Detangling 101: What do you do?

Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
I recently switched up my detangling routine for the better thanks to another member's post :)

I think its aa great topic to shaare & learn, so Please share your Method, Products and Tools

I detangle 2x Week

1x a week, On dry hair
Split in sections 4-6
A Section at a time:
apply olive oil & finger comb
then apply bit of conditoner (Yes to Carrots) & run my modifed Demen thur
Lastly, braid it back up.

and then again on

Wash day:
I let warm water from the shower, run down the length of my hair, to help knock out tangles
split it in 4 sections
poo and add conditioner
Conditioner still in, on section at a time
I finger comb then demen
Lastly braid it back up.
3c, fine, porous,MBL
Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix

Comments

• poepoe Posts: 112Registered Users
    I detangle only after I wash my hair which is generally about twice a week. I could never detangle on dry hair, it would be such a mess and I would just end up ripping hair out. While my hair is still wet I put in KCKT and then just section it as I go along and detangle with my denman. If my hair starts to get dry I spritz it with more water so it stays soaking wet. It used to take me about an hour and a half to detangle all of my hair but lately I've got it down to about 50 minutes. Afterwards I add KCCC. KCKT works pretty well but I'm still on the hunt for a product that suits my hair even better. Preferably a product with protein.
  • mathispaynemathispayne Posts: 21Registered Users
    I detangle twice a week when I redo my twists.

I start by washing my hair in like 4-6 twists. Then I take each twist down, while wet, and finger comb, then retwist. When my whole head is done, I let the twists air dry. When my hair air dries, I'll undo the twists.

Generally the process doesn't require any products or tools, but some days, I use oil. I don't get very many tangles this way and my shedding is minimal. :thumbup:
    Hair Type
    A Bit of 3b
    |&|Mostly 3c

Regimen:
    Wash and twist hair with oil & Twist hair for bed
    No combs or brushes & No "products"
  • curlyclo89curlyclo89 Posts: 173Registered Users
    I detangle every time I co-wash (2-4 times a week, depends). I only detangle wet and with conditioner (KCKT or a dc). I put my head down so my hair is in a circle around my head, and then detangle in sections around the circle. I usually just use my fingers, though occasionally I will use my goody "fake denman" brush. I hate wide-tooth combs.
    :sunny: 3c/4a; medium porosity; high elasticity; M; iii

• itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlyclo89 wrote: »
    I detangle every time I co-wash (2-4 times a week, depends). I only detangle wet and with conditioner (KCKT or a dc). I put my head down so my hair is in a circle around my head, and then detangle in sections around the circle. I usually just use my fingers, though occasionally I will use my goody "fake denman" brush. I hate wide-tooth combs.

This.

Except...I use wide tooth combs and hate brushes. Haha
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just co wash in the shower, run thru hair with a comb. I don't really have a "routine" for detangling.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    I just co wash in the shower, run thru hair with a comb. I don't really have a "routine" for detangling.

Me too, only my hair and I have to fight when I do so. So even though this sounds so simple, in retrospect it's a sudden death match.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    I've changed up my routine too.

Preferably, I detangle once a week at least. Although on some lazy/busy weeks, I might skip it...but pay the price the week later. :tongue3: Waiting until your hair gets matted/knotty is sure fire way to ask for breakage and clumps of hair to come out. :D

Before, I used to do it after my washing but I found it too much on my hair. I now do my shampooing in the beginning of the week and my detangling at the end of the week.

I load up the conditioner and let it sit in my hair for a while. Sometimes I'll add a plastic cap and do a deep treatment too. I divide my hair in 2-4 sections and finger comb out any big tangles first. I then take my wide tooth comb and detangle. When I'm done, I run my silicone Goody brush through my hair. I rinse out the conditioner really well. I then oil my hair afterwards.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users

same here.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    subbrock wrote: »

same here.
    ;) Same hair. :laughing8:
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    hahahaha! basically
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    I detangle once a week (depending if I'm just washing or if I'm doing some sort of protective style).

- I wash my hair and then slap a crap ton of conditioner in my hair, deep treatment style, and then right before I wash the conditioner out I comb through my hair with a wide tooth comb then wash it out. I put in my leave-in afterwards (KCKT) and then some oil.

Currently I did this routine and had my mom corn-row my hair so I didn't have to worry about it in this psycho NY weather (we just got 27 inches of snow!)
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • DieselDiesel Posts: 27Registered Users
    I've found that a slippery conditioner + water + a plastic pick is all I need.

I wet my hair, section it off, apply a bunch of conditioner, let it marinate, then comb out each section with the pick, using the shower stream as needed. The extra water creates some serious slip, and the whole process is short and simple.

I can't detangle of dry hair. Not at all.
    Hair type: Kinks and Curls
  • CeariumQueenCeariumQueen Posts: 12Registered Users
    random question, what does aloe vera do for the hair?
    Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    bi-racial (Black and Dominican)
    3C ( I think...)
    Products I'm using right now...
    co-wash- tresemme Naturals
    poo- Loreal Everstrong sulfate-free
    deep co- Aphogee Keratin 2 min reconstructor
    leave in- KCKT
    Moisturizer- ORS Olive oil lotion
    oils- coconut and Jojoba

• AmazinnaturalAmazinnatural Posts: 755Registered Users
    Thanks!

Hey lady,
    Here's a link that tells that benefit of aloe vera for natural curly hair. Relax with Aloe Vera | NaturallyCurly.com

event.png

Still loving my curls and kinks!
    Products I love:
    Ion Dandruff/Seborrheic Dermatitis Tar Shampoo
    Suave Shea Butter Conditioner
    Biolage Scalp Therapy Shampoo
    Biolage Fortify Therapy Shampoo
    Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
    Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner
    Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil
  • renshanrenshan Posts: 7Registered Users
    I detangle only when my hair is wet with conditioner or oil.Never ever when dry,partly because I'm scared I would start a fire or something if I detangled dry. :geek:

I always detangle with my denman, I split my hair down the middle, grab one side near the middle of my strands and then slowly detangle from ends to root. Then when I rinse my hair I detangle again under the showerhead. I do this every 2 days. If I wait longer than that, I tend to get those annoying knots on the end of my strands.
    3c/b || Fine Strands || Medium Density
    Last Relaxer: September 2008
    Big Chopped: April 2010
    Current Length: 23.5 in/ past armpit straight, above shoulders curly :shock:
    :love5:: Moroccan Oil, Denman Brush
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sometimes if I'm on multiple day WnG's and want to extend to bun or whatever, I detangle dry before bantu knotting: spritz a bit of water, a little oil or Qhemet OHHB and a few drops of Loma pearatin Fortifying repairative serum. Then I run a brush through it in sections and bantu knot. If I'm dry twisting I don't do any detangling other than what the product does (Devacurl Set it Free and a little water spritz).

On wash day I finger detangle conditioner laden hair. It's pretty easy and fast.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • CeariumQueenCeariumQueen Posts: 12Registered Users
    Thanks!

Hey lady,
    Here's a link that tells that benefit of aloe vera for natural curly hair. Relax with Aloe Vera | NaturallyCurly.com

Hello,
    Thank you! :) I will go look into that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    bi-racial (Black and Dominican)
    3C ( I think...)
    Products I'm using right now...
    co-wash- tresemme Naturals
    poo- Loreal Everstrong sulfate-free
    deep co- Aphogee Keratin 2 min reconstructor
    leave in- KCKT
    Moisturizer- ORS Olive oil lotion
    oils- coconut and Jojoba

• NinjaretteNinjarette Posts: 3,982Registered Users
    I detangle only in preparation for a shampoo.
    1. I section my hair, and wet it down with water.
    2. I apply lots of conditioner to each section, and begin to finger detangle.
    3. I loosely braid each section, and tuck it under, and let the conditioner soften my hair. Sometimes I'll leave the conditioner on overnite, but for at least a few hours.
    4. I unbraid, and start to detangle using my Magic Star Jumbo Rake comb, and then I switch to a comb with narrower teeth, to make sure I'm removing the shed hair.
    The key for me is taking my time, and making sure my hair is saturated with water and conditioner.
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • CurliesFTW_xoCurliesFTW_xo Posts: 111Registered Users
    I never detangle my hair when its dry! Not sure if thats a good thing but i prefer just doing it inthe shower. I apply the conditioner and then starting combing it through the ends and work my way up.

Naturally brunette but dyed hair, dark brown ( nearly black ) in November 2010.Trying to grow to WL but only past SL atm. Currently not CO washing and using Pantenes shampoo. Styling: Schwarzkopf ultimate repair serum with total ends repair. Also use Aussies 3 miracle worker from time to time. 3B,bouncy ringlets,medium thickness,strands are neither fine nor coarse,dry,low elasticity ( when wet, but high elasticity when dry ) and proud to be a curly!
  • SaSSyClaSSySaSSyClaSSy Posts: 96Registered Users
    I detangle in the shower with my hair loaded with either shampoo, or conditioner. I made a video on my technique.
    BC: 9/28/10 (2.5-3 inches)
    Hair type: Type 3c/4a fine/medium
    event.png
  • teejayteejay Posts: 537Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »

same here.

+1 but I use my fingers instead of a comb.

Co-wash: VO5 Tea Therapy
    Rinse Out: Garnier Sleek 'n Shine (subject to change)
    Styler: Long Aid Curl Activator

Dislikes: Proteins (except occasional Silk protein), Cones, Oils
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
    I just want to up date this, my hair is a lot longer now, so I have had to switch up a bit.

My new method inculdes, saturating my dry hair with coconut oil letting it sit a while then finger detangling my a in 6 sections

Or I load up on a slippy conditioner, let it sit a while then hop in the shower and detangle in 6 sections with my fingers. I find that Aussie Moist, Hello Hydration, and Yes to Cucumbers work best.
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file