Allergic to PRESERVATIVES

avaanstaravaanstar Posts: 171Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have been trying to figure out why I have been allergic to every hair conditioner and I think I found out what it was.. I recently purchased Afro Grow Leave-in Conditioner and I am not allergic to it at all and I was looking at the ingredients and it has a natural preservative in it! I like it as a daily moisturizer leave-in conditioner but it isn't that good of a conditioner for combing out hair. I need a conditioner with NATURAL/ORGANIC PRESERVATIVES (I think I am allergic to phenoxyethanol even though it's natural, though)... Does anyone know of conditioners with great slip that have natural preservatives in it?

Comments

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you thought of mixing up some of your own conditioners? Since there are so many suppliers of the base ingredients, you could probably experiment and whip up a batch of natural, organic, preservative-free products for yourself. If I'm not mistaken I think you can use tea tree oil as a preservative. And in ancient times before refrigeration people used salt as a preservative, so maybe that could work too. If my hair is any indication, salt won't be too bad for your hair either.. I get the fluffiest, most defined curls from ocean water.

hth
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    avaanstar wrote: »
    I have been trying to figure out why I have been allergic to every hair conditioner and I think I found out what it was.. I recently purchased Afro Grow Leave-in Conditioner and I am not allergic to it at all and I was looking at the ingredients and it has a natural preservative in it! I like it as a daily moisturizer leave-in conditioner but it isn't that good of a conditioner for combing out hair. I need a conditioner with NATURAL/ORGANIC PRESERVATIVES (I think I am allergic to phenoxyethanol even though it's natural, though)... Does anyone know of conditioners with great slip that have natural preservatives in it?
    may I ask what "natural" preservative the afro-grow has?
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    Have you thought of mixing up some of your own conditioners? Since there are so many suppliers of the base ingredients, you could probably experiment and whip up a batch of natural, organic, preservative-free products for yourself. If I'm not mistaken I think you can use tea tree oil as a preservative. And in ancient times before refrigeration people used salt as a preservative, so maybe that could work too. If my hair is any indication, salt won't be too bad for your hair either.. I get the fluffiest, most defined curls from ocean water.

hth
    If you are making a creamy product (mixing water + oil). You will need a preservative. ABSOLUTELY

1. Salt is not a preservative for creamy products. Salt cures meats and prevents spoilage because it dehydrates the meat. Salt will do nothing in the way of preserving a creamy product
    2. Tea tree is not a preservative. It may have antimicrobial properties, but it is not a preservative itself
    Thanks for the correction, Coilynapp. Is there something you could list that is a natural preservative? I'd be interested to know also.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
    Thanks for the correction, Coilynapp. Is there something you could list that is a natural preservative? I'd be interested to know also.
    No problem BekkaPoo.

The cosmetic industry (at least small indie business) is at a consensus that there is no "natural" preservative that works just as well as synthetic ones. Of the synthetic ones, there are some that are "more mild" and just as effective. Examples of these are the optiphen family of preservatives. There are plenty of preservatives that are safe to use in products. A quick look at lotioncrafter.com or other suppliers can give examples of preservatives safe to use in cosmetics.
    coilynapp wrote: »
    No problem BekkaPoo.

The cosmetic industry (at least small indie business) is at a consensus that there is no "natural" preservative that works just as well as synthetic ones. Of the synthetic ones, there are some that are "more mild" and just as effective. Examples of these are the optiphen family of preservatives. There are plenty of preservatives that are safe to use in products. A quick look at lotioncrafter.com or other suppliers can give examples of preservatives safe to use in cosmetics.

Thanks Coilynapp.. I guess when making all natural recipes it's better to make small batches so that you use up what you make so you don't need to use a preservative (if that's what the OP, and probably other people too, are allergic to).
    BekkaPoo, even with small batches, if you have water (or water based ingredients) in your product, you need a preservative. Germs grow immediately. And if you are not using good manufacturing practices, you introduce germs during production. A preservative works to kill germs introduced during use. Opening the jar and leaving it open while using, using fingers, re-dipping fingers, all introduces microbes into products, so if you don't have a preservative, there is nothing to kill those germs.

Also note that you cannot see any contamination in your product. When you do see contamination (when it's visible) it has been there for a far longer time. So just because you can't see them or smell them doesn't mean they are not there. Even small batches. Unless you make something and use it all AT ONCE (no keeping), there is no way around preservatives if you want to be safe.

I'm not sure what the OP is allergic to (please tell us), but not using preservatives is really worse than using them
    :confused1: Scary!

Well I see you've done your research (and I haven't really done mine-- at least when it comes to this issue..lol)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file