Anyone use Shea Butter?

pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
I'm considering investing in some for when I do my protective styles to keep my hair better moisturized. Oil works but maybe for two or so days, then my hair looks dry and sometimes feels dry.

If any of you use Shea Butter, which brand? Hopefully it's reasonably priced and I can get it on the ground.

I need a butter for moisturizing . . if you know something better than Shea, let me know and recommend it.

TIA
last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png

Comments

• ajnaajna Posts: 494Registered Users
    I do use shea but my hair prefers mango we have a love hate thing with shea.
    Anyway a lot of ladies seem to like wholesale naturally organic unrefined shea butter or Shea butter black soap shea butter lotion, kelechi hair oil Oatmeal Soap, free samples Nasabb

Let me tell you where not to go Mountain Rose Herbs Carrier and Vegetable Oils I got the unrefined shea and it smelled so awful, kind of like you stepped in dog poo. Not a winner at all.
    Hair Type: 3c/4a/4b, fine, normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Ajnamhuja/
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    Thanks for the recs on which companies to purchase from and which ones not too.
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    shea-butter.jpg

This is the shea butter I have. I use it for hair and body and I've seen it in a lot of places. This butter seems to be somewhat commonly available in brick & mortar stores. I've seen it at Wal-Mart, in BSSs, farmers markets, etc. So just keep your eyes open and you may just run into some in your travels.

I've had my 16 oz. shea butter for over a year and I'm still only halfway finished with it.. definitely worth the $10 I spent on it.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    shea-butter.jpg

This is the shea butter I have. I use it for hair and body and I've seen it in a lot of places. This butter seems to be somewhat commonly available in brick & mortar stores. I've seen it at Wal-Mart, in BSSs, farmers markets, etc. So just keep your eyes open and you may just run into some in your travels.

I've had my 16 oz. shea butter for over a year and I'm still only halfway finished with it.. definitely worth the $10 I spent on it.

that's the one i use too. i bought mine last winter and still have it! during the winter i use it on my ends and if my skin is feeling super dry. i also used it for baby girl's raw nose when she had a really bad cold.
    I'll definitely look into that when I'm in Walmart next time; I may just make a trip to Walmart this weekend.

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • pinkwolfpinkwolf Posts: 430Registered Users Curl Novice
    I use african black soap and shea butter everyday from head to toe. :) I order mine from Shea Butter: Fair Trade, Unrefined Shea Butter and African Black Soap
    I am satisfied with them and the customer service is great. :)
    *Natural 3C/TWA* :toothy7:
    Wash: BS/ACV, ABS, KC Come Clean
    Conditioner: Garnier WB Honey Treasures
    , Garnier WB Apple & Green Tea
    Pre-Poo: Oils & Honey Mix
    DC: Garnier WB Honey Treasures Mask, SM 10-N-1

PT: Super Mayo Deep Conditioning Treatment
    Styler:
    KCCC
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Moisturizer:
    Whipped Shea Butter
    Oil/Sealant:
    EVCO, Jojoba
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    I got my shea from mountainroseherbs.. I agree it stinks (not like dog poo though lol), but I thought thats how all shea butter smells. I whipped it up with some oils using Naptural85's recipe on youtube and added citrus eo's and it covered the smell right up. It has great hold so I use it for my moms two strand twists (over a leave in) and I use it on my ends.
    She also has a recipe where she "dilutes" the shea in melted coconut oil and makes a cream, I use that too.. on my hair when I do twistouts. I really like her recipes theyre not too complicated, cause I see some people adding ridiculous stuff to their "whipped shea" videos lol.

Ive seen that kind above at my beauty supply.. but just ordered a new batch from Butters-n-Bars, its $8 per lb and theyre having a sale right now. I hope its good..
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • aubinaubin Posts: 286Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also get my shea from Mountain Rose Herbs. I whip it with equal parts olive oil. A few added drops of lemongrass oil or your favorite essential oil covers the smell right up.

In a pinch, I've bought Nubian Heritage Shea Butter (infused with olive oil and green tea). It's $10 at Whole Foods. It smells really good but I go through it too quickly; the jar is so small.
    3c/4a OS curls
    Poo: Mehandi Zizyphus Spina Christi and Juniper Shampoo Bar
    Co-wash/Detangler/Leave-in: V05, Giovanni SAS, Tresemme Naturals, Suave Naturals, GVP Conditioning Balm, Aussie Moist
    DC: henna, AOHR, AOWC, Yes to Carrots, DevaOne
    Sealing: cocoa butter
    :clock:Natural since 1990, BC #3 September 2008:clock:
    Hmm, I'll check out the brands that I can get on the ground first at Whole Foods or Walmart and then if I can't find either in my area I'll just result to ordering online.

Thanks so much for the recs ladies.

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
    I buy from butters-n-bar.com, I have to dilute with other things however.

I use a whipped mix of Shea butter, cocoa butter ( which smells 10x better) and hemp seed oil.

Or my other mix: Cocoa butter, Shea butter, and rose hip seed oil.

My body and Hair love both

I use it on the ends of my hair and sometimes to smooth it down. Good Stuff!
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • CaramelBlondieCaramelBlondie Posts: 6Registered Users
    I use it when I am wearing my hair in a bun as follows:
    Mix a small amt of Elasta QP Mango Butter with Raw Shea Butter, melt down in microwave (stir), and apply liberally to my ends (it literally looks like melted butter).
    Arrange hair in a cute bun and it retains moisture for several days. I also should mention that prior to applying the butters I already have EVOO and Castor Oil on my ends.
    HTH
    Okay, so I'm not blonde anymore - but I am still Caramel!:study:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file