12 Week Weight-Loss Challenge

curlyclo89curlyclo89 Registered Users Posts: 173
Hey everybody,

I want to start a 12 weight-loss and fitness challenge. I know most goal-making happens after the new year starts, but I think it's better to start before the craziness of the holidays! The goal is lose weight in a HEALTHY way.

Anybody who wants to join is welcome! Either send me a message or respond to this post to let me know you want to join. Tell me your starting weight and your goal weight for the end of the 12 weeks. ***Healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week. Your goal weight should be realistic… at most -24 lbs for the 12 weeks.***

Rules:
  1. -Challenge will start on Dec. 12, 2010, and end on Mar. 5, 2011
  2. -You can post your weight for that week anytime between Sunday and Saturday. Specify in your post title which week it is for.
  3. -I will consolidate and post everyone's weekly results every Sunday
  4. -Be healthy!

Participating Members:
-curlyclo89
-marisuga
-turtles
-kat180
:sunny: 3c/4a; medium porosity; high elasticity; M; iii

Comments

• curlyclo89curlyclo89 Registered Users Posts: 173
    Nobody is interested? :sad5:

• MarisugaMarisuga Registered Users Posts: 4
    This came right in time! I put on about 30-40 pounds after a surgery I had last year and it has been heck trying to get it off. I'm heading to the doc right now so i will update my stats when I get back.:blob8:
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Registered Users Posts: 9,596
    I'm down, I keep saying I want to lose 15 lbs and I've been really slack about it, I lack motivation, or I'm lazy...is being lazy lack of motivation?

So message you my starting weight? or....
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • BeachCurlGurlBeachCurlGurl Registered Users Posts: 168
    I'd like to join in but I would rather start after the New Year or even after Christmas! I have a few parties and such a jam packed month that it will be difficult to focus on it right now.

I am continuing working out as my schedule allows and my goal is just to maintain during the holidays.
    3a fine; dense; medium-low porosity, frizz prone

Current Favs: KM Shampoo bars, Darcy's pumpkin seed conditioner, CJ Repair Me; CJCR, CJCCC; Marie Dean products; DM Miracurls Gelly; KCCC; CJCQ; LA Looks sport gel

:love4:Curl Junkie & Marie Dean

:sunny:http://public.fotki.com/BeachCurlGurl/
    @turtles - yup. You can either message me or just post it on here. Give me your starting weight and your goal weight for the end of the 12 weeks.

@beachcurlgurl - understandable. The reason I'm starting it now is cuz I know for me it will be hard not to gain weight during the holidays if I don't start before. If you still want to join in after the new year just let me know. It's never too late to join.

• kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
    Can I join? I need a push and someone to tell me off and keep me on track. I need SUPPORT you guys!!!

*looks around wildly in distress*

I do not understand all this calorie counting and what types of food to eat and what kind of exercise I need to do.
    kat180 wrote: »
    Can I join? I need a push and someone to tell me off and keep me on track. I need SUPPORT you guys!!!

I do not understand all this calorie counting and what types of food to eat and what kind of exercise I need to do.

Of course you can join! I've got lots of resources about calorie counting, food, and exercise. I can definitely post those things if you want help!

@beachcurlgurl - do you want me to add you to the list and put your goal as maintaing for now?

Those of you who have joined - How do you want to do the weight recording. Do you want to tell me your starting and goal weights, or do you just want to tell me what your weight loss goal is for the 12 weeks (e.g. -12 lbs) and report in how many you lost each week? The second option might give you a little more privacy if you don't want to share your starting weight. I only want to know so I can make a spreadsheet for each week so we can stay organized!

Let me know.

Well I am just gonna put my self out there. I weigh 200 lbs on the dot down 13 for the year. My mom and I went to the doctor and I found out that she has diabetes :-(. That makes both of my parents and my dad is already extremely sick. So they are my motivation. I'm aiming to lose about 10-15 pounds during the 12 weeks so hopefully we can motivate each other.:thumbright:
    Ill put it out there too, weighing and scales means nothing much to me honestly. I go by off what I see in the mirror.

I am 12 stone exactly - so thats what, 164Ibs? Apparently a healthy weight would be around the 10 stone mark, so for the 12 weeks I guess Ill try to loose between 12-18Ibs.

It all begins tomorrow. :)
    What does a stone *look* like in terms of body weight?

An arm?

A leg? My head? Give me a clue lol
    My starting weight is 188 lbs. My goal weight for the 12 weeks is -12 lbs, so 176.

A little more about my story: I started losing weight after hitting 200 lbs. It took me a while to get motivated but March 1, 2010 I started putting a real effort into it. I was at 187 when I left the country in May 2010. I was gone for 3 months, and due to a good exercise class at a gym there and the amazing diet I had there (no processed foods, lots of fruit and vegetables), I was down to 174 when I got home in August.

When school started and everything I steadily gained back to 188 where I am now. My goal is to get back down to the 175 range using the same methods - good exercise routine, little/no processed foods, and lots of fruits and vegetables.

:toothy7:

We start tomorrow! Good luck on Everyone's first week! You can leave your weight for the week at any time. Personally, I will be weighing in on Saturdays.

I don't like counting calories it feels like I'm torturing myself LOL. ....so does exercise. When I exercised running about 15 miles a week 3 miles 5 days a week, for like 6 months straight, I LOST NO WEIGHT AT ALL. In fact I am the same exact weight as I was when I was running as I am now, No change at all.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I've tried to count calories but everything has so many and when you actually measure stuff out, those portions are TINY. lol...I guess they're supposed to be, but then I'm just hungry an hour later again!
    turtles wrote: »
    I don't like counting calories it feels like I'm torturing myself LOL. ....so does exercise. When I exercised running about 15 miles a week 3 miles 5 days a week, for like 6 months straight, I LOST NO WEIGHT AT ALL. In fact I am the same exact weight as I was when I was running as I am now, No change at all.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I've tried to count calories but everything has so many and when you actually measure stuff out, those portions are TINY. lol...I guess they're supposed to be, but then I'm just hungry an hour later again!

Counting calories DEFINITELY is NOT necessary for losing weight. When I first started I used the CC method because it was easy to do and it did help me figure out how a big a portion was really supposed to be. When I was in Chile I didn't count a single calorie, and I lost 15 lbs! I would say that the #1 thing is what you eat, and then comes how much.

My food suggestions: Avoid processed foods if you can. Eat whole foods when you can (fruits/veggies). Eat things that will fill you up in small portions, or alternatively lots of something with relatively few calories (like fruits/veggies).

My exercise suggestions: Find something that is fun and challenging for you. Exercises that help with weight loss are high-intensity exercises, not endurance exercises. For example, intervals for 20 minutes > running at the same pace for 40 min. If you run on a track, try sprinting the straight-aways and jogging/walking the curves. If you do the elliptical, try doing the "interval" workout. Another thing - strength training (whether it be weight-lifting, pilates, or something else) - is key. Building muscle helps burn fat, and women in particular do not get enough strength training.

What does a stone *look* like in terms of body weight?

An arm?

A leg? My head? Give me a clue lol

lol sorry, no help there! I hadn't even heard the term "stone" as a weight measurement before your post, haha!:tongue:

I'm going to try to eat less processed crap but my main problem is the people I'm around. Most people I know don't want to eat veggies, or they eat salads. Sorry, I'm not a fan of salads, yea I'll eat them but that's not my ideal healthy go to meal. I feel like If I say can I get veggies or etc instead of french fries I get the side eye from everyone else, ugh.
    I gonna need to find some nice tasting salads/veggies because....erugh. They taste so bland and nasty to me lol

Not inspiring.

Ooo I guess different measuring systems here to you guys. A stone is about 14Ibs I think.

I am eating plain old shreddies for breakfast and apple juice. Im going to have to think about how to do this, my parents don't like me buying/eating different food to them due to money.
    Veggies are definitely hard for me. Salad isn't my favorite thing and though I like other veggies (peas, various beans, broccoli, etc.) I rarely eat them.

Turtles & Kat180: Not having a good support system and/or not having access to the foods you might want b/c of $ is hard. :sad1: I consider myself very lucky to have both, and can't imagine how much harder it would be without them. Hopefully we can help each other with the support system part!

I agree with Curlyclo89. support can make a difference when trying to lose weight. for a while i was eating different meals from my family and if extended family came over my diet would be thrown out the window because all we do is cook and eat when we get together.

BTW if found a 12 week exercise program on about.com. It gives good info about setting goals and diet and provides a cardio and strength training for each of the 12 weeks.
  • Eighty7Eighty7 Registered Users Posts: 109
    Ive gained 30 pounds!!
    So Im in
    I went to the doctor yesterday Im 176
    I need to lose 25 pounds
    I would like to be 150 by March or at least close to it.
    :)
    Last Relaxer : March 2, 2010.
    Big Chop : June 8, 2011
    Eighty7 wrote: »
    Ive gained 30 pounds!!
    So Im in
    I need to lose 25 pounds

Hi eighty7 - I'll add you!

• Eighty7Eighty7 Registered Users Posts: 109
    curlyclo89 wrote: »
    Ive gained 30 pounds!!
    So Im in
    I need to lose 25 pounds

Hi eighty7 - I'll add you!

THANKS!
    lol i told one of my friends about this challenge.
    Im hyped
    I just finished exercising
    Great start so far.
    Last Relaxer : March 2, 2010.
    Big Chop : June 8, 2011
    Im hyped
    Great start so far.

Thanks for the publicity! haha. Yay for exercise… I didn't exercise today… fail. :silent:

curlyclo89 wrote: »
    Im hyped
    Great start so far.

Thanks for the publicity! haha. Yay for exercise… I didn't exercise today… fail. :silent:

I haven't either..in fact...I ate dairy queen....and then I ate pizza later AHHH help me! How do you have self control! I have none!!!

I told myself not to go to there and to just go home but somehow I ended up there...:sad8:
    I've gained one pound....:-|
    188… no change. I'm hoping next week will do better once my exams are over and I have time to dedicate to good food, though I have been working out a lot this week.

No change for me either - but I have to admit, I didn't give much thought to my food this week.

Already the Christmas chocolate tin has been opened.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file