How long must we deep treat our hair until...

mathispaynemathispayne Posts: 21Registered Users
Does hair ever get to a point where you don't have to treat it anymore? Like, I've noticed some peoples' regimen as a never-ending cycle of deep conditioning and treatments. My regimen used to be that way too. They're great, don't get me wrong. I use them ONLY if I know I've damaged my hair with a heated appliance or manipulation or whatever damages hair. That may just be me. I don't even do that anymore.

But I remember a time where I was adamant about treating my hair on a strict schedule, even when no damage was apparent. Balancing moisture and protein. Now I look back and feel like I've wasted tons of money *sigh* Now that my hair is healthy, I haven't put a treatment in and it's still flourishing. I haven't changed my regimen or anything. I don't have any hair condition at this point. I guess whatever I did before must of worked, eh?

And I know there are a lot of things out there saying that we MUST treat our kind of hair regularly. But I see many people who don't treat their hair and still manage to have healthy hair. Not trying to make a comparison, but I've fallen into this category after years of thinking that I had to deep condition/treat regularly.

So, like, when does hair finally get to a healthy state where we don't have to treat it anymore? Just maintain?

I'm confused *scratches head* What do you guys think?
Hair Type
A Bit of 3b
|&|Mostly 3c

Regimen:
Wash and twist hair with oil & Twist hair for bed
No combs or brushes & No "products"

Comments

• ajnaajna Posts: 494Registered Users
    Interesting question and I am not sure there is a one size fits all answer. I think some 'treatments' are necessary to bring the hair in balance and then there are things that have to happen to keep it in balance. IMO I think hair just like skin and nails has phases. When my hair was very short it required very little effort. I washed and conditioned it every day. I never deep conditioned and I would use a little oil and a little Paul Mitchel and that was it.

Then I decided to grow it and my products stopped working which meant I had to do thing differently. Honestly I think I damaged my hair in the process of trial and error. For example I did to many protein treatments and damaged my hair, straightened it and caused heat damage. I agree I wasted a lot of money especially when I look back at my trial and error process but the nice thing is now I know what works and what does not. This includes ingredients, tools and styling technique.

I do not do nearly as many treatments as I used to and now I listen to my hair so it is no longer about a schedule but my hair needs. So sometimes I do DC twice in a week and sometimes I skip weeks. I used to henna like every other week and now it lasts about 4-6 weeks.

IMO these really are not treatments but maintenance so for now I am done but when my hair grows who knows. Anyway what is healthy hair? Is that helpful?
    I feel confused now :laughing4:
    Hair Type: 3c/4a/4b, fine, normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Ajnamhuja/
  • mathispaynemathispayne Posts: 21Registered Users
    ajna wrote: »
    Interesting question and I am not sure there is a one size fits all answer. I think some 'treatments' are necessary to bring the hair in balance and then there are things that have to happen to keep it in balance. IMO I think hair just like skin and nails has phases. When my hair was very short it required very little effort. I washed and conditioned it every day. I never deep conditioned and I would use a little oil and a little Paul Mitchel and that was it.

Then I decided to grow it and my products stopped working which meant I had to do thing differently. Honestly I think I damaged my hair in the process of trial and error. For example I did to many protein treatments and damaged my hair, straightened it and caused heat damage. I agree I wasted a lot of money especially when I look back at my trial and error process but the nice thing is now I know what works and what does not. This includes ingredients, tools and styling technique.

I do not do nearly as many treatments as I used to and now I listen to my hair so it is no longer about a schedule but my hair needs. So sometimes I do DC twice in a week and sometimes I skip weeks. I used to henna like every other week and now it lasts about 4-6 weeks.

IMO these really are not treatments but maintenance so for now I am done but when my hair grows who knows. Anyway what is healthy hair? Is that helpful?
    I feel confused now :laughing4:

What you've said is pretty much how I am. And I agree with listening to the hair in oppose to strictly doing this or that... But now it's like, I just DC because it feels great, if I do, not really because it's good for the hair. I've just fallen out of line, but I'm cool with that!

And true, you bring up a good point. What is healthy hair anyway? People talk about healthy hair as not being dry or being soft in opposed to dry and coarse. I could understand healthy hair as being hair that doesn't break though...

Anywho, my hair is naturally coarse. No treatment is going to "fix" that, lol! I guess hair in it's natural state, however it is, is healthy.

It's like, when you read the bottles of shampoo in the grocery store and it says "for Normal hair". I'm like what the eff is "Normal?" lol!
    Hair Type
    A Bit of 3b
    |&|Mostly 3c

Regimen:
    Wash and twist hair with oil & Twist hair for bed
    No combs or brushes & No "products"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file