Does you hair become more curly on the Curly Girl Method?

I was wondering. I like my curls, but I want them to be bouncy and maybe a little tighter. Will the CG Method do that?

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    For some the answer is yes...for some, the answer is no. It all depends on your individual hair. For most, the curl pattern would probably at least get more consistent, but lots of people get curlier on the CG method because most curls thrive under lots of moisture. Go for it! If you (or your hair) don't like it, you can always go back to sulfate shampoo.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • pinkwolfpinkwolf Posts: 430Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yes for me it has. :) There no sulphates or cones to build-up or weight down my curls.
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm modified CG (use natural soap bars to cleanse.) I went from winter wavy/summer 3a to hair like my signature picture every day.

The healthier your hair, the more it curls (there's only so much potential.) You can maximize your curls by achieving the right protein/moisture balance. Staying away from harsh cleansers and silicones should help.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lianeandthemusiclianeandthemusic Posts: 22Registered Users
    My hair has actually become less curly as a result of the CG method. Not sure why this is, but in any case, my hair definitely looks better.
    CG for 6 months!
    2b/3a, fine hair, medium/high porosity and normal elasticity.

Routine:
    Co-wash/Leave-In: Alberto V05 Tea Therapy Conditioner in Blackberry & Sage
    Occasional Deep Conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea! Extra Moisturizing Conditioner
    Styling Products: LA Looks Sport Gel

Dislikes: honey, heat styling, plopping, and polyquats!
  • maggiecurlzzzmaggiecurlzzz Posts: 12Registered Users
    Mine went from 3B to 3C, with major shrinkage. Honestly I liked the curls, but found it hard to manage -- it was almost as if each individual curl had a life of its own, and my head became a wildness of frizz. (Actually, my first day hair was less frizzy, but by the end of the day it would start to get BIG.)

So I went back to my old routine: shampoo and cones, which relax my hair considerably. When my hair gets longer and has more weight, I'll go back to no-poo. But at this length (chin, stretching to shoulder) I think it looks better with slightly less curl. :hello2:
  • MaciMaci Posts: 180Registered Users
    kathymack wrote: »
    I'm modified CG (use natural soap bars to cleanse.) I went from winter wavy/summer 3a to hair like my signature picture every day.

The healthier your hair, the more it curls (there's only so much potential.) You can maximize your curls by achieving the right protein/moisture balance. Staying away from harsh cleansers and silicones should help.

Kathymack you said it that your curls have more 'potential'. I was a 2c before CG and now I'm a 3a/3b. My hair was just starved for moisture. But when my hair gets too much moisture and needs a protein shot it will relax back to a 2c/3a. After a protein treatment, my 3b curls come right back.

Here's a picture of my hair when I first started on this site. You can definitely see the diference compared to my avatar. I'm also a ModCG because I use Elucence Moisture Benefits poo before deep treatments.
    Spirals, curls & waves, Med-Coarse Texture, Med Porosity, Low Elasticity
  • ElithiaElithia Posts: 297Registered Users
    Mine got much curlier. It went from a mass of frizz with no definition to 3a literally overnight, and over the course of the next year also developed some 3b particularly at the ends.

I also was lucky and never had a nasty greasy phase. But I would say that my texture continued to evolve and get curlier for about two years after I went CG, as I refined products and technique and it "healed" from all the shampoo and brushing.
    Proudly CG since 8/10/06 - the story of my hair!
    Type: 3a/b, very thick
    Length: almost BSL wet
    Products: Suave coconut conditioner, coconut oil, Totally Twisted gel

Don't forget to be awesome!
  • Jadrien24Jadrien24 Posts: 8Registered Users
    I've been on CG for just over a week now but I could see a difference even on the first day. I damaged by hair quite a lot about a year ago by dyeing it 12 times in the span of about a month (so bad). Ive cut off hopefully most of the damaged bits but there are some pieces still on top that are wavy or even straight and brittle compared to the curls I have elsewhere. But since I started CGing, even those pieces have started curling more and I got back a lot of the root curl I hadn't had for a long time. I'm definitely a believer ;).
    3a/3b Botticelli/Corkicelli Fii
    high porosity, fine, 19"- wanting to get to 28"!!!
    Started CG on 1/1/11 :)
    2323232327Ffp7338nu336354334245454425258ot1lsi.jpg2323232327Ffp7338nu336354338245454429258ot1lsi.jpg[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurliesFTW_xoCurliesFTW_xo Posts: 111Registered Users
    My answer would be yes. Well it worked with my hair but it could be different with yours. I noticed after a couple of weeks my hair was growing ALOT faster, it was ALOT softer and my curl were actually beautiful for once. They keep getting tighter and alot bouncier.
    Id give it a go if i were you :)

Naturally brunette but dyed hair, dark brown ( nearly black ) in November 2010.Trying to grow to WL but only past SL atm. Currently not CO washing and using Pantenes shampoo. Styling: Schwarzkopf ultimate repair serum with total ends repair. Also use Aussies 3 miracle worker from time to time. 3B,bouncy ringlets,medium thickness,strands are neither fine nor coarse,dry,low elasticity ( when wet, but high elasticity when dry ) and proud to be a curly!
  • emthefantasticalemthefantastical Posts: 963Registered Users Curl Novice
    My hair got curlier, but also the curl is far more consistent than it used to be. Most importantly though, it is so much healthier. I stopped straightening and I really limit sulfate-usage, and I don't use cones unless I straighten (which has been once in the past year). My hair is soft and shiny. I've had friends say that they never knew naturally curly hair could be so soft and shiny. For just those reasons I think CG is worth at least a try. I think I would be doing it regardless of whether my curl got tighter, just because it looks so much healthier.
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

• CurlyLinZeeCurlyLinZee Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yep, that's the bottom line. Your hair will get healthier, so if you have hidden curl potential that you're just not seeing yet in your hair because it's starved for moisture and protein--then you may see a dramatic increase in "curliness" once you go CG.
    Hair type: 2c/3a ii, medium/coarse, desert hair
    Cleansers: CJ Daily Fix
    Conditioners: CJ Beauticurls Argan Oil, Tresemme
    Leave-In Conditioners: CJ BCLI
    Deep Conditioners: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, SS DDMT
    Stylers:
    KCCC
    Holding Gels: CJ Curl Queen
    Pomade: Jane Carter N&S
    Hair Likes: agave nectar, oils of any kind

• Lotsa loopsLotsa loops Posts: 130Registered Users
    My hair is was as curly as it was before I started going CG, but because my hair is longer than it was then, I can't be sure. It is definitely more shinier and it has more bounce.
    Hair Type: I was thinking thick, fine 3A, but honestly I have no clue! I do know I have a super flat top, and frizz on the sides.
    No - Poo Shampoo: Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees More Moisture Condish
    Products: Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, AG Recoil Curl Activator
  • cutenelicuteneli Posts: 58Registered Users
    SCRUNCH! I became obsessed with hair after I became CG and did like 5 of my friends hair. 4 of them had straight hair with a tiny bit of wave. After I washed their hair and scrunched it it looked like they used curling irons! All you have to do is scrunch a lot!
    3a, 3b (corkscrew)
    Texture: mostly medium except for some messed up parts on top which are coarse.
    Porosity: High
    Haircut: I got my hair majorly thinned!!! Best thing I ever did!

Still looking for the perfect products! And trying to deal with hard water!
  • belowabridgebelowabridge Posts: 10Registered Users
    Different for everybody I suppose, but within days my ringlets were springy and shiny and most deffinitely tighter. also less poof/ frizz which makes the curl more define and over all look curlier even if the curls arent necessarily tighter. hope it works out for you!!
    shoulder length and growing out to mid back, thin, blonde, type 2c with 3a curls mixed
    CG since 1/23/2011

I'm a product junky but my current favorites: organix tea tree and mint poo, giovanni tea tree shampoo,suave coconut cond, tressemee naturals, biolage balm, l'oreal vive pro, knot today!!!, pantene curly gel, activator gel, kccc, fantasia polishing serum
  • Shelby.DayShelby.Day Posts: 1Registered Users
    I would love to read an update from this original post to see how her hair is liking the CG method.

While I used Wen for about 7 years prior to "officially" doing the CG method I did completely stop blowing my hair dry straight over the past 3 months. I originally had 2C hair. After about a month I moved to 3A but now my spirals are getting tighter so I have some 3B hair mixed in. So, it is my experience my hair has become curlier but I think it's because I wear my hair curly everyday with no straightening.

Bra-strap length 3A, low porosity, medium and coarse hair.

Currently using:

Cleansing - DevaCurl No Poo / Wen Cleansing Conditioner (Fig or Green Tea)
    Conditioner - DevaCurl One Condition
    Leave-in - AG Fast Food
    Gel - DevaCurl ArcAngel Defining Gel
    Frizz (as needed) - SheaMoisture Yucca Frizz Spray / Ouidad serum
  • DrRachDrRach Posts: 264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For me, yes. Going CG has made my curls much tighter and more uniform, with lots of definition compared to preCG frizz.
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file