me look a little bigger because my curly hair is puffy and makes my body look smaller.
  • Lotsa loopsLotsa loops Posts: 130Registered Users
    I'm guessing straight hair just frames your hair different than curly hair and made you look different.
    Hair Type: I was thinking thick, fine 3A, but honestly I have no clue! I do know I have a super flat top, and frizz on the sides.
    No - Poo Shampoo: Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees More Moisture Condish
    Products: Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, AG Recoil Curl Activator

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file