Detangling Drama?!?!?!

SweetZcurlZSweetZcurlZ Registered Users Posts: 20
I've been transitioning for almost a year on Dec. 25. I have lots of new growth. I think my hair type is somewhere between 3c/4a/4b. I have been using proective styling to help my hair grow past my shoulder length rut Ive always had. I was very proud of myself but The drama was horrible. My hair was so awful in the shower. I thought WTH was i thinking. This thick monster on my head. I need some detangle tips!! I dont know where I went wrong. Detangling is usually a breeze. And I deep condition prior. I dunno what changed..new growth!!?!?! I started going CG!?!?!?! I need help :(
Poo:Komaza Califia
DC: Honey, Coconut oil, and Condish
Leave in:Komaza Califa
Sealant: Komaza Moku butter
Condish:Trader's Joe Tree Tingle, YTC
Protective stlyes:Flat twist out, Buns, Braid Out Updos
Treatments: Protein, Henna
Current length: SL
Hair goal: Healthy full Hair but Length would nice
Transitioning Since: Dec 25 2009
BC?!?!?!?!? I dunno Maybe never
Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/MonnyD/

Comments

• NaturallybluNaturallyblu Registered Users Posts: 17
    What type of products do you use? Do you comb out while conditioner is still in your hair? What method do you use?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Last Relaxer: July 10, 2010
    Big Chop: July 20, 2011
    Hair Type: 3c/4a
    Regimen: Co-wash w/Vo5 Conditioner, Wash w/KC Come Clean or Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Shampoo, Condition w/ KCKT &/or Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk, and moisturize w/Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie

Youtube: www.youtube.com/naturallyblu
    Blog: www.NaturallyBlutiful.Blogspot.com

event.png
  • SweetZcurlZSweetZcurlZ Registered Users Posts: 20
    What type of products do you use? Do you comb out while conditioner is still in your hair? What method do you use?
    First I Shampoo my scalp with a sulfate free shampoo then I DC with Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose with honey and some trader joes Tree tingle conditioner. then I rinsed out the DC with cold water. Then I did a quick acv rinse with cold water. I put Garnier Fructis Triple Nutriution Conditioner in and use the shower comb to detangle. My hair wasent in sections specifically but the way i grab my hair and hold it while i detangle it, makes its like i am detangling in sections. My hair had tangles like no other and at times I was pulling at it but thank the lord i didnt lose as much hair as i thought. I put a creamy leave in, braided it up, put some rollers in it and went to bed. The next day my hair felt fine and moistuized. I just dont know WTH happened in the shower
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Registered Users Posts: 1,589
    You have to realize how much shed hair gets trapped in protective styles, so when you take them down after several days/ weeks/ motnths, those shed hairs have to be removed during the detangling process and it can be a pain.

I think Garnier Fructis gives decent slip but Tresemme Naturals and Yes to Cucumbers give even better slip (for me, anyway). When it's been a long time since I have really done a good job detangling, I DC with the Aubrey Organics condish before I shampoo (the instructions are on the bottle) and use the Tresemme or YTC as a detangling rinseout. That cuts down on the tears for me. When I do the Aubrey DC first, the process of putting it in my hair really helps to catch some of those shed hairs in the beginning so when I wet my hair they don't cause such a problem.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
    Thanks so much... Detangling was one of the things I was so blessed I was not curse with...add a year new growth and protective stlying and bang drama... Im gonna try using YTC and detangle in sections. I think it will help me use less product too
    thanks im gonna try this methods and keep you posted
  • virgo76virgo76 Registered Users Posts: 45
    I have not tried this - yet - but some ladies say that adding an oil (not sure that it matters which one you choose) to their conditioner after shampooing really helps with detangling. I have, however, used coconut oil mixed with a deep conditioner as a pre-proo and I did notice a difference when detangling my hair.
    Transitioned 26 months - BC - 12/5/2010
    Current - SL ; CBL stretched
    Goal - HL curly

Pre-poo - HV Vatika Frosting
    Wash - HV Amala Cream Rinse or SheScentIt (SSI) Jojoba Hemp Conditioning Shampoo (to clarify)
    Leave-in -
    SSI Coco Creme Leave-In/Green Grape then seal with HV Cocasta Shikakai Oil or Komaza Coconut Curl Spray plus Coconut Curl Hair Lotion
    DC -
    SSI Banana Brulee
    Edges/twist outs - KCCC/Komaza
    Coconut Curly Pudding/Curl Gel-les`c

Still sampling...just the PJ in me:toothy8:
  • NaturallybluNaturallyblu Registered Users Posts: 17
    Well, I currently use KeraCare sulfate free shampoo and conditioner... while in the shower, with conditioner in my hair, i comb from ends to roots in sections with a wide tooth comb... this really helps detangle my hair and comb conditioner through it as well! After i do that I put in a leave in, KCNT, and if I don't feel like putting flexi-rods in my hair I will flat twist it real quick and put a roller at the ends and go to bed with my hair wet and take it down in the morning...

Braids and styles where your hair isn't being combed for a few days/wks do not allow you to comb out the shed hair so once you take it down your hair will shed alot! I am actually in the process of taking down some micros and after I'm finished I will do the above process and flat twist it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Last Relaxer: July 10, 2010
    Big Chop: July 20, 2011
    Hair Type: 3c/4a
    Regimen: Co-wash w/Vo5 Conditioner, Wash w/KC Come Clean or Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Shampoo, Condition w/ KCKT &/or Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk, and moisturize w/Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie

Youtube: www.youtube.com/naturallyblu
    Blog: www.NaturallyBlutiful.Blogspot.com

event.png
    I just wanted to thank you all. I detangled my hair today and hair a much better experience. Thanks to all your advice. I detangled it in sections and used a conditioner with more slip ( Yes to cucumber) turned out great Thanks again!