Protective Styling?

PipRosiPipRosi Posts: 43Registered Users
Especially for those with shorter hair. How often do you try to style protectively and how do you do it? I used to braid with greases as a kid. More recently I had to BC due to leaving my hair in a bun all the time and neglecting it, I think it put too much stress and matted it. Now that I'm trying to grow my hair out healthy (and already set back by color damage) I'm stuck when it comes to how to really protectively style appropriately for my hair, not putting stress or pulling too much etc. I'm often in the 4A section where it's more popular, but I know my hair won't hold like theirs. Maybe it's not meant to be and I can just keep trying to moisturize/condition, sometimes seal the ends (I'm getting oils and butters) and leave it?

PS- And anyone's experiences with coloring/damage, whether you needed to trim more etc. would be great.

Comments

• curlyclo89curlyclo89 Posts: 173Registered Users
    I don't have short hair but I'm going to try to help you out. I protective style a few times a week (more now because its so cold). A bun isn't a bad protective style (I use it all the time) but I re-do mine every day and it seems like you were pulling yours too tight!

Here is a thread I found about protective styling for shorter hair: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4a/50733-protective-styles-short-mega-short-hair.html

If your hair won't hold a style, I think that putting oil on the ends to seal in the moisture will work as a protective style, and wearing a hat if its really cold where you live.

HTH!
    :sunny: 3c/4a; medium porosity; high elasticity; M; iii

• PipRosiPipRosi Posts: 43Registered Users
    Thnx for that! Well I haven't experimented much yet due to my fears, but yeah my hair probably wouldn't hold tight coils and I would ultimately need to tie/band twists or braids. I'll definitely be looking into a satiny cap when I get some cash.
    I believe there was particular breakage where the buns were held (not that tightly) so I don't think I'll be doing that often even when I get the length. But it's true that I was overall totally neglecting my hair so hmm lol
    Well I hope it goes well. As for the satin cap - if you have a Target near you, they sell them there for like $2

• D_MarieD_Marie Posts: 150Registered Users
    I rarely ever do protective styles because I'm lazy, but I'm making it a New Years resolution to try to do it more often because I want more length. I recently saw a post on Curly Nikki's blog with protective style ideas... Natural Hair Style Guide for Winter | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care. Since ur hair won't hold, you can try Nikki's twist and curl method, where u put ur hair in twists and put flexi rods on the ends until it dries. I also have issues with coloring my hair...won't be doing that again. HTH :toothy4:
    www.instagram.com/enliytenme
    3c/4a
    Shea Moisture JBCO shampoo
    Trader Joes Nourish Spa Conditioner
    Mielle Organics Protein Conditioner
    Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter (moisturizer)
    The Main Choice 3 in 1
    True by Made Beautiful leave in and hair butter
    Sweet almond oil
    As I Am Curling Jelly
    :toothy7:
  • mathispaynemathispayne Posts: 21Registered Users
    You know, I really don't do them often, but when I do, it's usually a pineapple or bun. I just make sure my hair is well-oiled before leaving the house if I'm not doing a protective style.
    Hair Type
    A Bit of 3b
    |&|Mostly 3c

Regimen:
    Wash and twist hair with oil & Twist hair for bed
    No combs or brushes & No "products"
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
    I had color damage, what worked best for me was protein.

A friend of mine has short natural hair, she was able to do some cute tuck and go styles with those small hair combs that come in a 4pk and bobbi pins.

check these out:

YouTube -

Her hair is like this in the front then she tucks with the combs instead of doing the pony

YouTube - 5min hair

YouTube - Two Strand Twist & Bun look
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • PipRosiPipRosi Posts: 43Registered Users
    curlyclo89 wrote: »
    Well I hope it goes well. As for the satin cap - if you have a Target near you, they sell them there for like $2

Gracias! Damn I'm still trying to boycott target ha
    D_Marie wrote: »
    I rarely ever do protective styles because I'm lazy, but I'm making it a New Years resolution to try to do it more often because I want more length. I recently saw a post on Curly Nikki's blog with protective style ideas... Natural Hair Style Guide for Winter | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care. Since ur hair won't hold, you can try Nikki's twist and curl method, where u put ur hair in twists and put flexi rods on the ends until it dries. I also have issues with coloring my hair...won't be doing that again. HTH :toothy4:

I heard that! I'm sure just keeping healthy (inside and out, & I'm a veg) is most important for growth anyway. Rods, interesting, might check that out. Oh yes re: coloring, I was in a vulnerable state, susceptible to the hypnotic powers of the salon :sad5: Did you have to cut or trim any due to color damage?
    You know, I really don't do them often, but when I do, it's usually a pineapple or bun. I just make sure my hair is well-oiled before leaving the house if I'm not doing a protective style.

I might give loose buns a try when my hair is long enough. Also I've found some conditioners moisturize to the point where I don't even feel I need to oil up/leave in.
    I had color damage, what worked best for me was protein.

A friend of mine has short natural hair, she was able to do some cute tuck and go styles with those small hair combs that come in a 4pk and bobbi pins.

check these out:

YouTube -

Her hair is like this in the front then she tucks with the combs instead of doing the pony

YouTube - 5min hair

YouTube - Two Strand Twist & Bun look

Definitely re: protein and color damage. Just wish I'd read up on that on these boards sooner! Thnx for the vids, inspires me to experiment more, I just have to get over the fear of manipulating my hair too much (or sticking things in it lol)
    PipRosi wrote: »

Oh, why? They are the only place around here that sells my staple products!

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    PipRosi wrote: »

You can get satin caps in a lot of other places besides target.. they have them in most drug stores, beauty supply stores, possibly in your grocery store, etc.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • D_MarieD_Marie Posts: 150Registered Users
    @PipRosi I didn't really cut it, just trims every once in a while. One day the color was just gone. I'm also prone to heat damage too. My hair is sensitive...lol.
    www.instagram.com/enliytenme
    3c/4a
    Shea Moisture JBCO shampoo
    Trader Joes Nourish Spa Conditioner
    Mielle Organics Protein Conditioner
    Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter (moisturizer)
    The Main Choice 3 in 1
    True by Made Beautiful leave in and hair butter
    Sweet almond oil
    As I Am Curling Jelly
    :toothy7:
  • renshanrenshan Posts: 7Registered Users
    Since it's winter time here in Toronto and I am not trying to wet my hair everyday (or it will freeze) I co-wash, leave in a bit of conditioner then create finger twists all over. Before it's dry, I spray it with oil. Depending on how cold it is, I'll sit under the dryer. I add more oil if gets dry during the week. Sometimes I pin up one side with a black flower or throw in a headband. It usually stays well for a week.
    3c/b || Fine Strands || Medium Density
    Last Relaxer: September 2008
    Big Chopped: April 2010
    Current Length: 23.5 in/ past armpit straight, above shoulders curly :shock:
    :love5:: Moroccan Oil, Denman Brush

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file