20 Month Transition is OVER!

SwtAnanaSwtAnana Registered Users Posts: 70
Hi ladies!

I'm excited to finally join the ranks of fully natural women and I just wanted to share the good news with you guys and hopefully inspire some of you, especially those who wanted to transition for over a year. I transitioned for 20 months and chopped off my straight hair last night. As corny as it sounds, I actually had a big chop party (with music, food, drinks, and my closest friends from school) so the entire thing was enjoyable.

Here's a pic of my post-chop hair. As you can see, there are still a few straggly straight ends that I'll clip off as I find and my hair is also still in "shock" mode but other than that, this is what I'm working with.

Shrinkage is a mutha!

edited to say: My hair was still damp in this picture and that is water running down my face!

event.png

Products :blob:
Shampoo: Elucence Moisture Benefits
Conditioner: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
Leave-In: Oyin Handmade Hair Dew
Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil or Pink
Sealants: KBB Creamylicious Shea Butter, KBB Hair Oil

Yup...that's it (for now... :glasses7:)

Comments

• annabananaliseannabananalise Registered Users Posts: 1,913
    Congratulations!! You hair looks incredible. I'm in it for the long haul, too, so this is nice to see.

Yay!
    Last relaxer: 8.4.10
    BC: 9.6.11
    tumblr_mkqgfjWwA41qcwgrvo1_500.gif
    when will your favs?

• Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Registered Users Posts: 955
    Congrats:occasion7:! Your hair looks beautiful. I am also planning on doing a long term transition and do not have a set chopping date.

I know I at least want to go for a yr but will continue to do so longer than that as long as my hair remains healthy and I don't run into any problems.

It is wonderful to see others who have long term transitioned as well and were successful at it w/such great results. It makes thewhole process seem that much more worth it!

Keep up the good work and take care of that beautiful hair!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
    (Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
  • cocowantsthecurls.cocowantsthecurls. Registered Users Posts: 11
    Congrats.:cya: Nice growth.... This is so nice to see. I plan to transtion for 18 months, so hopefully ill have hair thats to my shoulders or at least very close.
    Loving my hair.
    7.5 months post...
    fotki : http://public.fotki.com/cocotah/
  • A_Klass_ActA_Klass_Act Registered Users Posts: 56
    Congratulations! Your hair looks wonderful... And thanks for the encouragement --- It is much appreciated :-)
    Hair properties: Low porosity/fine strands Poo: CJDF, SM Moisture Retention RO Condish: Tresemme Naturals Deep Condish: JCWDT, CJHBDF LI: CJSL Moisturizer/Styler: Curls Souffle, KCCC Extras: Cassia, Bentonite & Rhassoul Clay, Shea butter mix, Cocoa butter mix, Castor oil
  • SwtAnanaSwtAnana Registered Users Posts: 70
    Thanks ladies! Good luck with your transitioning. My hair actually comes down to my collar bones but you'd never guess it :roll:

20 months flew by for me so I'm hoping your transitions do the same :blob7:

event.png

• pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Registered Users Posts: 1,665
    I transitioned for 23 months and 4 days . . . so congratulations for making it this far. It's not easy, but time does seems to fly by. My big chop wasn't intentional . . . I just went into the salon and decided to chop it by my stylist advice since my hair was shedding a bit a the line of demarcation.

Your hair looks great though and it's awesome to read about other long term transitioners.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • virgo76virgo76 Registered Users Posts: 45
    Looks good...congrats! :occasion9: I had DH chop off my relaxed ends a week ago after transitioning for 26 months. I'm lovin' it :happy7:
    Transitioned 26 months - BC - 12/5/2010
    Current - SL ; CBL stretched
    Goal - HL curly

Pre-poo - HV Vatika Frosting
    Wash - HV Amala Cream Rinse or SheScentIt (SSI) Jojoba Hemp Conditioning Shampoo (to clarify)
    Leave-in -
    SSI Coco Creme Leave-In/Green Grape then seal with HV Cocasta Shikakai Oil or Komaza Coconut Curl Spray plus Coconut Curl Hair Lotion
    DC -
    SSI Banana Brulee
    Edges/twist outs - KCCC/Komaza
    Coconut Curly Pudding/Curl Gel-les`c

Still sampling...just the PJ in me:toothy8:
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    Congratulations - and great idea about the party! It's definitely a time to celebrate.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • CantWaitToBeNaturalCantWaitToBeNatural Registered Users Posts: 3
    Great job!!!! I am only on my 1st month of transitioning...Your hair looks great and i will use that as my motivation to keep going!!!:toothy4:
  • moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Registered Users Posts: 403
    :wav::occasion7:
    Congratulations! I'm almost done with mine as well. Next Moday I'll be cutting off the remainder of my relaxed ends and my 24 month transition will be over too.
    Whoop whoop! :hello1:
    imager.php?id=1557276 GIFSoup
    Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
    4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
  • SwtAnanaSwtAnana Registered Users Posts: 70
    Awww thanks to the new comments! Especially to you SBB, you were a HUGE inspiration for me :notworthy: . I'd visit your fotki account often when I was feeling weak to help remind me of what I was aiming for.

I can't believe some of you transitioned for even longer!....I was about to go crazy with those straggly ends :angry7:

event.png

• NaturallybluNaturallyblu Registered Users Posts: 17
    Congratz on becoming fully natural!! Your hair looks great and I cannot wait until I am at that point!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Last Relaxer: July 10, 2010
    Big Chop: July 20, 2011
    Hair Type: 3c/4a
    Regimen: Co-wash w/Vo5 Conditioner, Wash w/KC Come Clean or Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Shampoo, Condition w/ KCKT &/or Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk, and moisturize w/Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie

Youtube: www.youtube.com/naturallyblu
    Blog: www.NaturallyBlutiful.Blogspot.com

event.png
  • NinjaretteNinjarette Registered Users Posts: 3,982
    You made it! Yay! :love7:
    Platinum Product Junkies
    The Facebook
    | The Twitter

The Product Lines:
    Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
  • frizzychicfrizzychic Registered Users Posts: 1
    wow! your hair gorgeous! I'm still transitioning but I think we are hair twins (:
    I plan on BC'ing at 18 months so I have about 6 months to go
    Sugar and Spirals: a natural hair blog for 3c and 4a teens and young adults! check it out: http://sugarandspirals.com
  • LaCurlyMariposaLaCurlyMariposa Registered Users Posts: 36 Curl Neophyte
    Congrats on your big chop!! You made it!! I got quite a ways to go; I'm only about 4 months into my transition. I can't wait until it's over! (In about 2yrs max!)

All of the ladies here, including you, are inspiration for me to keep going. :blob4:
    ETA: BTW your hair is beautiful!!!
    Last Relaxer: Aug 2010
    BC: April 2012

Staple Products: (Anything Shea Moisture) African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo, Organix Coconut Milk and Cherry Blossom conditioners, Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk/ Curl Enhancing Smoothie/ Curling Souffle.:blob7:

It's fine. It's divine. It's all mine
    PicsArt_1341336527255-1.jpg

• SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Registered Users Posts: 666 Curl Neophyte
    Your hair.....is:thumbleft: beautiful!!!!

Okay...so i'm DEF gonna transition till i hit 18-20 months post.....i LOVE your hair its SO pretty!!:occasion6:
    2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
    RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
    Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
    Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:
  • kinkyncurlykinkyncurly Registered Users Posts: 110
    congrats! i'm chopping next month, at 16 mos post relaxer. Your hair looks like mine . . .
    Transitioning! :hello1:
    s-event.png
    BC Date: January 8th, 2011!
    Hair: 4a fine but dense
    Working on: porosity issues, growing out heat damage, dryness
    Fotki link in profile
  • aaviyahaaviyah Registered Users Posts: 1
    Congratulations - and great idea about the party! It's definitely a time to celebrate.
    Agreed! Beautiful Hair and congrats on the determination! I'm currently 11 months post and BCing at 16 months so this is definitely an inspiration.

hmmmm.....maybe I'll do a BC party too, that is so creative:-)
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Whoooohooo! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • LisaGurlLisaGurl Registered Users Posts: 54
    Congratulations! It looks beautiful! Can't wait until I'm in my 18th month!
  • wavycurlyria_87wavycurlyria_87 Registered Users Posts: 78
    looooove your natural hair. It's so pretty.!! :-D
  • Flower princessFlower princess Registered Users Posts: 608
    Congratulations :wav:
    All Hair is Good Hair!

It's Not What's ON Your Head, But What's IN Your Head!

Please join/follow my new blog http://vividthoughtsofglory.blogspot.com/
  • cerisenoirecerisenoire Registered Users Posts: 16
    Your hair looks great! Good for you! I couldn't even wait it out 18mos and did the BC after only 15. The scraggly ends were awful and tangled so much that I spontaneously decided enough was enough and went for the scizzors. Sooo much easier now!
  • ravenm721ravenm721 Registered Users Posts: 80
    Congrats on the BC. Your hair looks beautiful.
    event.png
    Hair Type: 4D/5A living in sub-tropical humidity hell
    •BC'ed after 22 months of transitioning (May 2012)
    •Check out my YT playlist for Transitioning Styles :glasses1::
  • teachermrwteachermrw Registered Users Posts: 269 Curl Neophyte
    Congratulations!

I recently Big Chopped as well, but my transition was not nearly as long as yours (nine months). It became apparent that my hair couldn't tolerate the transition for much longer.

Anyway, well-done!
    Your hair is your most important accessory.

event.png
  • queenbee1976queenbee1976 Registered Users Posts: 1
    My last relaxer touch-up was September, 2010. I feel that I can transition for the long haul after seeing that you were able to do it for 20 months. I'm encouraged to keep on going.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file