Jojoba oil fans - what brand do you use?

SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I am thinking of trying jojoba oil. Overwhelmed by the number of brands at vitacost.com. Will appreciate any recs.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Comments

• lisasandlisasand Posts: 71Registered Users
    I have been using an organic one from mountainroseherb.com. I like it better than the Desert Essence brand which gave me a heat like rash on my forehead the few times I used it.
    Hair analysis results - medium texture, low porosity and normal elasticity.
    Shampoo: Giovanni tea tree triple treat
    Conditioner: Giovanni 50:50
    Co-wash: Suave naturals waterfall mist or wildcherry blossom
    Gel: Loving flax seed gel!
    Henna - yemeni henna and indigo from hennasooq
  • stefflynhstefflynh Posts: 410Registered Users
    I just bought some yesterday from TJ's after many recommendations & many articles saying that was one of the best for all hair types. It seems to be too much for my hair. I will use it for an occassional scalp massage & on my skin though.

I read if a product, oil, etc doesn't rinse out relatively easy on your hands, then there is potential for the hair to get weighed down faster (meaning more low poo washes). This makes sense to me.

I seem to do better with EVOO (use this daily in the lower dews). I still would like to try avacado oil...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]properties-3 a\b, very fine, medium density, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    low poo- GTT, 50\50 or whatever I have at hand
    RO- CJBCS, TNVC, Suave Coco
    Stylers-FSG & BRHG
    PT (twice a week)-CJRM, Ion Reconstructor, SSPT
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Is TJ's a brand or a store? Interested in knowing brands that are popular...
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    Spiralli wrote: »
    Is TJ's a brand or a store? Interested in knowing brands that are popular...

Sorry-Trader Joe's. I just looked @ the container & it's Desert Essence. I'm going to try another brand out of curiousity. It has worked great for my dry skin though & it's super cheap. I haven't had allergic reactions, but my hair doesn't love it as all the health reviews said it should (I explored outside this site)...

Please keep me posted if you find one that works for you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]properties-3 a\b, very fine, medium density, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    Stylers-FSG & BRHG
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I recently got Dessert Essence's Organic Jojoba Oil from drugstore.com. I'm going to be mostly using it for my skin though. So far no problems. I can't detect any kind of smell. It's not greasy at all, which is a good thing. Absorbs very quickly when I use it as a cuticle oil. Most of what I hear about jojoba oil is the benefits it has on people's problem/itchy scalps.
  • stargazer613stargazer613 Posts: 103Registered Users
    I use and love the Dessert Essence brand, which I purchase either from Trader Joes or Vitacost. To me it has the least nutty smell compared to some of the other brands that I've tried.
    Natural/3c/4a
    Loves: EMB, QB, Shea Moisture Style Milk, AO cons, Evoo, honey, jojoba oil, castor oil, shea butter, acv
    /herb rinses, henna

http://www.public.fotki.com/stargazer613/
  • abstractcurlsabstractcurls Posts: 380Registered Users
    I use Desert Essence Jojoba oil mixed with aloe vera gel and put it on my face. I have extremely sensitive skin and I've never had a problem.
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Update: I used it on my hair today to seal the ends just because I didn't bring my coconut oil with me... The results?

:wav:!!!

I have never used that smiley before, so this is really saying something. :iconbiggrin:

It's AMAZING! Perfect curl formation, no frizz, touchable curls. AMAZING soft "clumps" that retained definition even after I ran my fingers through them. I can also "reclump" my hair together after breaking them apart. MY hair is ridiculously soft, shiny, and bouncy! It's much lighter than coconut oil (my previous love) and not greasy at all. Also, the smallest amount is all I needed. I'm talking about using less than five drops. This is the perfect "serum"/sealant for me. It doesn't weigh down my fine-medium hair. LOVELOVELOVE! I was thinking about posting a more detailed review in a new thread, but I will wait a few more weeks and see how it works out. I took some pictures and I'll post them when I get the chance.

Full disclosure: I only got these awesome results in the longest parts of my hair. The shorter parts (the back of my head) are too thinned out to have any curl formation.

ETA: In case anyone wants to give this a shot, I used it on damp hair. I conditioned in the shower, rinsed, scrunched out as much water as I could with a towel. Then I put a few drops of jojoba oil in my palms and rubbed them together. I scrunched the product through out my hair, focusing on the ends, not the scalp. Then I took a few more drops and "defined" random curls by twirling them. When my hair dried, those curled retained their shape and had amazing elasticity and hold. :) Next time I am going to try to define more curls and see what happens.
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
    I've been having a decent amount of frizz lately and have been wanting to try an oil as a sealant. I bought a bottle of Desert Essence jojoba oil at Trader Joe's today. Of course, as soon as I walked into the house I had to go try it. :wink:

I washed with Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze and did a rinse out with AO GPB. Then I used two drops of oil and lightly ran it through my hair. I then applied SS CEJ and CJ Curl Queen. I dried with a flour sack towel and then diffused using the smasters method and a little more Curl Queen. I didn't get great results. I have as much if not more frizz than I have been having. The humidity is 77% and the dew point is 48 degrees which is much higher than usual for Chicago at this time of year (lots of rain and thunder the last two days). Tomorrow the humidity is supposed to be 43% and the dew is 6 degrees. BIG difference! I'll try it again and see if it does better.

Am I using it at the wrong time? Should I wait until after I have all my styling products on?

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    The Desert Essence jojoba oil is a staple in my bathroom. I don't use it straight on my hair, because it makes it feel greasy. I usually mix it in a spray bottle of water along with some aloe vera gel for a next day hair spritz. I also use it to make whipped shea butter (also with a little aloe vera gel). This concoction works as a sealant for my hair, but I mainly use it on my hands and cracked heels before bed. :glasses9:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use Karens Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba blend - mostly jojoba, also has Avocado, Rosehip, black seed and carrot oil. It's amazingly light. I use it mostly the day before cleansing. Never "sealed" with it.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • moomoomoomoo Posts: 15Registered Users
    I have the Acne.org Jojoba Oil, which is organic and the oil is the only ingredient. It's $14.75 for 8 oz, though, not sure how that compares to other brands and you have to get it online, I believe. I got it when I bought the Acne.org AHA lotion, which is an awesome product at an awesome price. If you need a chemical exfoliant for your skin, I'd recommend that product.

That being said, I don't know if shipping would be worth it if I were just purchasing one of those two...
    If you have a wholefoods store or Trader Joe's near you it's much much cheaper!! I think mine was $3.99 if I recall.

I love this oil! I use it on my skin over top my body lotion as well.

It's the only oil that I can apply at any time (within reasonable amounts) & not get weighed down.
    Stylers-FSG & BRHG
  • moomoomoomoo Posts: 15Registered Users
    stefflynh wrote: »
    If you have a wholefoods store or Trader Joe's near you it's much much cheaper!! I think mine was $3.99 if I recall.

Sweet! That's totally worth a trip to WholeFoods for -- I'll have to remember that when I run out. :toothy7:
  • willowmina moonwillowmina moon Posts: 109Registered Users
    I use the Now brand.
    Willow Moon
    3a, thin, fine, porous
    Tresemme Radiant Volume for Co-Wash
    Suave Mango Mandarin for Co-Wash
    Rosehip Seed Oil 5 drops after Co-Wash
    White Rain Hair Spray when hair is damp/dry
  • cleanteeth68cleanteeth68 Posts: 49Registered Users
    I have yet to try it on my hair but my daughter and I both use it morning and night on our faces and it leaves us with beautiful soft skin!! I actually have oily skin and it has really made mine less oily .. apparently it is the closest to your bodies natural oils so if you have enough, your body won't produce more! I wouldn't be without it:) I get the one from GNC.. i'm sure if they are 100% pure, any of them would work just as good. I want to try it on my hair now!! For those of you that use it on your hair, do you also use your regular styling prouduct or does this replace it??
  • BrittneeAubreex3BrittneeAubreex3 Posts: 309Registered Users
    Spiralli wrote: »
    I am thinking of trying jojoba oil. Overwhelmed by the number of brands at vitacost.com. Will appreciate any recs.

I used Queen Helene's Jojoba hot oil treatment. I used two whole bottles for a few months & didn't really see it do anything for my hair. I've been using the rest of my third bottle on my eyelashes & it's helping them stay conditioned, they've grown maybe about a centimeter in 8 months lol. Personally, I don't see Jojoba Oil as worth it but maybe I just used a bad brand or something.
    :love2: as of 6/12/11.

COwash- Suave Juicy Apple.
    Rinse-out- VO5 Passion Fruit Moisture Milks.

Recovering from a bad glue-in extension job. :sad7:
  • Crystal TipsCrystal Tips Posts: 240Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm in the UK so brands probably not helpful here. However, I have been getting organic golden jojoba oil from a UK supplier and much prefer it to the onground regular jojoba (which is 'clear' as opposed to 'golden' in colour). I find the organic golden jojoba to smell better (only faint smell but better than others I've used) and be the tiniest bit thicker in consistency. For anyone in the UK, I get mine here: Akamuti ® - 100% Natural Skincare
    UK - 3a/b med/coarse - mix normal/ high porosity.
    Currently in my rotation:
    Cleanser/Cowash: CJDF,
    Tresemme Naturals, DGJ Hairjuice clarifying, Urtekram Lavender
    Conditioners/DT's: CJH&BDF, CJCR, DBPSC, AOWC, Y2C
    Protein: AOGPB, Joico Reconstruct Condish (regular not PT)
    Leave Ins/Curl Creams: CJCCCC, CJ Smoothing, KeraCare/JCAC
    Gel: FSG, BRHG, Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel, L'Oreal Studio Mineral Control Invisi'Gel
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I use Heather Loraine Filtered. Filtered Jojoba Oil by Heather Loraine

I've used other brands and unfiltered versions but it made me sad that I did.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • jillian93jillian93 Posts: 107Registered Users
    I use Trader Joe's Jojoba Oil as well, it works the same as the oil I was using for $10 more from my local vitamin store.
  • MrsComboCurlzMrsComboCurlz Posts: 625Registered Users
    The JoJoba Company HobaCare
    (100% Pure JoJoba)
    *Cleanse: BoBeam, Giovanni Tea-Tree
    *Rinse Cond: Herbal Essence HH
    *Deep Cond: Deity America (green tub), CRN Algae Hair Mask
    *Leave-in's: Soultanicals, Pura Body Naturals, Alikay Naturals Lemon-grass spritz
    *Twisting: Obia Naturals TWB, PBN Cupuacu Butter, Camille Rose
    *Treatment: Henna/Amla/Cassia/Brahmi
    * LCSO Method
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,683Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The JoJoba Company HobaCare
    (100% Pure JoJoba)
    Is this brand available only on their own company website, or do other sites sell it as well?
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    I use Trader Joes jojoba oil which i believe is Desert Essence Jojoba oil. Trader Joes has products repackaged with their name on it..
    their shaving cream is alba shaving cream,

I tried Acne.org before this and didnt care for it, i just bought this jojoba oil on a whim and actually really like it.. & its cheaper ($6 instead of $15)
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • Claudia77Claudia77 Posts: 6Registered Users
    I use the Trader Joe's brand to seal my ends. I only use a few drops of it with Vitamin E oil.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file