CurlTalk

Cone free drugstore conditioners?

rolltidegalrolltidegal Posts: 307Registered Users
I recently switched back to Dove conditioner, an old favorite of mine, because I couldn't afford the nicer, no cone conditioners anymore (I'm in college - money got really tight towards the end of the semester). After experiencing one disappointment when I opened it up to find they had changed the smell, I got another when my hair started feeling, for lack of a better word, waxy. It felt coated in some kind of waxy gunk. I may be making cones my scapegoat for some other problem, but dimethicone is the third ingredient on the Dove Intensive Repair conditioner.

Anyone know of any relatively inexpensive no-cone conditioners? I didn't notice any on the Garnier Triple Nutrition label, but I absolutely loathe the smell of Garnier, so I'd prefer to not use it unless I have no other choices.

Thanks so much!
Roll Tide!
I was at the 2009 and 2011 BCS National Championship Games :)

Medium-coarse, super high density, normal porosity, low elasticity.
I'm currently trying out various Curl Junkie and Devacurl products.

Fotki: fotki.com/rolltidegal
password is 'rolltide'

Comments

• breathebreathe Posts: 399Registered Users
    Have you tried Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture?
    big chop: 03/09/2010.
    modified cg.
    medium/coarse | dense | normal porosity | 4b/3c with random sprinkles of 4a.

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    Yes to Cucumbers
    Renpure Organics my pretty hair is parched
    LaCoupe Organx (not Organix brand)
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • sopretty20sopretty20 Posts: 88Registered Users
    You can try Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner. It's under $2.
  • AfroPRChicaAfroPRChica Posts: 200Registered Users
    I recently switched back to Dove conditioner, an old favorite of mine, because I couldn't afford the nicer, no cone conditioners anymore (I'm in college - money got really tight towards the end of the semester). After experiencing one disappointment when I opened it up to find they had changed the smell, I got another when my hair started feeling, for lack of a better word, waxy. It felt coated in some kind of waxy gunk. I may be making cones my scapegoat for some other problem, but dimethicone is the third ingredient on the Dove Intensive Repair conditioner.

Anyone know of any relatively inexpensive no-cone conditioners? I didn't notice any on the Garnier Triple Nutrition label, but I absolutely loathe the smell of Garnier, so I'd prefer to not use it unless I have no other choices.

Thanks so much!

TRESEMME NATURALS MOISTURE!!!! I get a HUGE bottle that's like 30 oz (I think), for like $5! And it moisturizes SO well!
    -Mostly 3C with some 4A.
    -Currently APL.
    -Shorterm Goal: BSL by end of the year.
    -Longterm Goal: WL in 2 years.
    -Medium/coarse hair, Low Porosity, Low-Elasticity, Medium Density.

Rotation:

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Cond. (any)
    Rinse Out: Tresemee Naturals Moisture
    DC: GVP Cond. Balm, SM DC, & EVOO
    Leave in: SM Conditioning Milk
    Sealant: EVOO Or Whipped Shea
    Gel: SM Curl Souffle

Afro-Latinas...visit my blog!:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fafrolatinaisbeautiful.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users
    I'm also a college student! I'm actually supposed to be studying for my chem final right now but... You know how that goes.

I highly recommend conditioners from Suave Naturals and VO5 Naturals. They're under $2 and work perfectly for a co-wash. If you're looking for a 'cone free gel, try LA Looks. It's $3 for a 10 years supply. :happy8:

I'm sure you already know this, but be sure to clarify really well to get the 'cones out before co-washing.

Good luck! :) Let me know what you end up using.
  • curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    -Nature's Gate
    -Sally's generic value Matrix biolage conditioning balm
    -Yes to Cucumbers/Tomatoes
    -Sally's Salon Care (1 gallon for under $10)**I've used this as a co-wash, leave-in, rinse out and a deep treatment (by adding oil, aloe vera gel and honey)-I use the honey almond one and it works great.
    -Suave
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • aubinaubin Posts: 286Registered Users
    V05 Tea Therapy Nourishing condish is cone-free.
    3c/4a OS curls
    Poo: Mehandi Zizyphus Spina Christi and Juniper Shampoo Bar
    Co-wash/Detangler/Leave-in: V05, Giovanni SAS, Tresemme Naturals, Suave Naturals, GVP Conditioning Balm, Aussie Moist
    DC: henna, AOHR, AOWC, Yes to Carrots, DevaOne
    Sealing: cocoa butter
    :clock:Natural since 1990, BC #3 September 2008:clock:
  • LeanneMLeanneM Posts: 211Registered Users
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and have been devouring all the info I can before attempting to go CG!

Are any of the Suave Naturals conditioners OK to use, or does it have to be the Coconut one? I just got back from Target, and all they had was the Strawberry one.

Thanks!:flower:
    Mod-CG since December 2010.
    Hair type: NC: 2A; FIA: 2cFii; Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    Cleansing: CJ Cleansing Conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree, or Deva No Poo
    Daily conditioner: Deva One C or CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Cond or GPB
    Styling products: Deva B'Leave In + Deva Curl Cream + AnGel; or
    SS CEJ + BRHG; or AG: Recoil + BRHG; or KCKT + KCCC + BRHG
    Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

• SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users
    Strawberry is fine! :) I am not sure about all of them, but aloe is good too.

I usually look up product ingredients on drugstore.com.
    Thanks so much, Saila! What a great idea, too, to look up product ingredients on drugstore.com.

I've learned so much just from the past few days of obsessively reading posts here! What a wealth of great info!
    Treatments: SS protein treatment or CJ Curl Fix or Nexxus Emergencee + CJ Curl Rehab

• jam6352jam6352 Posts: 99Registered Users
    Suave humectant (old formulation in white bottle) is GREAT! For a rinse out you should definitely try Garnier Fructis' Triple Nutrition (~$5 at wally world) . I have the TreSemmes mentioned above but after time they started drying my hair out. Right now I use Lustrasilk's Shea Butter/Mango Cholesterol as my DT and Leave-in---that's around two bucks for 20oz. Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship and None of Your Frizzness are great but have bis-aminopropyl-dimethicone. I'm modified cg and have found these do NOT build up at all on my hair. They're also around $5 bucks. Happy hunting!
    Low-Poo: Hairveda's Shampoo Bar
    Co- Wash: Suave Professionals
    Rinse-out Conditioners: HE LTR , GF Triple Nutrition, Lustrasilk Shea/Mango Cholesterol
    Deep Conditioner: Lustrasilk S/M Cholesterol + honey, EVOO, coconut oil

Moisturizers:
    Hairveda's 3-n-1 Creme & Blended Beauty's Curl Styling Lotion

• hairlikethewaterhairlikethewater Posts: 15Registered Users
    Suave Humectant Is Magic!!!!
    Thanks for the great suggestions!

• jam6352jam6352 Posts: 99Registered Users
    Make sure to get the old formulation of humectant because the new one has dimethicone in it :(
    Low-Poo: Hairveda's Shampoo Bar
    Co- Wash: Suave Professionals
    Rinse-out Conditioners: HE LTR , GF Triple Nutrition, Lustrasilk Shea/Mango Cholesterol
    Deep Conditioner: Lustrasilk S/M Cholesterol + honey, EVOO, coconut oil

Moisturizers:
    Hairveda's 3-n-1 Creme & Blended Beauty's Curl Styling Lotion