All day curls? Is there such a thing?

ShalolaShalola Posts: 13Registered Users
Hi everyone! I'm still new to all of this but have been CG for almost 2 weeks now.

I'm a 3a (I think), fine textured but lots of it. My routine is pretty basic:
Co-wash: Suave coconut conditioner
RO: Biolage Conditioning Balm
LI: CJ LI (just received this in the mail on Friday and so far, so good)
Some sort of curl activator (still testing stuff out)
Homemade FSG

Here's my question...How do you keep your curls looking good all day? That's always been my problem...everything looks okay but by noon, my hair is limp, flat and kind of gross.

I know I should be patient because my hair feels so much better already and my curls look better (before they go flat). I haven't seen anything about hairspray, so I'm assuming that's a no-no. Is there something I'm missing or do I need a more zen approach?

TIA
Shalola

Comments

• kimmiisankimmiisan Posts: 46Registered Users
    Using three different styling things would really weigh my hair down, so maybe that's it?? I've never found that my hair gets flatter as the day goes on.. In fact, it normally starts off a bit flat when it's wet and improves as it dries.

I'd try using less stuff - like, choose one or two of your products and stick with those.. and don't mess with it while it's drying. Other than that I'm clueless.
    CG since June 2010.
    3a, normal (edging on high) porosity, medium texture.
    Still not settled on products. :(

• Fusilli66Fusilli66 Posts: 296Registered Users
    Gel!

I have found Gel to be the best way to get my hair to look as good at 9 am as it does at 9 pm. There are some good inexpensive CG gels out there. I personally like LA Looks Sports Gel, Herbal Essences Set me up (hard hold) or Herbal Essences Totally Twisted (medium hold). There are plenty more out there but those are my faves.

Also, a word about FSG. It is not a Gel as in the traditional meaning of gel. It has no hold at all and is meant to be used as a curl activator/enhancer. I have gotten excellent results using it, but only when put into clean hair (no leave in, no curl activator). I usually put gel (usually LALSG) over it for hold, but otherwise use it alone. If your putting it on over curl activator and leave in, you may be defeating your own purpose.
    3A - Medium Texture - Normal Porosity - Modified CG since 3/2010
    Devacurl NoPoo - Devacurl OneC - Devacurl B'Leave In
    KCCC - LALCG - Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz
  • RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yep. I agree with Gina729 - GEL. And, yeah... FSG is more curl enhancing than holding. That's been my experience with it, anyway. ;)

My hair is fine and I have a lot of it. I can get over conditioned easily and weighed down just as easily with too much products. On the other hand, I need a pretty strong holding gel or I lose my curl from the crap in the air and lack of support by a good strong gel.

SO... I don't use ANY cremes when the dew points are low because they just weigh me down and "steal" my curl. I just use SS CEJ and BRHG and I have all day curl. I'd be willing to bet LALSG would work well for me, too. But, I haven't tried it (yet). LOL!
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • Fusilli66Fusilli66 Posts: 296Registered Users
    RacerWife7 wrote: »
    I'd be willing to bet LALSG would work well for me, too. But, I haven't tried it (yet). LOL!

I really love LALSG. It is ridiculously cheap and works really good on me for the sole purpose of hold. I have tried so many gels, both expensive and cheap. I recently tried ArcAngel and after using it a few times, and it worked nice, I realized it didn't do anything that LALSG does for ALOT less money. I brought it back to Ulta.

I have stopped trying gels because they all kinda do the same thing on me. I'm sticking to the cheap gels and this way I can splurge on the more expensive conditioners and other stuff that I like.
    3A - Medium Texture - Normal Porosity - Modified CG since 3/2010
    Devacurl NoPoo - Devacurl OneC - Devacurl B'Leave In
    KCCC - LALCG - Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz
  • ShalolaShalola Posts: 13Registered Users
    Thanks so much for the replies! I didn't realize that FSG is more a curl enhancer than for hold! Good to know! lol

Tomorrow I shall try easing up on the conditioning products since my hair is fine...try one curl enhancing product and stick with my BRHG.

Thanks again! I'll keep you updated!
    Gina729 wrote: »
    RacerWife7 wrote: »
    I'd be willing to bet LALSG would work well for me, too. But, I haven't tried it (yet). LOL!

I really love LALSG. It is ridiculously cheap and works really good on me for the sole purpose of hold. I have tried so many gels, both expensive and cheap. I recently tried ArcAngel and after using it a few times, and it worked nice, I realized it didn't do anything that LALSG does for ALOT less money. I brought it back to Ulta.

I have stopped trying gels because they all kinda do the same thing on me. I'm sticking to the cheap gels and this way I can splurge on the more
    expensive conditioners and other stuff that I like

Sounds like a great plan to me!!!! ...I may end up going that way, too - AFTER I use up my massive supply of expensive stuff, of course. :lol:
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If your hair is fine, it's very possible that you need protein. My hair is fine, I do one PT a week and use a lot of products with protein.

I rotate products because my hair has always satiated on them--even in the shampoo/conditioner only days. I seldom use any one product more then twice a week.

For me, cowashing was nothing special. I did it for six months and my hair was okay. I started to use natural soap bars to cleanse and it made a BIG difference for me (more volume and tighter curl.) That was when they were really popular about two and a half years ago.

MANY people use gel, I do not. My hair really doesn't care for it. I find that I don't need it. I wet and style every day, using a rinse out, leave in/curl enhancer (in the winter it's OR, in the summer it's AND) and a jelly product. If the dewpoint is at the extreme either high or low, I add a serum.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Again, thanks so much for the replies! This morning I just did a water rinse, applied AG Re:Coil and BRHG. Just SOTC and my curls feel much firmer!

Kathymack, what do you use for a protein treatment?
    And what soap bars do you use? ...I'm clueless in the realm of hair soaps - I think I missed that whole boat while I was busy using sulfate poos. LOL! ...And how does that all work? Are these homemade soaps or something you buy in a store??

TIA! :)
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    My Picasa Album
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • juicygunjuicygun Posts: 7Registered Users
    So, @shalola:
    If you just do a water rinse and then add a curl cream (that's what the recoil is, right?) plus the gel, doesn't your hair look/feel very product-y? I'm pretty fine haired and noticed the same problem as you did - I manage to get some decent curls in the morning, but by noon, it's all stringy and not pretty at all :(
    If I try to freshen it up with my curl cream (currently using Mop-C curl defining cream, but not very happy with it) it looks greasy, even with minute amounts.
    But I love the BRHG :D Can't get my hands on the recoil right now, though, cause I live in Germany and shipping from the US would be too expensive considering I already have ordered tons of products from overseas ;) However, I do have the recoil shampoo, conditioner and LI, but I don't really like any of those.

Vanessa :)
    German 3a curly - probably inherited from Spanish ancestors.
    currently liking the Body Shop Rainforest Moisture line, BRHG and KCCC.
    Juicygun, my hair feels supersoft and not producty at all! I think it's because I really soaked my hair this morning. I've tried adding more product when my hair is dry or misted with water...that's when mine starts feeling kinda gross. Hope that helps!

P.S. Just got back from lunch...the wind is insane and my curls are still holding up! I think it's working! :blob4:
  • juicygunjuicygun Posts: 7Registered Users
    Hmm, maybe I should give water rinsing a try? I've never done that as I was anxious my curls would look like a dirty mess ;)

Lunch? I'm sitting here at work, 9.20 pm, calling it a day in ten minutes and rushing off to my company's Christmas party (just went to the bathroom and wet my hair a little :D Didn't help, but at least I've done what I could).

/ETA: I went to the bathroom and wet my hair a little with water. With water.
    German 3a curly - probably inherited from Spanish ancestors.
    currently liking the Body Shop Rainforest Moisture line, BRHG and KCCC.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Shalola, PTs I use include CJ Repair Me and Curl Fix (don't like the scent, but a new one is coming out) and SS Repairing Protein Treatment.

RacerWife7, I use handcrafted soap bars that I buy online. I'm very careful as to ingredients because my hair HATES castor oil. PM me if it's of interest.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Just a quick update:

I'm co-washing each day with Suave coconut and using CJ LI instead of Biolage Conditioning Balm. I think that's helped...a lot! After putting in AG Re:Coil curl activator, I add CJ CIB and diffuse. Because I don't trust my hair just yet, I scrunch in a TINY bit of BRHG when it's mostly dry.

My curls have been holding up! Yeah! :blob8: I'm really excited about this! Yesterday, I made a refresher spray with aloe vera juice and water (50:50), then I added about a tsp of agave nectar and OMG, HOLY CRAP! I tried it out after work and my hair is ridiculously curly! Even the little stringy pieces at the nape of my neck that never curl are curly!

Thanks so much for the advice! I'm currently stalking protein treatments online!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file