CurlTalk

Handmade Gifts

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
This is a neat idea from Martha Stewart:

Scan+103360001_2.jpg

It's made of pantyhose and bouncy balls!
Big Ball Necklace - Martha Stewart Crafts

I really like making gifts. If you have other handmade gift ideas, post 'em here!
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• One year I made bath salts with epsom salt, essential oils, baking soda and glycerin. You can look up different "recipes" online and it's pretty inexepensive.
    2C/3A -- wurly!
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users
    Some scarves I'm giving as gifts this year.

il_155x125.197296497.jpg
    Seville Scarf

il_155x125.197297156.jpg
    Paris Scarf

il_155x125.197298653.jpg
    Barcelona Scarf
  • kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    I've knitted several scarves. 2 of them have already found their way to my neighbors though.....I'm in the middle of another right now and have yarn (and patterns) for 3 or 4 more. I've been on a scarf kick lately, and I'm really making them just to make them....
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    I love making and giving handmade gifts..

cat-silhouette.jpg

A few years ago I made framed pet portraits in black and white paper cut out silhouettes, similar to the one in the picture, for my best friend.

I am thinking of making a few for this year to give away since they are relatively quick to make (cardstock, xacto, glue, frame) and don't cost much, yet look very nice when displayed. Of course you can choose any motif, but it worked out particularly well in my friend's case since she has a black and white shih-tzu and a black and white cat.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Phoenix wrote: »
    This is a neat idea from Martha Stewart:

Scan+103360001_2.jpg

It's made of pantyhose and bouncy balls!
    Big Ball Necklace - Martha Stewart Crafts

I really like making gifts. If you have other handmade gift ideas, post 'em here!

Oh, c'mon. You really like that necklace? It looks like...pantyhose and bouncy balls.

I do like homemade gifts though...usually food. I've made "cookie kits" a few times...all the dry ingredients for cookies layered prettily in a nice jar, with a recipe attached on how to finish them. I gave them to teachers, bus drivers, party hosts, etc.

Hot chocolate fixin's in a pretty jar and a cute mug are a nice gift too. There are recipes all over the internet for such things.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    I don't like that necklace. To each her own.

I've made
    a hat for each of my 4 nieces/nephew.
    Making an Asian-inspired coat for my son and possibly daughter
    working on a hoodie for my youngest son
    working on a dog sweater for my SIL
    might make a hat for my brother
    3 big apothecary jars for friends (but don't know which ones. Maybe I'll keep one for myself!)
    Maybe a knit/crochet tie for my daughter
    Maybe some baked goods for friends. I'm thinking either my grandmother's biscotti recipe, flavored with lemon extract, or Pioneer Woman's Muffins.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users

I've made
    3 big apothecary jars for friends (but don't know which ones. Maybe I'll keep one for myself!)
    Maybe some baked goods for friends. I'm thinking either my grandmother's biscotti recipe, flavored with lemon extract, or Pioneer Woman's Muffins.
    Are you pregnant?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    Phoenix wrote: »

I've made
    Are you pregnant?

No. Meaning, if I have time and she still wants it, it might get made.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
    ^^^Oh. Hee.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    The necklace made with pantyhose and bouncy balls is...FUGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Srsly, who would even want to wear that? Honestly, if I got that as a gift, I would be giving the gifter serious side eye

I'm making a pair of socks for my dad, mum, sister and brother. My SO is getting a knitted hat for his bday (he doesn't know that's when I'll give it to him)--I recently gave him some socks I made a few months ago

I really like handmade gifts because they are creative and are made with love
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    I really love some DIY gifting, but all I can think when I look at that necklace is she's got big balls in pantyhose around her neck.

I always make some food gifts for people each year and I also plan on re-doing my hubbies photo album his grandmother put together for him. It's absolutely falling apart and the album itself isn't sentimental to him, just the pictures inside. Of course I've waited until the last moment to start on it because I have to hide it from him (the crafting part it entails), but maybe I'll get it done in time. Always the procrastinator....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    BekkaPoo wrote: »

cat-silhouette.jpg

A few years ago I made framed pet portraits in black and white paper cut out silhouettes, similar to the one in the picture, for my best friend.

I am thinking of making a few for this year to give away since they are relatively quick to make (cardstock, xacto, glue, frame) and don't cost much, yet look very nice when displayed. Of course you can choose any motif, but it worked out particularly well in my friend's case since she has a black and white shih-tzu and a black and white cat.
    Girl, you can make me one of those anytime!
    I so love my ihop pic! lol

0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

cat-silhouette.jpg

Girl, you can make me one of those anytime!
    I so love my ihop pic! lol

Hehe... just say the word big bird. :nike:
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    I often make stuff, last year it was complex scarves [moebius or laceknit] for a lot of people. This year my knitting stuff has been in storage — I'm just going to retrieve it tonight — so the late start means I'll only crank out one, maybe two scarves.

In the past I've also done drawings of people's children or pets, from photos.

I think that necklace looks like what it's made of and that's never a good sign in DIY, sorry to say.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,572Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Note to Secret Curly: please do NOT make me one of those necklaces. :puker: What was Martha thinking?! :sad8:

But I love other handmade gifts. :) I have crocheted scarves, made fudge, etc in the past for gifts.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users
    Handmade gifts are great. If there is some talent behind it lol

Which is wear that ummm 'necklace' falls down. There is no creativity, talent or taste there, someone just stuffed cheap plastic balls into some tights and it shows lol!

If I tried to knit someone something it would be god awful because I cannot knit lol, I am good at cooking so I will often bake little treats for friends, and everyone loves the Irish Cream liqueur I make each year. But because I love drawing and have a talent for it, for my close friends, I create a special artwork for them :)
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    Note to Secret Curly: please do NOT make me one of those necklaces. :puker: What was Martha thinking?! :sad8:

But I love other handmade gifts. :) I have crocheted scarves, made fudge, etc in the past for gifts.
    OT: But the dog in your avi, is he a pit or pit mix? My dog looks just like that floppy ears and all(he's a pit/lab mix, black brindle with two white patches on his chest)
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
    My mother used to make pencil holders out of plastic tampon tubes glued inside empty vegetable cans. A little glue and spray-paint, and she thought they were unrecognizable from their original ingredients. I thought they looked like tampon tubes inside veggie cans.
  • jcejce Posts: 507Registered Users
    My mother used to make pencil holders out of plastic tampon tubes glued inside empty vegetable cans. A little glue and spray-paint, and she thought they were unrecognizable from their original ingredients. I thought they looked like tampon tubes inside veggie cans.

RCW, do you have any pictures of those? The mental imagery is cracking me up! And please tell me you never had to give those to teachers!

I typically like homemade gifts myself, but how do you all handle it when the gifter isn't very good at making things? A friend of ours makes bourbon balls, creme de menthe balls, and her version of fruit cake every year, and they are not very good at all. They don't even look appetizing, as she is a of a sloppy cook. She makes them for quite a few people and goes on and on about how much people like them. Last year I told her I didn't like fruit cake, which is true, but how do you get out of bourbon balls and creme de menthe, which should be good if done right?
    3b/c normally, 3a/b in the winter

jce wrote: »

RCW, do you have any pictures of those? The mental imagery is cracking me up! And please tell me you never had to give those to teachers!

If I ever gave them to teachers, I somehow managed to block it from my memory...probably a protective coping mechanism.

Earlier, I googled and, unfortunately, couldn't locate any pics of tampon-tube-pencil-holders, but I did manage to waste an hour of my life that I'll never get back perusing the various other crafts people make out of tampons.
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote: »
    I often make stuff, last year it was complex scarves [moebius or laceknit] for a lot of people. This year my knitting stuff has been in storage — I'm just going to retrieve it tonight — so the late start means I'll only crank out one, maybe two scarves.

In the past I've also done drawings of people's children or pets, from photos.

I think that necklace looks like what it's made of and that's never a good sign in DIY, sorry to say.

Oh, I'm making a moebius cowl now, and I'm so fascinated! So cool how it works up!
    lol @ just how much everyone hates that necklace... I still like it. I plan to make it. I just might not actually give it to anyone. But I think I'd wear it.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    CocoaCoily wrote: »
    Oh, I'm making a moebius cowl now, and I'm so fascinated! So cool how it works up!

I know, I love them, they're so cool. Only one edge and only one side!
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    That necklace is too funny.

In the past, I've made
    snowman soup - mug, packet of hot chocolate, candy cane, chocolate kisses and some marshmellows. has a poem to print out

candy cane bath salts

cookies
    quick breads
    gifts in a jar- soup mix, candy mix, cake mix, brownie mix, beverage mix, etc

this site has a ton of cute ideas
    Organized Christmas: Simplify Your Holidays and Celebrate The Season
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte

cat-silhouette.jpg

I think this would be my favorite gift if an artistic friend made me one of my shih-tzu. Great idea!
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    CurliLocks wrote: »

Always good to have a spare set?

:wav:
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    wavyblonde wrote: »

cat-silhouette.jpg

I think this would be my favorite gift if an artistic friend made me one of my shih-tzu. Great idea!

I definitely need to figure this out and do one of my dachshund for myself. Me and sharp objects probably aren't a good mix though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • KookyCurlKookyCurl Posts: 1,980Registered Users
    jce wrote: »

I typically like homemade gifts myself, but how do you all handle it when the gifter isn't very good at making things? A friend of ours makes bourbon balls, creme de menthe balls, and her version of fruit cake every year, and they are not very good at all. They don't even look appetizing, as she is a of a sloppy cook. She makes them for quite a few people and goes on and on about how much people like them. Last year I told her I didn't like fruit cake, which is true, but how do you get out of bourbon balls and creme de menthe, which should be good if done right?

Generally those are the ones I smile and nod at, then when they get home they go in the trash. I appreciate the effort that went into them, but really if I'm not gonna eat them away they go! Esp. if it's not worth pointing out that you don't like them. It then becomes a funny holiday anecdote.

I fell down on the homemade gift front this year. I usually make up some crocheted dish clothes and was hoping to make these adorable reindeer hats for my nephews. I still might. We'll see how busy I am this next week. I only have 3 to make. Shouldn't be too difficult. I am however compiling photos of my Dad and Step-Mom to make a slide show for their 20th anniversary party next weekend. I'm making it as a pretty DVD with music and everything. It'll be a great keepsake for them. With my Dad sick and all it's a big deal. They're also getting pictures of me and my SO to update their collection. Finally! I won't be the only single kid on the wall! We're also working on a CD of music that we associate with them, getting photos of the day done, family photos, and skyping my brother and SIL in from Cali (he just got home from Afghanistan). It's our christmas/anniversary gift to them from all the kids.
  • Phoenix wrote: »
    lol @ just how much everyone hates that necklace... I still like it. I plan to make it. I just might not actually give it to anyone. But I think I'd wear it.

I think it's kind of cute.
    2C/3A -- wurly!
    spring1onu wrote: »
    wavyblonde wrote: »

I definitely need to figure this out and do one of my dachshund for myself. Me and sharp objects probably aren't a good mix though.

Here's a few links with instructions:
    12 Gorgeous Silhouette Designs {DIY Decor}

DIY “Real-ish” Handcut Silhouettes

Frugal with a Flourish: $5 Dollar Challenge: Silhouette Bird Plates

You don't have to use an Xacto knife, but I like to use them because it's like using a pen. You can use scissors to cut out your silhouettes too and they will look just as nice. You can also play with the colors.. you don't have to stick with black/white color theme either. You could do red/black, blue/white, yellow/green, etc..

Now I may have to go home and see if I have any spare picture frames lying around..