Taking back my hair care responsibility

joyful15joyful15 Registered Users Posts: 1
I am not sure if someone has posted a message like this so please forgive me. My beautician started transitioning my hair April of 2009 from relaxed to natural when I became pregnant. I decided to keep it natural but I am tired of going to the salon and want to take control of my hair care. The problem is that I have no idea where to start. I don't know what products to use, how to wash it, or how to maintain it. I went in every two-three weeks to have it washed, treated, and pressed. Please help me on my journey to successfully maintaining my natural hair. As sad as it sounds I need someone to teach me from the beginning. Here are my first set of question(s): How do you wash, dry (if you dry it), and style natural hair and what products do you use to wash, condition, and maintain it (i.e. keep the scalp moisturized)? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• A_Klass_ActA_Klass_Act Registered Users Posts: 56
    YouTube has extremely helpful for me personally...There's a huge natural hair community on there where you can get great tips/suggestions/tutorials for all of your concerns. I'd check it out if I were you! Do a search for 'natural hair' and you'll find thousands of videos.

And congratulations on taking back control over your hair. Best wishes on your journey!
    Hair properties: Low porosity/fine strands Poo: CJDF, SM Moisture Retention RO Condish: Tresemme Naturals Deep Condish: JCWDT, CJHBDF LI: CJSL Moisturizer/Styler: Curls Souffle, KCCC Extras: Cassia, Bentonite & Rhassoul Clay, Shea butter mix, Cocoa butter mix, Castor oil
  • AsLckyGrlAsLckyGrl Registered Users Posts: 188 Curl Neophyte
    As for washing, I have a few tips: do not use products with sulfates... also, cleanse the scalp with your finger tips only, not your nails! The nails are too harsh and could cause breakage.

As for drying, you could try plopping. (search for it in the search bar.). Be sure to use a soft cloth like a t-shirt or microfiber towel. Regular towels cause so much frizz! Also, blot the hair, do not rub or you will have frizz, too.

I hope that helps. Good luck.
    3B ; BSL; Low Porosity; Med Texture; CG since July '10.
    Clean: Ever Sleek
    Treat: EVCO, Neutrogena 3xMoisture
    Tools: Boar Brush, wide tooth comb
    Styler: Garnier Sleek&Shine
  • AfroPRChicaAfroPRChica Registered Users Posts: 200
    joyful15 wrote: »
    I am not sure if someone has posted a message like this so please forgive me. My beautician started transitioning my hair April of 2009 from relaxed to natural when I became pregnant. I decided to keep it natural but I am tired of going to the salon and want to take control of my hair care. The problem is that I have no idea where to start. I don't know what products to use, how to wash it, or how to maintain it. I went in every two-three weeks to have it washed, treated, and pressed. Please help me on my journey to successfully maintaining my natural hair. As sad as it sounds I need someone to teach me from the beginning. Here are my first set of question(s): How do you wash, dry (if you dry it), and style natural hair and what products do you use to wash, condition, and maintain it (i.e. keep the scalp moisturized)? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

You might want to try going by the curly girl method. You can google it. Basically no products with sulfate (strips the hair of moisture), petrolatum or mineral oil (blocks moisture of entering hair), or silicones (well that's up to you if you don't mind using a sulfate shampoo occasionally).

You are going to want to know your porosity, texture (thin, thick..ect), and elasticity.

There are a lot of ways to style your hair. You can do wash n' go's, twist or braid outs (gives you a looser curl look), or rollerset your hair if you decide that you want a straight look without damage.

As for drying I towel dry with a microfiber towel for about 2 minutes, just long enough to where I have no drippies, but it's still damp (most ppl here don't towel dry, but it works for me). Then I style and air dry.

And as far as my wash and go routine I usually use a leave in conditioner, a sealant (to seal the moisture in), a moisturizer (optional, some ppl don't use it but my hair is super dry and damaged from the relaxer), and then gel.

I'm sure everything that works for me won't work for you. But you can search for some of the stuff I listed to give you more info.
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.
    -Shorterm Goal: BSL by end of the year.
    -Longterm Goal: WL in 2 years.
    -Medium/coarse hair, Low Porosity, Low-Elasticity, Medium Density.

Rotation:

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Cond. (any)
    Rinse Out: Tresemee Naturals Moisture
    DC: GVP Cond. Balm, SM DC, & EVOO
    Leave in: SM Conditioning Milk
    Sealant: EVOO Or Whipped Shea
    Gel: SM Curl Souffle

Afro-Latinas...visit my blog!:

http://afrolatinaisbeautiful.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji