Am I a 3a?!

kimmiisankimmiisan Posts: 46Registered Users
My hair varies in curl.. The longer side tends to be ringlets, the shorter is wider ringlets.. the back is a combination of the three. I am just not sure if this is 3a or what..

Any ideas? :)
CG since June 2010.
3a, normal (edging on high) porosity, medium texture.
Still not settled on products. :(

Comments

• cornycorny Posts: 22Registered Users
    I think you're 3a, with maybe a little 3b waiting to come out.
    CG since 24/11/10; started 2c/3a, want to become 3b. (Insert "HOPE" and "CHANGE" posters here.)

Products: Suave naturals coconut conditioner, HE TT gel, Aveda curl control on dry hair, and tea tree oil or a brown sugar scrub every so often to remove buildup.
  • CurlyLinZeeCurlyLinZee Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi Kimmiiam:
    I just posted a tip for you at the end of the 3A pic thread about how to get your hair to look "bigger."
    Hair type: 2c/3a ii, medium/coarse, desert hair
    Cleansers: CJ Daily Fix
    Conditioners: CJ Beauticurls Argan Oil, Tresemme
    Leave-In Conditioners: CJ BCLI
    Deep Conditioners: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, SS DDMT
    Stylers:
    KCCC
    Holding Gels: CJ Curl Queen
    Pomade: Jane Carter N&S
    Hair Likes: agave nectar, oils of any kind

• zumbagirlzumbagirl Posts: 61Registered Users
    I agree with others, look like 3a/3b.

Weren't you looking for volume?

Upside down, massage scalp.

You have gReat curls with rich color. Rock those curls.

I can totally see you with longer hair. Just my bias. Love long curls. Again, awesome color.
  • kimmiisankimmiisan Posts: 46Registered Users
    zumbagirl wrote: »
    I agree with others, look like 3a/3b.

Weren't you looking for volume?

Upside down, massage scalp.

You have gReat curls with rich color. Rock those curls.

I can totally see you with longer hair. Just my bias. Love long curls. Again, awesome color.

Will try this today :)
    Thanks :) I am growing it out slowly but surely. When I straightened my hair daily I changed my hair cut so often - like, every other month - that it's taking so much willpower to leave it. :(
    CG since June 2010.

• CurlyLinZeeCurlyLinZee Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you diffuse at all? Your hair looks like you just air-dry, which is why you don't have much volume. Maybe try diffusing for a little while when your hair is really wet--and do it upside down and concentrate on getting your roots dry first. That should give you some volume. Your hair looks good! Nice and healthy. Looks like 3a to me too.
    Hair type: 2c/3a ii, medium/coarse, desert hair
    Cleansers: CJ Daily Fix
    Conditioners: CJ Beauticurls Argan Oil, Tresemme
    Leave-In Conditioners: CJ BCLI
    Deep Conditioners: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, SS DDMT
    Stylers:
    KCCC
    Holding Gels: CJ Curl Queen
    Pomade: Jane Carter N&S
    Hair Likes: agave nectar, oils of any kind

Diffused today for the third/fourth time. I'm yet to master it but here's a pic... Still no enough volume at the roots for my liking, and one side is considerably bigger than the other. I'm using the pixiecurl method, btw. :)

I've uploaded a picture of the top of my head today so you can see how flat it is (excuse the roots - I am debating whether to grow my natural colour out or not so haven't dyed it for 4 months) and also another pic of my general curl pattern.

DSCN9179.jpg
    DSCN9162.jpg
    I have an issue with too much clumping, and diffusing makes me a little frizzy (as you can see!)
    CG since June 2010.

• RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
    Whaaaaat??? I don't see any frizz! All I see is smooth, shiny curls! It looks really nice!!
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
    Hahaha it's mainly nice but a bit frizzy in some places but you can't really tell on that pic. Thanks for the compliment :) I wish i could get it to not get such big clumps in some parts. =[
    CG since June 2010.

• RacerWife7RacerWife7 Posts: 895Registered Users Curl Novice
    Can you separate them a bit now that its dry??

As for frizz, I have to make sure I use a strong enough gel or I get frizz. What'd you use?
    Janet ~ Northern NJ
    Properties: Dense, Fine, Low Porosity, Low Elasticity
    My Picasa Album
    What I used in this photo:
    Cleansing: Suave Tropical Coconut Condish
    Conditioner: CJ Smoothing Condish
    Styling: CJCQ
    th_d963586e.jpg
  • zumbagirlzumbagirl Posts: 61Registered Users
    Kimmissan

Oh! My! Goodness! What gorgeous shiny curls.
    :wav:

Racerwife7 is right, diffusing will give volume. You might give up a little shine, but you might like the bit of volume more.

Did you try gently massaging at scalp to loosen at scalp and give volume?

whatever, it appears you are on to something good!

Zumbagirl
    My routine issss.. basically, cowash wih original source tea tree and mint.. then condition upside down while scrunching (haven't settled on one conditioner yet - yesterday I used a naked truth one).. when I have nice curls formed I rinse with cool water in a scrunching motion (still upside down). Then I use Boots Curl Creme (the pink stuff) and scrunch it in upside down, then flip head to the side and to the other side to scrunch a bit more in. Then scrunch with a tshirt to get the worst of the water off. Sometimes I add a bit more creme here depending on how much has come off onto my tshirt. And I add mousse or gel - yesterday I used regular garnier fructis gel.. normally I use naked truth mousse stuff but it gives me frizz. After that I either let it air dry or diffuse. I do the pixiecurl thing.

So it's basically just a whole lot of scrunching! I need to find a good gel though because I get much better results with gel not even intended for curls than I do with mousse that is, so I imagine my hair will be lovely with a good gel.

I tried doing the scalp massage thing but I was still a bit flat. Might try clipping later this week. I'll try separating them dry as well, I've tried it before but they didn't appreciate my meddling.

The positive feedback is making me much more hopeful!
    CG since June 2010.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file