CurlTalk

Protective Styles for short hair

soleilmoncursoleilmoncur Posts: 1,194Registered Users
I've been up and down searching but I haven't found protective styles for people with TWAs or 7in of hair or less. Right now I'm rocking a two strand twist which unravels easily because of my curly 3c/4aish hair, but I usually wear braids or twists because my hair is about 4in long and this is all I can do to protect my ends. I want to show off my hair and I need more than two strand twists.

Any vids, pics or instructions for short protective styles are greatly appreciated. TIA!!
3c/4aish, high porosity, fine strands,medium density cottony curls.

LOVES: (editing)

Save $10
off your order at Vitacost by clicking here for a code.

I'm not obsessed: I just LOVE my hair!!

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,475Administrators, Moderators Administrator

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • soleilmoncursoleilmoncur Posts: 1,194Registered Users
    I'm looking for something outside of twists and braids :sad1:

Save $10

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

• Dimplesonme2Dimplesonme2 Posts: 31Registered Users

I would love some feedback on this also. I've not been able to find anything on YT or the blogs for someone such as myself- sporting a 2 inch TWA. I can't bear wigs, my edges are too fragile I think for twists near my temples, and it is waaaaay to cold here for daily wash and gos. Also, I can't wear braids in my corporate office.

On top of all of that, I have serious hand in my hair syndrome and need to just stop thinking about my hair everyday. Talk about issues! :?
    Big Chop: Sept/2010
    Texture: Med-Fine strands, low porosity and protein challenged
    Took so many pictures decided to get a Fotki!

On top of all of that, I have serious hand in my hair syndrome and need to just stop thinking about my hair everyday. Talk about issues! :?

I know how you feel! I'm newly natural and my curls drive me crazy. I have 3c/4aish hair so twists tend not to stay together long no matter what butter sealer I use, and then they shrink up like mad.

I just want a protective style I can wear a few months out of the year instead of wearing extensions to protect my hair.

Save $10

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

• tressedforsuccesstressedforsuccess Posts: 87Registered Users
    I BC'd last winter with a little less than 2 inches of hair. I didn't really keep my hair in a protective style per se, because it was too short and just didn't look good to me. My twists would unravel easily, I didn't want tight braids, and I don't wear wigs or weaves, so I was pretty stuck. But, I came up with a pretty simple routine that worked for me. On Saturday night before I went to sleep, I would apply a deep treatment to my hair. In the morning, I would detangle and shampoo (if necessary). Then I would use KKKT and KKCC with my denman. It would take all day to dry, but I would have cute, tightly coiled curls that would last all week. Everyday, the curls got a little looser from sleeping (I always used a satin cap), and by the end of the week, my once defined curls would be a cute curly fro. I would do the same thing every week until the summer when I started to experiment with wash and goes. My hair retained a lot of length and I currently have 5-7 inches of hair (depending on the section, my crown grows slower).
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    My question to both ladies is how long is your hair stretched? I just made a video tip about this. If you can plait your hair to stretch it out or band it, you can pin/tuck/roll your hair under. Also if you stretch or don't have to stretch your hair you can do a puff and tuck your ends under. I went through the same problem too originally when I BC'd. Originally I could only do puffs, then I could do twists, now I can at least stretch my hair and do a pin and tuck or bun. I haven't finished my bun or tip video yet but will soon and I will repost later.
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
    @tressed That sounds like a very doable idea. I just need to invest in a denman brush :p

@gagirl My hair doesn't stretch very well and is only about 4 inches long. Also, my hair is a lot shorter in the front than in the back for whatever reason even though I was pretty much bald when I BC'd. I'm actually waiting on my hair to grow longer so I can start bunning. They look so cute!

I now have 1 idea that I can try. Thanks for the feedback!

Save $10

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

I love these ideas also. I actually tried @tressed's suggestion last week after I saw a video on shingling and the style lasted an entire 5 days! That is THE GREATEST mileage I have ever had from a wash n go since I bc'ed.

I've attached photos from day 2 hair.

@gagirl- I really like your idea also. It reminds me of a style I used to wear when I was relaxed. But I may have to wait a few more months, my hair is too short for that right now, even if I banded. I'm going to try the banding though anyway and see what comes from that.

Great thread SoleilMoncour, hope you dont mind my jumping in. I was getting frustrated with this same issue. ;-)
    Dimples I'm loving those curls! Unfortunately for me I have to order a denman brush online and have it shipped to me since I live in The Bahamas. It's always a hassle getting products for my hair.

If I can get 5 day hair like that it would be wonderful. But I would have to stop touching my hair first.:D

Save $10

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

Dimples I'm loving those curls! Unfortunately for me I have to order a denman brush online and have it shipped to me since I live in The Bahamas. It's always a hassle getting products for my hair.

If I can get 5 day hair like that it would be wonderful. But I would have to stop touching my hair first.:D

Thank you! I empathize. The temptation to pull a curly is STRONG!

BTW I didn't use a denman brush to get this look. I just smoothed and raked my fingers through my hair. I have a knock off denman which I hate to use because it pulls too much of my hair out, and frizzes my curls up. (I can't handle that sound of hair being pulled. *wince* )

Try raking and see if it works for the meantime.