When I dye my hair there's absolutely no change in color. I'm stumped.

KirbyKirby Registered Users Posts: 2
My hair was originally a dark golden blonde.

I dyed my hair a few months back with Natural Instincts (demi permanent) on virgin hair.

The auburn color faded to a less noticeable auburn after a few weeks, so I tried to dye my hair with a red Ion Color Brilliance shade (also demi) but the color wouldn't take at all. Thankfully I only dyed a small section to test, so my whole head wasn't damaged more. It wasn't until I added a little brown into the color that it took. (and the color was originally he same level or slightly darker as the previous color I'd used).

Over a month later, I did another test with a different demi permanent color and it too won't show up.

Why could this be?

Comments

• SailaSaila Registered Users Posts: 1,212 Curl Neophyte
    It's probably because demi-permanent dyes are really "weak" in terms of their ability to bleach. Even though the color is darker, I think there is some sort of "bleaching" necessary for the new color to get into the hair. Even then, demi-perms don't penetrate the cortex all the way.

Maybe try a semi- or permanent dye?
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Could the color itself make a difference?

I haven't heard good things about Ion, btw. It didn't work well for me at all. Very unpredictable.
  • geckogecko Registered Users Posts: 313
    You might have have very low porosity - not taking color is one of the characteristics. If you run your thumb and forefinger up a single strand of hair, does it feel sleek and smooth? If you have figured our your porosity, that will help you choose products that will work best for you - those that other low porosity people like.
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file