Multi-day hair and gel

BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Ok.. my history with gels has been a series of failures, yet because of all you folks praising gels, I keep trying and trying to get them to work.. :laughing7:

However I do notice that when I use gels my hair gets even drier at the end of the day to the point where I could literally snap a hair like a dead twig. I never use gel without an oil to reduce the crunch and dryness, but even then my hair winds up super dry and brittle.

Anyone have any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

When I do use gel, I usually co wash or thoroughly wet my hair, apply oil or mix oil/gel together to get a creamy gel, shingle and comb through, then air dry. I can get my hair to last for about 2 days like this, but not more because of the dry brittleness.
"The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
"...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)

Comments

  • dancerxotdancerxot Posts: 140Registered Users
    Do you use leave-in underneath? Also, what may be "hardness" could just be protein. I have super-soft hair, and I used to think my hair was "hard" or not moisturized, but it looked and felt so healthy when it was naked. Well it wasn't the gel drying it out, it was the protein in the gel that fortified my hair and made it a bit stiffer than usual. I used to hate it, but using conditioner as a leave-in underneath and mixing my gel with oil definitely helped my hair :)

    hair type: 3c/4a, naturally super soft, and really prone to frizz.
    :blob7:

    :love7:i heart naturally curly hair!
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i also use a leave in and oil underneath my gel as well.

    but it may also be that you haven't found the right gel for you. i used to be in love with KCCC and ouidad climate control gel (they're both heavy duty gels) until i found fantasia ic gel w/ sparkelites. and i used the fantasia up until this year when i discovered kinky curly spiral spritz. i love the KCSS because it gives me all the benefits of gel (shine, hold, multi-day hair) with out the crunchy or dry feeling of gel.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm a Type 2, and I've had good luck with a mix of gels: Fuzzy Duck and ArcTex
    (ArcTec?).

    Could you be using too strong a gel? That brittleness sounds bad. Then again, some people do well with puddings, which do nothing for me. Maybe it's just not for you.

    How about mousse?
  • BeMoreBeMore Posts: 63Registered Users
    I definitely had that problem for a longgg time until i started using a leave-in along with a oil underneathe the gel. Also the gels i was using weren't the greatest.

    Since i've switch to Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, my curls have been alot better off.
    Texturizer
    Co-wash: Desert Essence Jojoba Body Boosting/CJDF
    Conditioner: Aubrey Organics White Camellia
    DT: Aubrey Organics GPB
    Leave-In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Oils: Grapeseed, Apricot Kernel, Avocado, Coconut
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    dancerxot wrote: »
    Do you use leave-in underneath? Also, what may be "hardness" could just be protein. I have super-soft hair, and I used to think my hair was "hard" or not moisturized, but it looked and felt so healthy when it was naked. Well it wasn't the gel drying it out, it was the protein in the gel that fortified my hair and made it a bit stiffer than usual. I used to hate it, but using conditioner as a leave-in underneath and mixing my gel with oil definitely helped my hair :)

    Hrm.. that is what happens to me too. And I am using a protein gel (that $1 gel you get at Family Dollar.. ProStyl [sp?] clear protein gel). Was your hair so stiff that it just snapped? And no I wouldn't use a leave in, but I did cowash before hand, and didn't fully rinse it all out. Then I'd apply my oil or mix oil with the gel and rake/comb through.
    subbrock wrote: »
    i also use a leave in and oil underneath my gel as well.

    but it may also be that you haven't found the right gel for you. i used to be in love with KCCC and ouidad climate control gel (they're both heavy duty gels) until i found fantasia ic gel w/ sparkelites. and i used the fantasia up until this year when i discovered kinky curly spiral spritz. i love the KCSS because it gives me all the benefits of gel (shine, hold, multi-day hair) with out the crunchy or dry feeling of gel.

    You and I have very similar hair.. I would dare say you are my hair twin because of the way your curls look, the fineness, the flyaway-ness. It's hard to find products that don't weigh everything down too much and to strike that balance between needing enough weight, but not so much that you lose the volume. I guess I just have to go out there and try some of the better gels instead of the dollar store stuff I usually try.
    ninja dog wrote: »
    I'm a Type 2, and I've had good luck with a mix of gels: Fuzzy Duck and ArcTex
    (ArcTec?).

    Could you be using too strong a gel? That brittleness sounds bad. Then again, some people do well with puddings, which do nothing for me. Maybe it's just not for you.

    How about mousse?

    Hey Ninj.. nice seeing you here. :) Well the gel I have now is a protein gel with max (10) hold. I use just a dab or two of gel, with an equal amount of oil. I tried the Garnier mousse but that only works in cooler climates for me (and when the stars are aligned just right). Otherwise, using mousse gives me crunchy defined mid-shaft, and the ends frizz out.
    BeMore wrote: »
    I definitely had that problem for a longgg time until i started using a leave-in along with a oil underneathe the gel. Also the gels i was using weren't the greatest.

    Since i've switch to Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, my curls have been alot better off.

    I've tried Cashmere Curls Gel, Garnier Spray gel, Ecostyler, and even flax seed gel.. I'd like to try the Qhemet Soft Tea Gel one of these days because I think I do better with a light hold gel, that is also light in weight.

    Thank you all for your input! If anyone else has anything to add please feel free to share..
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How about creams? Some people like creams. They're light hold generally, right?
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Try conditioner/leave in or styler, a thin layer of buttery stuff over that (smooth on ends); then the gel. Over the conditioner I smooth in either coffee bean butter, Qhemet Honey Hydrating Balm, castor oil, or shea butter. Jane Carter Nourish and Shine works too.

    Another way I've been getting 2nd day hair without gel is by layering 2 stylers over a leave in. A good combo is curls whipped creme and vigorol curls curling creme. Either vigorols or curls could serve as the "gel" over a leavein or another styler. I used Abba Pure Gentle mixed with Qhemet Olive Hydrating Balm beneath. This combo stood up to a sweaty Nia class this morning, and I left my hair out!
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

    Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ninja dog wrote: »
    How about creams? Some people like creams. They're light hold generally, right?

    Which kind of creams.. like a curl cream? I have tried the Hollywood Beauty Olive oil moisturizing cream which sometimes worked. The best luck I've had is just using conditioner and either an oil or something like shea butter on my ends. But then using that I have to re-do my hair daily.
    Try conditioner/leave in or styler, a thin layer of buttery stuff over that (smooth on ends); then the gel. Over the conditioner I smooth in either coffee bean butter, Qhemet Honey Hydrating Balm, castor oil, or shea butter. Jane Carter Nourish and Shine works too.

    Another way I've been getting 2nd day hair without gel is by layering 2 stylers over a leave in. A good combo is curls whipped creme and vigorol curls curling creme. Either vigorols or curls could serve as the "gel" over a leavein or another styler. I used Abba Pure Gentle mixed with Qhemet Olive Hydrating Balm beneath. This combo stood up to a sweaty Nia class this morning, and I left my hair out!

    Thanks SBB.. you have pretty fine fluffy hair like I do so I'll try your method. Probably over the weekend. :)
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    subbrock wrote: »
    i also use a leave in and oil underneath my gel as well.

    but it may also be that you haven't found the right gel for you. i used to be in love with KCCC and ouidad climate control gel (they're both heavy duty gels) until i found fantasia ic gel w/ sparkelites. and i used the fantasia up until this year when i discovered kinky curly spiral spritz. i love the KCSS because it gives me all the benefits of gel (shine, hold, multi-day hair) with out the crunchy or dry feeling of gel.

    You and I have very similar hair.. I would dare say you are my hair twin because of the way your curls look, the fineness, the flyaway-ness. It's hard to find products that don't weigh everything down too much and to strike that balance between needing enough weight, but not so much that you lose the volume. I guess I just have to go out there and try some of the better gels instead of the dollar store stuff I usually try.

    that's another reason why i love the KCSS--i don't lose volume. with the hardcore gels i end up with that flat jheri curl look.
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks Subbrock.. so the KC part is "Kinky Curly", what's the SS part?
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • dancerxotdancerxot Posts: 140Registered Users
    Nope, my hair would never snap. In fact, I'd get less hair in the brush after using gels for a while. I've been off them for the past few months, and I notice more shedding/fairy knots/snaps because my hair is SUPER moisturized with nothing to firm it up. I've recently switched to Eco Styler with olive oil in it and i really don't mind the stuff- it's not super protein loaded and doesn't make my hair ultra hard, just a little firmer than usual. It's not spectacular, but it's better than mediocre. It's the first gel I've used that didn't bother me too much lol.

    I used to just use conditioner on my hair, and it was so soft to the point where I'd touch it casually, and whatever I touched would mysteriously erupt into frizz. My hair needs hold and a bit of protein to smooth it out.

    hair type: 3c/4a, naturally super soft, and really prone to frizz.
    :blob7:

    :love7:i heart naturally curly hair!
  • morenaemorenae Posts: 43Registered Users
    I agree with what someone mentioned - perhaps you are using the wrong products. Before the advent of all these curly products, I was at the mercy of beauty supply store gels. And in the 20+ years of styling my hair on my own, I've never found one to absolutely love. The criminals have always been carbomer (the gelly glue that made the hair crunchy) , protein (which made it too hard and dry) or cones (made hair soft and slippery, but limp and frizzy). I know the protein gel you are referring to, and for me it was a definite disgrace of a product for my hair. (Sorry to anyone who likes this.)

    Eventually I stumbled upon Fantasion IC about 10 years ago and this became my staple along with Organic Root Stimulator Lock and Twist gel which is creamy, but I was never really 100% happy. Once I found Ouidad's Climate Control in 2003, I feel in love. Though light in feel and more like a serum, it gave me a lot of control. Eventually Miss Jessie's CP came along (original formula for $28 back then), and this really set me free. Then came Kinky Curly Curling Custard and this remains my most reliable gel. It does not have carbomer (although it has pectin), and when used with a leave-in performs quite well for me. I think using a creamy leave-in underneath and a moderate amount of the gel yields the best results without crunch. Even better is you run a bit of oil over it when you're done.

    The unfortunate part in this is as I found my "love gels", by wallet began to leak and my online shopping habits grew because these were not available in stores at the time.

    Other natural gels available in stores (like Whole Foods) I tried with decent results are Kiss My Face Upper Management and Aubrey Organic B-5 Design Gel. A friend of mine with looser curls like the Target version of Curls' Goddess Glaze. Additional online gels I like are Uncle Funky's Daughter and Donna Marie Miracurl.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    KCSS= kinky curly spiral spritz
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks Morenae and Subbrock (again). You know that KCSS is the only abbreviation that's not in the sticky.. I'll mention it in that thread.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    Anything with acrylates, PVP, polymers, etc will make my hair dry and brittle. Acrylates and polymers are actually plastic. PVP is another plastic/vinyl often used in fake leather. No wonder! I'm surprised this isn't brought to attention more often.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!



    :afro:
  • KarenRB53KarenRB53 Posts: 355Registered Users
    already asked question, sorry, didn't know how to delete.
    3b, fine textured,thin and normal to high porosity.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I hate hard hair. I use activator gels and I love it. And it isn't greasy like the jheri curl days. It's touchably soft.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • AfroPRChicaAfroPRChica Posts: 200Registered Users
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    Ok.. my history with gels has been a series of failures, yet because of all you folks praising gels, I keep trying and trying to get them to work.. :laughing7:

    However I do notice that when I use gels my hair gets even drier at the end of the day to the point where I could literally snap a hair like a dead twig. I never use gel without an oil to reduce the crunch and dryness, but even then my hair winds up super dry and brittle.

    Anyone have any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

    When I do use gel, I usually co wash or thoroughly wet my hair, apply oil or mix oil/gel together to get a creamy gel, shingle and comb through, then air dry. I can get my hair to last for about 2 days like this, but not more because of the dry brittleness.
    The two times that my hair felt dry like that with gel was when I used a protein gel, and/or a gel with PVP! PVP makes my hair SO dry! And it did feel like it could just snap off. I usually use the gels that have VP/VA (something like that), and they work MUCH better for my hair.
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.
    -Shorterm Goal: BSL by end of the year.
    -Longterm Goal: WL in 2 years.
    -Medium/coarse hair, Low Porosity, Low-Elasticity, Medium Density.

    Rotation:

    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Cond. (any)
    Rinse Out: Tresemee Naturals Moisture
    DC: GVP Cond. Balm, SM DC, & EVOO
    Leave in: SM Conditioning Milk
    Sealant: EVOO Or Whipped Shea
    Gel: SM Curl Souffle

    Afro-Latinas...visit my blog!:

    http://afrolatinaisbeautiful.blogspot.com/
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm trying gel again (don't ask me why, guess I'm stubborn..lol)

    So today I just water rinsed my hair. Added some Africa's Best oil in the shower. Wrung out hair, and quickly ran a towel over my hair to get out excess water. Added a dab of Garnier Fructis condish, and a slightly larger dab of my cheap-o clear protein gel (Softee brand?). Now my hair has dried, and it's definitely defined, but of course I have no volume. We'll see if I can just rinse and go tomorrow with this product combo.

    The good part is that it's not very crunchy at all and I have zero frizz. I'm gonna go ahead and call this a successful day using gel. :thumbright:
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love my Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine as an occasional leave-in, so I may try that with Eco Styler oliver oil and jojoba oil to see if that would work for my next WnG.

    I've sworn off gel too, but now its almost spring and I need to take it out of the closet!
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file