Assess my co wash/styling routine please

I'm fairly new to the whole concept of DEVA hair cuts and co-washing.

I've always been a fan of the Ouidad products - especially the heat & humidity gel and the moisture lock conditioner.

Months ago before I started on this curly girl journey, I washed my hair just about everyday. Now I try to wash it with sulfate free shampoo (Pureology) every other or 3rd day depending on the shape of my curls.

Since I started reading about co washing, I gave that a shot today with my Ouidad conditioner.

So here are my questions: Do you co wash everyday? Do you ever shampoo your hair? What products do you use?

Right now I am switching between the Ouidad conditioner and the Neutrogena Moisturizing conditioner. For products I use the Aveda Be Curly lotion and I switch between the Ouidad gel or John Frieda Clean Gel (or maybe it is Paul Mitchell? it is $8 or so).

I guess I'm confused if you should stick with co washing exclusively, do it for in between shampoos, etc.

Thanks and sorry for the length
*Shampoo - Tresemme Naturals (low sulfate) once every week or two.
*Conditioner - DEVA One (used for co-wash too). Yes To Carrots conditioner.
*Leave in - Garnier Fructis Clean styling cream & gel (DEVA gels are hit or miss depending on the weather. ULTA medium hold gel is also silicone free).
*Other likes - DEVA moisture lock spray, Ducks Clips (spray with gel first), diffuse 30 - 40%.

Comments

• geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
    Gibbsy777 wrote: »
    Do you co wash everyday?
    The strict Curly Girl routine is to cowash or water wash every time you wash your hair. Build up removal or deep cleaning is done with massage (very thorough, each time), sugar scrubs, lemon juice & conditioner mix, etc. Many people cowash some days and rotate with cleansing conditioners, nopoo, shampoo, or soap/shampoo bars.
    Live Curly Live Free has great curl care info and an e-book that is popular in the forum.
    Naturally Curly has specific instructions on going no poo.
    What products do you use?
    When I wash, I only wash my scalp - I don't put my cowash conditioner anywhere but on my fingertips and scalp; I use my favorite hair conditioners on the length of my hair.
    I like a cowash with the following properties:
    - Has ingredients to clean the hair: Stearalkonium chloride, cetrimonium chloride, dicetyldimonium chloride, behentrimonium methosulfate, behentrimonium chloride, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine. More about conditioner ingredients at The Natural Haven.
    - Does not have protein, since that can irritate the scalp and I have sensitive skin.
    - Does not have fragrance, same reason.
    - Most people like to cowash with an inexpensive "light" conditioner because it helps to use lots of cowash while you are massaging your scalp.

Naturallycurly member signatures often have their favorite wash products. Check 'em out to see what's popular - especially those from members with your hair / scalp characteristics.

Following recent dry season itchy scalp issues (with itchy bumps too), I switched from washing with Suave Coconut Conditioner (which had been working fine) to CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser (about the same ingredients as a conditioner) and occasionally alternating with DermaDoctor Born to be Mild (a mild shampoo with SLS - Oh my! Does not leave my scalp sticky or oily like other shampoos do.) So far so good.

A gentle cowash most of the time and an occasional good cleansing shampoo may be the best routine for my personal needs. I'm sure you'll develop your own preference.

No need to apologize to ME about the length of your post! LOL
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    I'm fairly new to the whole concept of DEVA hair cuts and co-washing.

I've always been a fan of the Ouidad products - especially the heat & humidity gel and the moisture lock conditioner.

Months ago before I started on this curly girl journey, I washed my hair just about everyday. Now I try to wash it with sulfate free shampoo (Pureology) every other or 3rd day depending on the shape of my curls.

Since I started reading about co washing, I gave that a shot today with my Ouidad conditioner.

So here are my questions: Do you co wash everyday? Do you ever shampoo your hair? What products do you use?

Right now I am switching between the Ouidad conditioner and the Neutrogena Moisturizing conditioner. For products I use the Aveda Be Curly lotion and I switch between the Ouidad gel or John Frieda Clean Gel (or maybe it is Paul Mitchell? it is $8 or so).

I guess I'm confused if you should stick with co washing exclusively, do it for in between shampoos, etc.

Thanks and sorry for the length

Sorry to tell you this, but I believe the Moisture Lock Conditioner you CO-washed with has silicones in it. :tongue2: They are ingredients that end in -cone, -conol, and -xane. They have to potential to build up on your hair and will cause problems in the long run. To remove them, you should use a sulfate shampoo or clarify with a BS/ACV rinse.

Regarding how often to CO-wash -- It's all a personal preference. I'm new to CG, and in the very beginning I tried to CO-wash every other day because that's how often I used to shampoo. Now that I know that isn't working, I'm trying to stick to this routine: Day 1, CO-wash; Day 2, use refresher spray; Day 3, water wash and condition length of hair; Day 4, use refresher spray; Day 5, back to day 1. But, there's no rule about how often to do it. Some people CO-wash every day, others do it once a week. You have to experiment and see what your hair likes best.

Regarding shampooing your hair -- This, too, is totally up to you. Some people like to use a sulfate shampoo once a month, just to clarify their hair. Others still use shampoo regularly and alternate it with CO-washing. I'd try a full on CG routine first, and see how your hair reacts. After a few weeks, if you're certain your hair doesn't like it, then incorporate some sulfates into your routine. An alternative to regular old shampoo -- the gentlest and safest option to cleanse your hair thoroughly -- is a sulfate free shampoo. They're definitely not the cheapest, but it might be worth a shot.

Regarding what products to use -- I agree with geko in that if you're in need of product recommendations, look in people's signatures. If they have hair very similar to yours, go ahead and try out some of the products they use. Good luck, and HTH (and is semi-clear!)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file