Upset

kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
I have slowly been gaining weight over the years. Since university I have really ballooned out and though deep down I was aware of this, I have kind of buried my head in the sand so to speak and ignored it.

Today I looked in the mirror and just started crying.

Looking at old photos I used to be skinny but curvy, but due to bullying and extreme lack of confidence, I always felt fat but beyond that I never realized, or bothered to think about my figure, or how what I ate affected it. As I grew older, I wasn't particularly interested in being really social or getting a boyfriend so took no notice of how much weight I had put on.

Now its suddenly hit home.

And I feel really disgusted with myself that I have been so oblivious to my health, figure and (probably sub-consciously) in denial about how bad I have let things become.

My stomach is what I constantly agonize over (it is large and I have a substantial gut), but basically its an issue of too much weight gained all over. Its embarrassing and hurts to admit that out loud. My clothes don't fit, and I can't find nice clothes that do. I hate to go out where people can see me, but I also hate being in the house around my parents, so I stay in my room.

This is a long post, but I just needed to put it out there. Admit that I have a problem. And really try to actually do something about it rather than moan on here every so often then sit back and comfort eat.

My local small sports center has these group classes on offer. Im scared to go to them but think it would a good idea to try it out. Im not even sure what some of them are. Which would be a good idea?

AeroCombo
Pilates
Body Conditioning
Kickboxing
Complete conditioning
Kettleball
Aqua Fit

Comments

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    I'm assuming AquaFit is done in a pool? Swimming is good exercise and easy on the joints for someone who's just starting to work out. I don't get that whole "OMG, I can't walk!" feeling with swimming that I do with other workouts sometimes.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
    ^ Yes. We have a new (but small) pool just opened a couple of months ago. I have avoided it like the plague because all the lifeguards seem to be 17 yr old boys. (Who I'd rather not show my wobbly bits to!)
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    Oh, I completely feel you on the wobbly bits. I'm more wobbly after this baby than ever. :( Sometimes I look at myself and think I'm okay, and other times I just want to cry because I'm so flabby and everything is in the wrong place.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • curlyclo89curlyclo89 Registered Users Posts: 173
    I know how you feel - I've felt the same way. It's good that you're acknowledging your feelings and starting to feel motivated to do something! That's a positive change, even if it doesn't feel like one yet.

I'm a huge advocate of exercise classes. I'm so much more motivated when there are other people working with me! I have tried several of the exercise classes you mentioned. My personal favorites are pilates and kickboxing. Pilates is all about core strength without pain, and kickboxing is just pure, get-your-butt-into-shape fun!

Are you allowed to visit/try out the classes? You should try any ones that you think you'd like. It's all about finding something that is fun and challenging for you. :cool:
    :sunny: 3c/4a; medium porosity; high elasticity; M; iii

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    curlyclo89 wrote: »
    I know how you feel - I've felt the same way. It's good that you're acknowledging your feelings and starting to feel motivated to do something! That's a positive change, even if it doesn't feel like one yet.

I'm a huge advocate of exercise classes. I'm so much more motivated when there are other people working with me! I have tried several of the exercise classes you mentioned. My personal favorites are pilates and kickboxing. Pilates is all about core strength without pain, and kickboxing is just pure, get-your-butt-into-shape fun!

Are you allowed to visit/try out the classes? You should try any ones that you think you'd like. It's all about finding something that is fun and challenging for you. :cool:

Visiting/trying out the classes is a really good idea. Even if you can't try them out, if you can observe, that will give you a sense of whether you would like it or not, and if you would feel comfortable.

Kat, give yourself a lot of credit for even thinking about it and not lapsing into denial or giving up before you start. Facing the problem is the hardest part. Yay for you! :thumbup: Please post some more and hopefully we can encourage you. Maybe a gentle class like body conditioning would be a good starter, but you'll know after you check it out. I find 100 reasons to avoid exercising - but I feel so much better when I do, and your post will give me a little butt kick which I need (every day!). Best of luck to you.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    I found that it took a huge "aha moment" to provide the impetus to finally take off the weight. So maybe that's what's going on now. If so - that's a good thing! If you're truly motivated to change, now's the time to start. Exercise is a great idea and you need to find an activity that you enjoy and will do regularly, but to be honest, it's changing your eating habits that will most impact your weight. People don't really want to hear that, but it's true. A combination of exercise and eating less is even better.

So, decide how you want to change your eating. I followed a southbeach plan to lose my 35 lbs - basically focusing on veggies & lean protein and adding in some fruit and whole grain carbs. That plan seemed a healthy way to go about losing weight - and I still follow the maintenance guidelines to keep my weight off.

Whatever you end up deciding, you can use your feelings right now to help you stay on track to getting healthy. For instance, when I felt like eating sweets, I would just think "Paul" to myself. He was my bil who died of complications from diabetes. I used his memory to help give me strength to stay on my eating and exercise plan. If you come up with a quick word or phrase, you also might find it helpful.

Good luck to you - you can make any changes you want. You just have to want it enough to do the work and stick with it. Keep posting here - we'll all cheer you on!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• KookyCurlKookyCurl Registered Users Posts: 1,980
    I know how you feel! I've always been curvy and on the bigger side and though my actual clothes size hasn't change, how it's proportioned has and that I do not like. I've also been going through old pictures and thinking "whoa! I was pretty thin!" For me it's hard to realize because, I've always felt the same. Generally I'm pretty confident but I def. have my moments.

Lately I've been emotionally eating to deal with the stress of underemployment and my dad's illness. I need to get back moving.

I remember at work I used to do standing crunches while waiting for my lunch to heat up. I'd throw in some side twists and thereby work in a few exercises that way.

I love pilates! I need to get back into it. As a former dancer it appeals to my need for stretch and line and flow. I had a kick butt teacher who also pushed me only as far as I could. It looks intimidating but many pro places have mats with foot loops that you use to help you. I so wish I had known that before I went, I'd have started sooner!

Also change things slowly. I find usually if I start either exercising first or changing my eating I stay with it better. One then the other. I find it less overwhelming anyway.

Just make the commitment. I started going to the gym with a friend to hit the treadmills. I learned to get tunnel vision. Don't look around, just focus ahead (easier if the gym has tv's on every station). Keep focused on you and let everyone else worry about themselves! I know it's easier said than done, but it does work. You'll feel better just doing something.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    2poodles wrote: »
    I found that it took a huge "aha moment" to provide the impetus to finally take off the weight. So maybe that's what's going on now. If so - that's a good thing! If you're truly motivated to change, now's the time to start. Exercise is a great idea and you need to find an activity that you enjoy and will do regularly, but to be honest, it's changing your eating habits that will most impact your weight. People don't really want to hear that, but it's true. A combination of exercise and eating less is even better.

So, decide how you want to change your eating. I followed a southbeach plan to lose my 35 lbs - basically focusing on veggies & lean protein and adding in some fruit and whole grain carbs. That plan seemed a healthy way to go about losing weight - and I still follow the maintenance guidelines to keep my weight off.

Whatever you end up deciding, you can use your feelings right now to help you stay on track to getting healthy. For instance, when I felt like eating sweets, I would just think "Paul" to myself. He was my bil who died of complications from diabetes. I used his memory to help give me strength to stay on my eating and exercise plan. If you come up with a quick word or phrase, you also might find it helpful.

Good luck to you - you can make any changes you want. You just have to want it enough to do the work and stick with it. Keep posting here - we'll all cheer you on!

I'm going to try the bolded idea. Thanks for the tip!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
    Thanks for the support and encouragement everyone.

I've have chosen the wrong time of year for this lol! Because the house is stuffed with bad thing and Christmas treats!

Im going to sit down the write out some goals and figure out exactly what I need to change in my eating/exercising habits.

Being so low about my job/career and circumstances at the moment is only making the weight situation worse. I just need to sort my life out really. One step at a time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file