CurlTalk

Are there any products/brands you just refuse to ever purchase?

curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
I was just thinking about this when looking for a leave-in. I refuse to purchase anything from Blended Beauty or Mixed Chicks on principle. Just a lot of drama when theses two lines popped up. I haven't bought anything from Afroveda or Hairveda....I guess I just don't buy into their marketing.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.

Comments

• CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    Heck yea! I refuse to ever purchase anything from Miss Jessies. I believe the products are over priced, especially considering what's in them. I've purchased Afroveda before back when her prices were in the $9 range and I didn't like what they did for my hair but since the fluctuations in her prices and quality issues AND immense lack of integrity with her bad business, I can never bring myself to purchase anything from there ever again.

Other product lines I'd never purchase are Alikay Naturals (youtube), Mixed Chicks, that Beautiful Brown Baby doll product from the youtuber, Wen, Bee Mine, Jessicurl. I've tried the Jessicurl conditioner (my sister has it) and I didn't like it. These lines just don't interest me at all.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • sweetmx85sweetmx85 Posts: 1,017Registered Users
    Miss jessies is ridicules. Id never buy that crap considering the prices. Wen, bee min, afroveda, I tried mixed chicks once and i wont ever again. made my hair straw so that did it for the whole line. idk about too many main stream things either, i prefer small businesses that have good quality for good prices.
    my blog
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlygirlie85.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Its a beauty, natural hair, food, family, and life all combined into one blog. I took a break from it for awhile but I recently started blogging again and Im addicted!

my tumblr natural inspirations and beauty: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsophiams85.tumblr.com%2F" class="Popup

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lotsa_TanglesLotsa_Tangles Posts: 128Registered Users
    The Andre Walker line and Hair Rules
    The blog of a non-blogger: www.naturallytia.com
    The Andre Walker line and Hair Rules
    +1!
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    curlyarca wrote: »
    I was just thinking about this when looking for a leave-in. I refuse to purchase anything from Blended Beauty or Mixed Chicks on principle. Just a lot of drama when theses two lines popped up.
    What was the drama with Blended Beauty, spill!LOL. Uhmmmmmm blue magic hair grease lmao?!I dunno Andre Walker system I would probably never try. However, I always said that I would try Miss Jessie's one of these days.....Seriously though Afroveda and Brendita Bodyworks I originally wanted to try these lines but thanks but no thanks. Price hike+quality issues (Afroveda) and claims of being homemade (Brendita) just ruffle my feathers. I know of all things......
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    I actually bought something from Miss Jessie's only so I can give an actual review of the product in addition to be hating on them...and I was totally right before, so I would never buy anything from them again. Other lines...Andre Walker and Hair Rules definitely, like Lotsa_Tangles said...also, Brendita's Body Works and Wondercurl.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    *sigh

I want to say KBB would be another brand I wouldn't purchase from again, but I'd be lying to myself. I really didn't appreciate my last ordering experience too much but to their defense it was in fact delivered way before I expected it. I just didn't receive any communication about it until a two weeks later. I didn't appreciate that my emails weren't responded to in a timely manner, otherwise I wouldn't have went through the trouble of filing a claim.

I just used this Sweet Ambrosia in the Coco Lime scent to moisturize my hair in my yarn braids and I'm in hair heaven right now. Dammit! Why must I be a sucker for sweet smells?! I really like using the Sweet Ambrosia on my yarn braids.

The thing I really don't like about the SA is that I can go through it pretty quickly and when I used it on my hair when it wasn't in yarn braids it was not that moisturizing alone. I liked it with the Butter Love though. I've never used the SA or the Butter Love in the warmer months so I'll have to give them a try then. I won't be repurchasing any time soon.

I wouldn't buy Carol's Daughter stuff again.
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    Based purely on principle, I would have to say Miss Jessies and Carol's Daughter.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
    If I wasn't living on a prayer this week I would have gotten the something nice kit when Carol's Daughter had that sale. 17 bucks and free shipping!! I hope this new job will come through!
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users
    Based purely on principle, I would have to say Miss Jessies and Carol's Daughter.

I am not really familiar with either of those brands, but I am curious as to why people don't like them.
  • maysaymaysay Posts: 218Registered Users
    Miss Jessie's...don't like their marketing.
    Mixed Chicks...don't like the name of the product.
    Afroveda...my product had mold in it when it arrived.
    Any line marketed to black women that misspells words in the product name (ie Doo Gro, etc. etc.).

• curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    gagirl09 wrote: »
    I was just thinking about this when looking for a leave-in. I refuse to purchase anything from Blended Beauty or Mixed Chicks on principle. Just a lot of drama when theses two lines popped up.
    What was the drama with Blended Beauty, spill!LOL. Uhmmmmmm blue magic hair grease lmao?!I dunno Andre Walker system I would probably never try. However, I always said that I would try Miss Jessie's one of these days.....Seriously though Afroveda and Brendita Bodyworks I originally wanted to try these lines but thanks but no thanks. Price hike+quality issues (Afroveda) and claims of being homemade (Brendita) just ruffle my feathers. I know of all things......

The owner/inventor of Blended Beauty was all in this small movement to make biracials and multiracials their own race....they would like freak out if you said someone like Frederick Douglas, WEB Dubois, Bob Marley, etc were black. She was actually a member of some board for biracials/multiracials only, and all they did was complain about how hard it is not to fit in any world, and how it's such a shame that they're not recognized as their own race. And biracial/multiracial hair is too cool for school (i.e., different and more special than any other hair on earth). Then if I recall correctly she pulled a Tommy Hilfiger and said her products weren't for black people.:-|

True story.

Need I say more? After that I was like, eff that entire line.:tongue2:

And that's why I don't buy **** from Blended Beauty.

Mixed Chicks was smarter and marketed their products to everyone although the name still sounds dumb as hell. I think this line came out not long after Blended Beauty so they got on my band list because of the loose association?

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

The owner/inventor of Blended Beauty was all in this small movement to make biracials and multiracials their own race....they would like freak out if you said someone like Frederick Douglas, WEB Dubois, Bob Marley, etc were black. She was actually a member of some board for biracials/multiracials only, and all they did was complain about how hard it is not to fit in any world, and how it's such a shame that they're not recognized as their own race. And biracial/multiracial hair is too cool for school (i.e., different and more special than any other hair on earth). Then if I recall correctly she pulled a Tommy Hilfiger and said her products weren't for black people.:-|

True story.

Mixed Chicks was smarter and marketed their products to everyone although the name still sounds dumb as hell. I think this line came out not long after Blended Beauty so they got on my band list because of the loose association?
    Oooooooh, I didn't know that. Smh...
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    gagirl09 wrote: »

True story.

:shock:

Guess I won't be trying that soy shampoo, despite it's good ratings.
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
    :shocked: Wow. Well, thank you for explaining that.
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    MISS. JESSIES.

idc if it will make my hair orgasm like wordzspoken's hair... idgaf is it really is made from the blood of virgin angels and kittens that rolled around in silk all day... i will NOT spend that much on any product, and i think theyre kinda shady.

oh yea... and alikay naturals... but i don't consider that sh*t a brand...

i wont say i'll NEVER purchase from mixed chicks and blended beauty, but it's highly unlikely...

just read through the thread... f*ck blended beauty too.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
    Hey y'all, here's a link that refers to that Blended Beauty BS. I think the original epic thread about that mess as it was unfolding has been purged:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4a/49691-not-negative-but-have-you-heard-about.html

The whole thing was really just....SMH. I went to that board and saw those posts. Basically a bunch of people who had big issues with black people because they didn't mind getting "confused" for white, asian, hispanic or whatever too much. Anyway. Let me get my ass off of here before I go way off on a tangent. LOL

eta: here's another reference to that stupid company. Yes, I have a grudge against Blended Beauty. LOL http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/3c/5706-not-my-hair.html

Well...wow...ummm. Was not expecting that level of scandal. I had already patronized BB and now I think I won't again.Wow, jeez, by golly wow.
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    I'm mixed and I REFUSE to buy mixed chicks. Gawd. I'm so sick of companies trying to play off the "multiracials need SPECHUL products 4 dey hurr" line to get sales. Whatever. I know straight up black people with hair curlier than my afro mess. Maybe I'm just stubborn, but any product that promises to "define your curls" I avoid like the plague. The ONLY product I got for that purpose was the "curls" goddess whatever stuff, and soon as I saw something about "multi ethnic" on the back I gave it to my sister. Lol. Moisture first, curl definition...unnecessary.

Honestly though, if one more person asks me why my hair's so puffy if I'm not fully black, I'm going to punch them in their nose. :angry4:

(Oh, and the hair typing system can go to hell in a hand basket. Helped when I first went natural but now... :-|)
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
    keenyme wrote: »
    MISS. JESSIES.

idc if it will make my hair orgasm like wordzspoken's hair... idgaf is it really is made from the blood of virgin angels and kittens that rolled around in silk all day... i will NOT spend that much on any product, and i think theyre kinda shady.

i wont say i'll NEVER purchase from mixed chicks and blended beauty, but it's highly unlikely...

I admit to having totally drank the Miss Jessie's Koolaid back in the day. Then I realized I was po'.

There used to be a poster here (can't remember her name) who used to go up to Curve salon to get her hair Silkened pretty regularly. People will hate me for this but her hair really did look good (although it was good looking pre-silkener, too). But you could tell that her hair was just getting straighter with each process. :|

I wonder if she's transitioning all over again now or went back to relaxers or whatever. She must have been pissed when Curve closed (albeit it temporariliy). Whatever, she made me scared to get a Silkener, I know that much.

But I don't like to gossip, you didn't hear that from me. No ma'am.

• Stinalee1120Stinalee1120 Posts: 66Registered Users
    Well...as far as her comments on a separate race....thats bogus and extreme to me...however i would not discard the whole line...even if she didnt make the products for "black people" they do a damn good job for my daughter's hair. Im not looking at what she said im looking for the best product...and blended cutie is it for me right now.
    I'm mixed and I REFUSE to buy mixed chicks. Gawd. I'm so sick of companies trying to play off the "multiracials need SPECHUL products 4 dey hurr" line to get sales.

Hahahaha. :thumbleft: Marketing is such a joke...
    Well...as far as her comments on a separate race....thats bogus and extreme to me...however i would not discard the whole line...even if she didnt make the products for "black people" they do a damn good job for my daughter's hair. Im not looking at what she said im looking for the best product...and blended cutie is it for me right now.

I get it, but I can't get beyond her horrible views. And I am a product junkie to the death and will try just about anything from anybody. Hell, if it's in a pretty package or smells good you will have me all tangled up in the game for a minute. I tried her stuff too when it came out and I liked some of them (can't remember which), but I was so pissed off after hearing and reading that bs (and then watching her backpedal to save her business) that I trashed my ish.

It kinda reminds me of the outrage over Afroveda. Kinda.

Anyway. Different strokes, different folks.

• blackguitargirlblackguitargirl Posts: 492Registered Users
    Miss Jessie's, Carol's Daughter, and Afroveda. Prices + shady business practices :thumbdown:
    4a/4b
    last relaxer dec. 2007
    BC dec 29, 2008
    :headbang: 4 years natural!
    Music blog :hiding:
    Writing blog
    My Book: The Lost King
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    what happened w/ carol's daughter? is it the price?
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users

When CD went into mass production after being sold in Sephora, the products seemed different to me. I'm not sure of the ingredients were changed or what. I didn't read ingredient lists like I do now. The price went up too and that was that for me.

My problem with MJ is similar. Way too much flippin' money for what's on the label.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    MISS. JESSIES.

idc if it will make my hair orgasm like wordzspoken's hair... idgaf is it really is made from the blood of virgin angels and kittens that rolled around in silk all day... i will NOT spend that much on any product, and

Quoted for prosperity.

I bought Carol's Daughter a couple months ago because I wanted to try it and it was one of the cheapest things in Curl Mart....:sign6:

never again. I may as well use corn oil on my hair.
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
    MISS. JESSIES.

That boy all kinds of makes my day. Just sayin, lol.

AND WOW about BB...I had no idea. I'm really glad I never bought her stuff...I just wouldn't feel comfortable. Thanks for sharing that curlyarca.
    YouTube
  • makeupvixenmakeupvixen Posts: 507Registered Users
    No AfroVeda for me, NEVER again will I order from that lying heffa and her terrible inconsistent products.

Now I have tried a range of different things and there are certain items from a company that I wont purchase again.

Bee Mine Growth Serum
    Bee Mine Balancing Cream

Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Kinky Curly Come Clean

KBB Hair Cream
    KBB Hair Butter

Sunny Isle JBCO - Allergic to this brand

HairVeda Two Step Treatment

Qhemet Biologics Maringo Tree Detangling Ghee
    Qhemet Biologics Castor Oil Spray

Amaka Creations

Mop Top Deep Conditioner

SheScentIt Hair Butter
    SheScentIt Herbal Pomade

Bentonite Clay

Carol's Daughter Butter, Balm and pomade

Now I still purchase other things from the mentioned companies but those products above just don't work for me.

But AfroVeda I will never purchase from again, not now not ever! I'm not giving my money away to them.
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users

When CD went into mass production after being sold in Sephora, the products seemed different to me. I'm not sure of the ingredients were changed or what. I didn't read ingredient lists like I do now. The price went up too and that was that for me.

My problem with MJ is similar. Way too much flippin' money for what's on the label.
    No, it was even before that. When she got to sephora, she was already mass producing! She had her own stores as well as a wholesale account with sephora. Mass producing isn't the issue though. When she was a small handmade business, her products were good and she wasn't using filler ingredients. Now she is and she is no longer making good wholesome products like she used to. Everything is corn or soy oil. People have complained that the products leave hair greasy, smell really horrid and don't moisturize. Personally, when I went natural, I really liked the rosemary mint shampoo, the mimosa pomade and the hair butter. I'm not sure if she changed formulations after I stopped using her stuff though...maybe

I will not buy miss jessies because it left my hair hard and dry after a while (silicones, mineral oil and my hair do not play well together). If they can make the same product without those ingredients, I would try it

The mixed chicks and blended beauty were never on my hair radar to begin with and I didn't even know of the scandal behind bb until about over a year ago. Just something about the names of these two companies told me something

Afroveda...we all know how that went down. But I already had stopped using her stuff waaay before afrovedagate because of mold in my product soon after I had received it

Any vendor who doesn't use preservatives in water based products, worse yet, any vendor who uses essential oils or antioxidants (gse, vitamin e, roe) and claims that they are preservatives...I see you NJOI--this just tells me that you do not know what you are doing and I'm not putting my health in your hands

Any vendor who uses bases. Not knocking anyone's hustle, but I'm sorry, I can get that wholesale for a way cheaper price. BE CREATIVE, shoot, I make stuff myself and I don't use bases
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1