dandruff/anti-itch no/low poo DOES IT EXIST?

Hi y'all. I'm relatively new to CG but so far I'm lovin' my no-poo Jessicurl cleansing cream. HOWEVER, I still suffer from teenage oily scalp as well as genetic itchy-prone scalp. Are there any no- or low-poos out there that I could use every week or so?

What I normally do, even before CG, is use Selson BLue shampoo once every other week. But it has yucky sulfates in it, so I am looking for an alternative.
Type: 2b/3a/3b mix- mostly 3a
Went CG: December 2010

Comments

• KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    Hi, SouthernCurl, and welcome to NaturallyCurly.com.

Actually, there are quite a few products that may help your itchy scalp. (I have seborrhea myself, so I'm constantly on the lookout.)

My favorite is Max Green Alchemy Scalp Rescue Shampoo. It's a little pricey (about $15), but it's organic, and I find it helps my itchies without drying out my hair.

I've also tried Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo. (You can find it at Walmart, Target or Publix for about $8-$9) However, they changed their formula and it smells too much like menthol. (I don't like the smell, but it opens up my sinuses!)

One I have not tried, but many curlies here love, is Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo. (I'm not sure of the price, but depending on where you get it, it could be around $9-$12.)

I hope you find something that helps. (If you do, please let me know!) :wave:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • wavymelwavymel Posts: 34Registered Users
    How often would one use this giovanni shampoo? Is it good to use weekly or twice a week.

I've been struggling with this but when I first read up on nopoo I tried out the baking soda and ACV rinse and was quite surprised the itch went away right away as it does each time I shampoo but will begin to itch in 2-3 days without wash. That is without a cowash even. Unemployed and home-bound a lot so I get away with not washing it much right now. It seems to be about day 3 that I get the itch which then will flake off when itched/rubbed.

I've been using the Suave Professionals almond which I found out does have "cones" but its almost gone and I'm going to purchase some coconut I think and maybe some Giovanni tea tree to do a weekly wash or something, I think. Is the Giovanni conditioner safe for daily condition?
    2b/2c newbie CG
    routine(loosely as I learn what works):
    cowash: Suave Naturals Pomegranate
    lowpoo: Jason tea tree oil(once a week as needed)
    RO: Giovanni TTTT(will use the Suave 2nd time if the tea tree gets drying)
    :love4: Giovanni leave in & coconut oil

Finally found what stops the itch and flaking, Neutrogena TGel, too bad its not SLS free :sad10:

As a side note I've always used minimal shampoo. I go through twice as much conditioner and always have. I always get raves from the stylists about what I use when I get cut. It was usually Pantene in the past when I could afford the cost but surely because the cones were masking frizz.
    2b/2c newbie CG

Finally found what stops the itch and flaking, Neutrogena TGel, too bad its not SLS free :sad10:

• geckogecko Posts: 313Registered Users
    Following recent dry season itchy scalp issues (with itchy bumps too), I switched from washing with Suave Coconut Conditioner (which had been working fine) to CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser (about the same ingredients as a conditioner) and occasionally alternating with DermaDoctor Born to be Mild (a mild shampoo for dandruff / scalp issues. Has SLS - Oh my! Does not leave my scalp sticky or oily like other shampoos do.) So far so good.

If you use a SLS shampoo / medicated shampoo - you can protect the length of your hair by doing the spritz and condition method .
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets
    Okay went shopping. I gotta say I couldn't find Giovanni tea tree in my local Kroger store the Jason tea tree oil shampoo which is SLS free. I saw the milder cleansers are in it though. But the itch and flaking was horrible so I needed something. It feels so much better since I did a clarify(Suave Naturals Pomegranate) followed by this shampoo. I'm not sure what I'll do for a normal condition and rinse but for today I used the Suave pomengrante conditioner and see if the flakes and itch go. I've also been using a olive oil spray which may have caused this flakes and "dandruff" when I never had it before I started using it a few years ago. Good to know I probably did it to myself. :sad5: I loved the shine and softness that it made me think I had.

It seems a little "dry" so I think my continuation with nopoo from now will need to be tweaked. Of course this is Day 1 of a journey I'm sure. My avatar is my mostly dry "results" of no combing and cone free. Now I'll see what sulfate free and cone free can do in a week or two.
    2b/2c newbie CG

• belwillcoilybelwillcoily Posts: 303Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Like KurleeEdna, I also suffer from seborrhea dermatitis but only in the very front of my head (think, the area where you would part for bangs). Cold winter weather can aggravate it. I also, in general, have sensitive skin and so putting something on my scalp that I have an allergic reaction to can aggravate it too. Case in point, my short stint with trying braided extensions and cleansing the scalp with alcohol-free witch hazel was a nightmare and threw me into a full blown seborrhea dermatitis flare up--won't be doing that EVER again! The hair gets washed with SLS free shampoo every 5 to 7 days like clockwork since that's what my scalp needs. Since that regimen causes frizzy braided extensions, I no longer wear those but rather just style my own hair. My hair thanks me for that epiphany everyday...

But I digress--I wanted to tell you about an SLS free shampoo that I found at a local health food store that has worked wonders to clear up my sd flare ups. It's J/A/S/O/N Natural Cosmetics Dandruff Relief All Natural Hair & Scalp Therapy System. The bottle says it's fortified with MSM, Neem oil, Tea Tree Oil, Colloidal Sulfur, and Rosemary. Anyway, this stuff has been great for my scalp and I think because of all the oils in it, it doesn't dry out my hair. It has a strong smell to it, but it's not an unpleasant scent (at least not to me). If the smell is too strong for anyone else who wants to try it, you can always add essential oils (like lavender) to tone down the smell. It's a little pricey ($10.09 for a 12 ounce bottle) but since my sd is localized to one spot on my head, a little goes a long way for me. I've been using it for about 3 or 4 weeks now and the sd flare up has cleared. At the end of this week when I wash again, I'll probably put this away for now until the next flare up since it's cleared. This stuff is great! I'm sure other "mainstream" health food stores like Whole Foods probably carries it too, you just have to call and ask.

HTH! ;-)
    :afro: Me Fascina El Pelo :afro:

Low Porosity; Medium Strands; Dense
  • Lotsa loopsLotsa loops Posts: 130Registered Users
    I'm in the exact same situation as you, and I'm currently using the Avalon Organics Tea Tree Mint Treatment Shampoo for my dry scalp problem and it TOTALLY helps!
    Hair Type: I was thinking thick, fine 3A, but honestly I have no clue! I do know I have a super flat top, and frizz on the sides.
    No - Poo Shampoo: Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees More Moisture Condish
    Products: Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, AG Recoil Curl Activator
  • mslittlelalamslittlelala Posts: 139Registered Users
    I have SD / dandruff too. I have tried trader joe's tea tree it made it worse. Giovanni tea tree felt nice and got my scalp clean but didn't make it go away. Currently and for about 2 months I've been using Beauty without Cruelty Rosemary Mint. It gets my sclp CLEAN and it's sls free and paraben free. Great price too but I get mine online from vitacost only because I order other natural products there. It's the cheapest online store I've seen. Just be sure to use a conditioner after. If you're into shampoo bars Chagrin Valley's Rosemary Mint is even better.
    FULL CG - 2nd Attempt 2/27/11
    TYPE: Fluffy see through coils & corkscrews when dry & product free
    HGS underlined
    DC: AOHSR / AOGPB / AOSwim / Elucence
    PO: BWC RM / CV Poo Bars
    Cowash: Vo5 KL / GTTT Dilute / Vo5 SC
    RO: AOBGA
    LEAVE INS
    Warm mths - help??
    Cool mths - H20, Olive oil, whipped shea butter
    STYLE: La Bella Styling Gel / Deva SIF
  • tashtash Posts: 112Registered Users
    I have been doing a modified version of the baking soda/vinegar thing for a while now. It seems to help me if I use it every other day. I use a thick paste of baking soda as a scalp scrub, then I use watered down lemon juice (I am blond, use regular white or apple cider vinegar if you aren't). Between the bs and lj I co and comb. Then when I get out I use a no cone gel and plop overnight.

I tried tt stuff, but tt seems to make my hair greasy. For something with sls the Garnier dandruff poo worked great for me (it had the zinc stuff and smelled like apples).
    2b/c with some 1 and 3a tendencies. fine-medium, still searching for the HG..... Hair Bio

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file