Henna: Did the Deed

Chocolate curlsChocolate curls Registered Users Posts: 13
Hello fellow curlies,
I just wanted to share my first experience with Henna. I've been contemplating this process forever and a day and recently came to the conclusion that Henna might be my best bet in aide of my recovery from the effects of my Heat Damage episode.*Bummer!*

I used:
  • Rainbow Henna 4 oz jar in Persian Red which is the only actual pure Henna (Lawsonia Inermis) this brand sells.
  • 2 bags of green tea in 1 cup of water
  • 1 TBS of honey
Applied the mix around 4pm yesterday and washed it out around 11:30 this morning. While I used it more for its conditioning properties than for color, my hair is noticeably LIGHTER with a red tint. Im not too sure how I feel it about that yet, but I LOVE with a capital L, the results thus far. My hair felt much SOFTER and FULLER even before doing my deep treatment. Awesomeness! Im still sitting around with Deep Treatment in my hair but I was soo thrilled with my results already that I wanted to share.

Ultimately these are the long term results Im looking for:
  • Stronger Hair
  • Shine
  • Manageability
  • Smoother hair cuticle
  • Healthier Scalp
If you ladies and Henna Heads have any tips and recipes on how to get these results sooner with Henna please do tell.

My Deep Treatment:
  • Inecto Coconut Oil Condish
  • Jamaican Black Castor Oil
  • Pure Virgin Coconut Oil
I'll post pics on my fotki when Im done for those of you that are interested.

Comments

• girlwiththecurlgirlwiththecurl Registered Users Posts: 10
    pictures please!! i've been looking everywhere for pictures of henna on black hair, but i can't find any. i'd really like an idea of how my hair will turn out before i do it :)
  • AllyTAllyT Registered Users Posts: 613
    I'm surprised it lightened your hair. Maybe it has something to do with what you mixed it with since I'd always heard you can't lighten hair with henna.

Did you have trouble applying it? I would think the honey would make it awfully sticky and pasty. I can only use honey in my hair if it is diluted plenty with conditioner.

I'm glad you had such success with henna! : ) I'd like to see pics, too!
  • NaturalReviewNaturalReview Registered Users Posts: 91
    I've started mixing my henna with coconut milk with good results. It left my hair feeling stronger and healthier. It was also not as dry as my other henna mixes. To get the full benefits of henna, use it on a monthly basis.

www.naturalreviewbyl.com
  • Chocolate curlsChocolate curls Registered Users Posts: 13
    Henna pics are up on my fotki! Finally

Thanks for the tip NaturalReview my hair seems to love coconut anything so I'll definitely give the milk a try. Love your hair and your blog thanks for thinking of us curlies. Im a pj so I will be hittin your blog before making my purchases :happy11:
    AllyT wrote: »
    I'm surprised it lightened your hair. Maybe it has something to do with what you mixed it with since I'd always heard you can't lighten hair with henna.

Did you have trouble applying it? I would think the honey would make it awfully sticky and pasty. I can only use honey in my hair if it is diluted plenty with conditioner.

I was surprised that it looked lighter too! Maybe the red tint was what made it look lighter and I expected that but I thought I would have to go in the sun or bright light to notice the difference. That was certainly not the case and my mom even noticed without me saying anything.
    The pics are on my fotki and they honestly do no justice in showing the color but you can check it out if you'd like.

As far as the honey in my mix: I only used 1 tbs maybe that's why it wasn't so bad.

I was surprised that it looked lighter too! Maybe the red tint was what made it look lighter and I expected that but I thought I would have to go in the sun or bright light to notice the difference. That was certainly not the case and my mom even noticed without me saying anything.
    The pics are on my fotki and they honestly do no justice in showing the color but you can check it out if you'd like.

As far as the honey in my mix: I only used 1 tbs maybe that's why it wasn't so bad.

I see all of those red highlights - pretty! It doesn't look lighter to me overall, but like you said, it's probably the pictures.

I think I'll have to try honey next time I henna since I've been trying to lighten my hair already with honey deep treatments - the henna I used contains herbs that darken hair, and I don't like it quite this dark.
  • theliothelio Registered Users Posts: 5,374
    I did the deed as well. I got my henna from mehandi.com. I just used lemon juice and added cinnamon to combat the smell. I love my hair, and it smells amazing! my hair is now the kind of curl i had as a small child. it's shiny and sooooooooooo soft, i can't wear it out because strangers cop a feel. My hair was dark brown in the winter and lighter brown with red hue in the summer. my hair is now my summer color in the winter which i love. I have no more itching scalp, and when i detangle, its ten times easier, and no more clogging the drain. it's super messing, but so worth it. my first henna was a month ago. i'm doing a second treatment this weekend for christmas.

where has henna been all my life?? if i could i would marry it.
    Thelio, what mehandi henna did you get? I want to try their's - I've heard so many good things about it. I don't know whether to get the kind for AA hair or the one for gray hair - I'm leaning toward gray because I have gray hairs coming in and the AA one says it doesn't give as much gray coverage.
  • MsJMsJ Registered Users Posts: 9
    I've mixed it with red zinger tea (I figured it would help cause I wanted my hair to be as red as possible) avocado, coconut oil, honey, olive oil, and greek yogurt. My hair felt soooo soft and the color was noticeably red. I loved it.....matter fact I should definitely be trying to do this again soon now that I think of it lol!
    Thelio, what mehandi henna did you get? I want to try their's - I've heard so many good things about it. I don't know whether to get the kind for AA hair or the one for gray hair - I'm leaning toward gray because I have gray hairs coming in and the AA one says it doesn't give as much gray coverage.

It's the only henna i have tried, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. They offer kits, so i got the kit for red hair Ancient sunrise henna. you get 2 100g packs of henna. I have a few grays which where completely covered. They are a little brighter then the rest of my hair. But I like it.
    Thelio how long did it take for you to receive your henna? I would love to Henna again before the New Year and I wanted to try the Henna from Mehandi since this is the one everyone is ranting and raving about. I am discovering that I would probably marry Henna too because I am in LOVE!
    MsJ wrote: »
    I've mixed it with red zinger tea (I figured it would help cause I wanted my hair to be as red as possible) avocado, coconut oil, honey, olive oil, and greek yogurt. My hair felt soooo soft and the color was noticeably red. I loved it.....matter fact I should definitely be trying to do this again soon now that I think of it lol!

Just checked out your blog...your hair has and is growing beautifully. Whatever you're doing its working :)
    Thelio how long did it take for you to receive your henna? I would love to Henna again before the New Year and I wanted to try the Henna from Mehandi since this is the one everyone is ranting and raving about. I am discovering that I would probably marry Henna too because I am in LOVE!

sorry for such a late reply. i don't remember the excact amount of time, but i know it wasn't long. did you buy some? have you tried it?
    I ended up buying rainbow henna again due to convenience but I will be ordering some in about a wk for my next henna =). Sooo looking forward to it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file