Newbie from NY with lots of questions!!

CurlyCueLovesBlueCurlyCueLovesBlue Registered Users Posts: 12 Curl Neophyte
Hey everyone!! I am brand new here.

I am very interested in attempting to go CG, but I have a few questions I'd like to ask. I have looked elsewhere on the site, but I have to admit, it can be a tad overwhelming, what with all of the awesome information listed here!

I'm posting here because I had a few questions regarding the process itself. I hope you all don't mind. I will also be passing this info on to some fellow curly friends of mine on another message board. I have convinced a few to go CG as well!

1. Does the "in-shower" portion of the routine have to be done exactly? Meaning, do I have to do the Baking Soda/ACV and honey rinses for best results? Can I get away with just cowashing and conditioning? I want to make sure it's done right.
!a. If I use the baking soda/honey rinse "recipes" listed, can I mix a bunch of it and leave it in the shower for future use, or does that cause the rinse to lose certain properties? Inother words, is it better to mix fresh rinse each time?

2. I won't lie, I'm kind of lazy when it comes to my hair. I know the post-shower procedures will vary for each person. But are there certain steps that I should absolutely do for the best results? For example, I usually shampoo, condition, and then spray some gel and let it air dry. Will I need to use a diffuser? I'm not into heat styling at all.

3. Along similar lines of #2, I absolutely hate having crunchy curls. Are there any steps I should completely avoid? Mousse makes me nervous LOL. I will continue to peruse this site for more crunch making products to avoid.

4. What is the difference between a mod CG and full CG? I've gathered that the mod CG is not complete CG, but what is it that makes it so?

5. As a newbie, what is the best routine to use, until I get used to my NoPoo lifestyle? Leave in conditioner and gel? Mousse? Diffusing?

6. How often should I cowash, etc? I know there is second day hair, so I guess it doesn't have to be every day.

7. Will this damage my curl pattern in any way? Meaning, if for some reason I am not happy with how my hair looks and I (dare I say it?) choose to go back to sulfate washing, what are the chances my hair will be like it is now?

I think those are all of the questions I have for now. I'm really excited about trying this out!! I plan to do my last sulfate wash on Saturday, and start CG on Sunday. I don't know how active I will be on here, because keeping up with one message board is a difficult enough task for me, but I will most certainly lurk as often as I can.

I thank you all in advance for your help!!

~Christine~
~Christine~

CG since 12/4/10

Comments

• SpaghettiHeadSpaghettiHead Registered Users Posts: 1,510
    Welcome Christine!
    I"m no expert, but I'm going to attempt to answer your questions as best I can without seeming like I'm being too vague...
    1. you don't have to do the ACV/honey, etc things...they are only suggestions. I don't do any of them, and my hair is just fine. But they are always worth trying, to see how your hair will react. It may love them.
    2.Again, you don't HAVE to have a diffuser. This is a matter of choice. Air drying obviously is more healthy for your hair than heat...so if you're happy with air drying, I'd stick to that. I use a diffuser because it gives me more volume.
    3.Alot of products that give crunch people like because they have more hold, you'll find that you can SOTC (scrunch out the crunch) with most of them, and still have soft hair.
    4. Alot of people modify CG to their own liking...they may shampoo once a week with a low sulfate shampoo, or use only certain kinds of silicone, etc. It's all up to you how you modify.
    5. This is something really only you can answer. Whatever works better for you. There is no better or worse way of doing it. Everyone's hair is different, and everyone's routine is a little different from the next too.
    6. You can co wash as much as you like, as long as your products are completely cg, you shouldn't have a problem with build up, etc. Alot of people strive for second or even third day hair, just so they can alieviate the need to wash and go through the whole rigga-ma-roll every day.
    7. CG will not damage your hair. It will make it healthier and you might find it makes it curlier. Your hair would most likely go back to the way it is now unless you just did something super crazy to it.

My first suggestion would be to find out what your hair properties are. Easiest way is to go to livecurlylivefree.com....this will help tremendously. Then peruse these boards and find people with similar properties and see what they are doing.....I think it's going to be hard not to come here alot if you are really dedicated to going CG. good luck!!! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlyCueLovesBlueCurlyCueLovesBlue Registered Users Posts: 12 Curl Neophyte
    Hi Angela! Thanks so much for all of the info. I will for sure figure out my hair's properties, and go from there! I have not been this excited about my hair ever! I can't wait to start!
    ~Christine~

CG since 12/4/10
  • CurlyCueLovesBlueCurlyCueLovesBlue Registered Users Posts: 12 Curl Neophyte
    I have another question. :oops:

I searched and searched and searched, but still can't find the answer I'm looking for.

How can I tell the difference between light and heavy conditioners? I have gathered from reading around that VO5 and Suave are light conditioners, and I've seen recommendations for Garnier Fructise Triple Moisture as a heavy conditioner.

Are there certain ingredients for which to look that will tell me the "weight" of the conditioners?

TIA!
    ~Christine~

CG since 12/4/10

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file