Mineral oil (parafinium liquidum) and Petroleum in your favorite products

SheamarSheamar Posts: 23Registered Users
Hi everyone,
I've recently learned about mineral oil (parafinium liquidum) and Petroleum being one of the worst things you can put in your natural hair. However, I'm sure there are benefits but particular not for your hair since it clogs pores and coats the hair shaft in a film that doesn't allow moisture in. I've also learned that in the long run of using products with these ingredients will eventually damage your hair since moisture is basically locked out.
There's a lot of products out there that are being sold quite expensively even though they contain ingredients that are cheap and are usually at the beginning of the ingredient list.
Here's my question: Have you stopped using your favorite products because of this and have you noticed a change in your hair (thickness, growth, pattern etc)?? or have you seen no change at all??
Will you stop using your favorite product if it contain these ingredients?? or simply change the way/order you use them??
Hopefully knowing this will help us find solutions to our hair problems that we never thought might be a result of an ingredient in our beloved products even though they provide the best results.
Please share
:grommit:

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The only product I didn't throw out or give away because it has mineral oil is my Aphogee Two minute reconstructor because it's a rinse out. And I won't be repurchasing because I found something better.

I kept buying products even thought they had mineral oil because ladies on Youtube were raving about them. Eventually I had to face the fact that MINERAL OIL SUCKS.:sad9: It's attracts so much dust and dirt to my hair that I have to shampoo twice as often. I refuse to buy anything that has mineral oil in it ever again.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • ajnaajna Posts: 494Registered Users
    I stay away from all things mineral and sunflower. I think the biggest adjustment was that my hair is not as shiny.

I am not sure how it changed my hair that is hard to say because I stopped using mineral oil I also did a lifestyle change which was natural products (including henna) and more water. That was like 5 years ago so...

I will say I know some women who have beautiful hair and they use products with mineral oil in them. Bur for me no I would not buy it.
    Hair Type: 3c/4a/4b, fine, normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Ajnamhuja/
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    I don't like the way mineral oil looks in my hair. Luckily, none of my favourite products had mineral oil, so I never had to give up any fav products.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've used the Silk Elements Moisturizing Cream conditioner in the past, and one of the ingredients is mineral oil, but that was actually a really good conditioner. After I run out of my Mane & Tail condishes (I have about 4 bottles..lol) I will probably give the Silk Elements another try.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    After I found out about mineral oil, I had to give up my Palmer's Gro Treatment with Vitamin E. I loved the way that stuff smelled and how shiny my hair looked after I used it, but the top ingredient, I believe in the product, was mineral oil. It was a sad, sad day for me when I had to shove it to the back of my shelf.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • per_simmonper_simmon Posts: 22Registered Users
    pprMACHEheart, I just saw the Palmers Gro stuff and was wondering if I should buy it (the lady in the store said it was great stuff!), but then I saw that mineral oil is the first ingredient and so decided to give it a pass.

Ugh, I am about fed up. I'm just going to buy products that have ingredient names I can recognize and that's going to have to be good enough. I shouldn't have to get a degree in chemistry just to be able to find hair products! :(
    3c, Alopecia, porous like woah.

Struggling to come to terms with my hair, or at the very least a cease-fire.

Cone-and-sulfate free for a couple of months now.
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    per_simmon wrote: »
    pprMACHEheart, I just saw the Palmers Gro stuff and was wondering if I should buy it (the lady in the store said it was great stuff!), but then I saw that mineral oil is the first ingredient and so decided to give it a pass.

Ugh, I am about fed up. I'm just going to buy products that have ingredient names I can recognize and that's going to have to be good enough. I shouldn't have to get a degree in chemistry just to be able to find hair products! :(

Stick with most organic things and you'll be okay.

I had a hard time giving up the Palmers Gro Treatment, because it did work for my hair when it was permed and I thought it would help in growing out my BC, but what I discovered is that my hair is growing best with all the stuff that DOESN'T have the mineral oil in it. So it was worth giving it up.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file