Totally a newbie, and I need help

Krystina the AlienKrystina the Alien Posts: 3Registered Users
First off, not even entirely sure if my hair is 3b. (I will post a picture, though, so someone can help me determine).

Second, assuming that I do have the right forum, I have a couple questions for people with the same hair type I do. I want to get it cut. I wear my hair in a ponytail all the time because my hair is so thick that it makes my neck hot, but I'm tired of it. I want a change.

However, from wearing my hair in a ponytail for the past...four or five years, I've got a dead spot that refuses to take in moisture. This spot needs to go away, however, it's right under the curve of the back of my head.

So, curlies, I need advice. As of right now, I'm not going to try the no 'poo, but I'm not saying that it'll never happen.

Oh, and in the picture? Please ignore the bad makeup. I was trying to find a good look, and it didn't work. However, it's the best picture I have of my hair that's recent.

Comments

• NerdycurlNerdycurl Posts: 87Registered Users
    Welcome! :)

Just out of curiosity, how come you don't want to try no-pooing? Especially if you have a weird dry spot, I'd definitely recommend starting a no-poo routine to get the moisture in your hair balanced out. It really does make the biggest difference. If you continue to poo, you're just continuously stripping your hair of its moisture.

It's a little hard to tell from your pic, but 3b seems to be right.
    3b I think :)

Current rotation: CJ Daily Fix Cleansing Condish, Suave Coconut, AOHR, CJCCCC, KKKT, KCCC
    HGs: EcoStyler, Coconut oil, KY, ACV, BRHG, LOOB, Curl Rehab, Deva AnGel, GTTT Condish, CIAB!
    <3 Curl Junkie <3
  • JennyWhiskeyJennyWhiskey Posts: 37Registered Users
    I also think 3b is about right. I'm also a 3b, and your curls look only slightly tighter than mine.

I really think you should try to No-Poo technique! This is the first new method I tried since going curly for good. Granted I'm fairly new to this, but I swear up and down by this method. I know it sounds like your head will end up a greasy mess, but I assure you that's not the case!

Just like the skin on your face, when you over dry your scalp, your skin creates MORE oil to compensate for the dryness. When I washed my hair daily with regular shampoo, my scalp became greasy within 24 hours, even in cold weather. Now that I conditioner wash, I don't have that problem at all.

Also with no-poo, you don't have to do it every time you wash, forever. Once your hair and scalp recover, it won't be necessary. You'll just need to use a gentle shampoo. I have extremely color treated hair (been dying non stop for 15 years), and nearly a lifetime of straightening and heat styling to correct.

If you want to heal those dry spots, I think it's the absolute best place to start.
    3b, shoulder length.

Current Regimen: Co wash, Naked Naturals Aloe Awapuhi & Lavender Moisturizing Conditioner, Hamadi Healing Serum, L'oreal Everpure serum, DevaCurl AnGel, and Ganier Fructis Curl Shaping Spray.
  • Krystina the AlienKrystina the Alien Posts: 3Registered Users
    Well, I did try No Poo once, but it was all for nothing, because I went and got all my hair cut off, and hi-lighted, and the lady went and shampooed it.

But that dry spot? It's gone now. I didn't know how far down it was, but it was cut off when I got my hair done. This is what it looks like now, and I'm in love with it.
  • anonymous_60337anonymous_60337 Posts: 22Registered Users
    Well, I did try No Poo once, but it was all for nothing, because I went and got all my hair cut off, and hi-lighted, and the lady went and shampooed it.

But that dry spot? It's gone now. I didn't know how far down it was, but it was cut off when I got my hair done. This is what it looks like now, and I'm in love with it.

i like your haircut! I think you're 3b ;)
    3b, shoulder-length, cut all one length
    Co-wash: VO5 or Suave Naturals
    Conditioners: Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine
    Leave in: Tresemme Naturals
    Gel: LA Looks 9 Hold

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file