getting beyond shoulder length

chicabonita93chicabonita93 Posts: 18Registered Users
for all the 3c out there that have armpit length and longer hair what did you do to get longer then the shoulders? what protective styles seemed to work the best, and what moisturizer did you use?
thank!:happy11:

Comments

• pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    Hm, I'm only armpit length stretched, not when curly so I can't help you there. I think it's more of a patience thing, low manipulation, and making sure your hair is properly moisturized to get to that length while curly.

Hope someone can better answer your questions.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • BeMoreBeMore Posts: 63Registered Users
    For me, the key was vitamins.

I've always had extrmely long hair, but once I started taking vitamins, i definitely saw an increase in the growth rate of my hair (even my nails). I don't take anything too fancy, Centrum A to Zinc is what i normally go for. Just one of those a day.

Beyond that, just like many other would say, its all about keeping you hair (especially your ends) healthy as your hair gets longer.
    Texturizer
    Co-wash: Desert Essence Jojoba Body Boosting/CJDF
    Conditioner: Aubrey Organics White Camellia
    DT: Aubrey Organics GPB
    Leave-In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Oils: Grapeseed, Apricot Kernel, Avocado, Coconut
  • chicabonita93chicabonita93 Posts: 18Registered Users
    Hm, I'm only armpit length stretched, not when curly so I can't help you there. I think it's more of a patience thing, low manipulation, and making sure your hair is properly moisturized to get to that length while curly.

thank you for responding! how long did it take u from shoulder length stretched to armpit length streched,? right now i am shourlder length stretched neck length curly
  • chicabonita93chicabonita93 Posts: 18Registered Users
    BeMore wrote: »
    For me, the key was vitamins.

I've always had extrmely long hair, but once I started taking vitamins, i definitely saw an increase in the growth rate of my hair (even my nails). I don't take anything too fancy, Centrum A to Zinc is what i normally go for. Just one of those a day.

Beyond that, just like many other would say, its all about keeping you hair (especially your ends) healthy as your hair gets longer.

i take one a day womans, my hair and nails always grow faast, and i eat healthy too so for me its just retaining length
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users

thank you for responding! how long did it take u from shoulder length stretched to armpit length streched,? right now i am shourlder length stretched neck length curly

Well not long since I transitioned for almost two years before I chopped off the permed ends and when I did that it left me about 2 maybe 3 inches above shoulder length. Then within the last 3 almost 4 months I managed to have my hair reach my shoulders. So parts of my hair when stretched are pass bra strap length.

All I've been doing is my modified CG routine and making sure my hair is properly moisturized. I also am a huge fan of protective styles, I've always loved trying out new hairstyles . . whether my hair was permed or natural. So I pretty much just leave my hair be to do it's own thing unless I'm washing it.

I do my best to keep my hands and others hands out of it and I don't go to the salon, I don't use heat (I only air dry). I exercise and drink plenty of water - that really seems to help. I take vitamins daily, and occasionally I'll take a hair and nail vitamin (but it's not really consistent, so I don't attribute my growth rate to this).

Overall, it's taken me about 4 months to get here. It sucks sometimes because shrinkage makes my hair fro out and not down . . LOL .
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I'm a 3a and I can't get mine to grow past shoulder-length, either.
    Here's an article we wrote about hair growth and here's one about foods to eat for healthy hair.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    Patience. :)
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • mathispaynemathispayne Posts: 21Registered Users
    ditto nana_banana.

I found that styling less and washing less often helped tremendously. I shed less hair that way. I also nuked my combs and brushes. So glad I did that...I'm actually seeing thickness and growth now.
    Hair Type
    A Bit of 3b
    |&|Mostly 3c

Regimen:
    Wash and twist hair with oil & Twist hair for bed
    No combs or brushes & No "products"
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
    My hair is on the fine side and porous

The most helpful things in getting to Apl curly, have been:

1.Regular Protein conditioning ( AOGPB & Swimmers)

2. sealing my ends ( olive oil, Sheamoisture, Mozeke)

3.Regular detangling and Wearing my hair strechted and in protective styles for low manipulation.
    Protective styling:
    4-6 braids pulled into a bun
    Braid outs
    Braids outs smoothed into a bun
    braids outs smoothed into a side bun, with a swoop bang

4. Using aloe vera juice regularly, helps close my porous hair shaft to lock in moisture, due to the aloe vera's ph level.
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • CaramelBlondieCaramelBlondie Posts: 6Registered Users
    I am currently dusting APL in the front, and BSL in the back.

What I have done:
    -Given my hair multiple breaks (worn protective styles) with braids, sew-ins, and wigs.
    -Treated my ends with EVOO, Elasta QP Mango Butter, Castor Oil and Glycerin.
    -Monthly protein treatments (when I come out of a protective style) with Aphogee, and following that up with ORS Moisturizing Conditioner.
    -When wearing my natural curls in the summer, I co-washed daily.
    -While rocking a sew-in or wigs, I treated the hair underneath with Profectiv (can't remember the exact name of it but it says that it is for braids/locks and it comes in a nice squeeze bottle with a thin nozzle that fits perfectly between braids)
    -Blow-drying and heat-styling my hair no more than once a month (and lightly clipping my ends)

HTH
    Okay, so I'm not blonde anymore - but I am still Caramel!:study:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file