CurlTalk

My Worst Natural Hair Day Ever

CurlyteeCurlytee Posts: 273Registered Users
I read the owner of Carol's Daughter Lisa state the best advice she can give a natural is not to wash your hair on top of your head. WHY?

Because i receive the biggest birds nest on top of my head that you can imagine. When I washed my hair i was over the sink, head down and massaging in the conditioner. What a mess

Ladies, Please if you don't listen to anything else after moisture, moisture, moisture, please when you start getting length don't wash your hair on top of your head. It took me so much time with the care and detangling. I was almost crying while hurting me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• DecagurlDecagurl Posts: 107Registered Users
    What? Are you saying literally not to wash your head, or dont wash it in a certain position? I know I like to wash it in the shower, drench it, condition it and then
    de-tangle and maybe put it into sections in the shower and it helps soo much.
    comic-p.jpg
    4a, porous, medium, fuzzy reddish brown stuff.
    Aubrey Organics HSRose Conditioner
    Suave Naturals Shampoo
    Eco-Styler Gel
    Coconut/Olive Oil sealants

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmorefitthanyesterday%2F" class="Popup
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    I think she means piling your hair on top of your head like you see in some movies. Instead of letting the water run over your hair and flow downwards, you pile your hair on top of you head ans scrub, resulting in it being a tangled mess.
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • lisa6lisa6 Posts: 543Registered Users
    Washing my hair in the sink creates the same tangled effect as washing with hair piled on top. For me, washing the hair in a forward direction then trying to detangle it in a downward (normal) direction is a no-no. However, I can wash my hair outside the shower. I step in the shower to rinse.
    comic-p.jpg
    4a fine, thin, high porosity
    Poo: SM Y&B, BT TT
    C: HE Reconditioning, Suave Almond and Shea
    DC: CJ CR, CJ RM
    LI: JC DT
    Curl Cream: RN BWCC, CJ CCCC
    Gel: CJ AFG
    Refresher: SM Thickening Mist, SM Y&A Milk, CJ CIAB
    Moisturizer: CJ SL, SM CES
  • violetmauvevioletmauve Posts: 177Registered Users
    I wash in very loose twists. It cuts down on tangling.
  • blessedhimeblessedhime Posts: 1,458Registered Users
    I wash my hair with the shower running down on it. Then, for the conditioner, I part my hair in 4 sections (easily) and put conditioner. :toothy6:
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Relaxer: July 31st, 2008
    BC: 14th August, 2009
    Favourite Product Line: None at the moment
    HGs: Amla, brahmi, maka, neem, hibiscus and fenugreek powders.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    For a second, I thought she meant don't wash you hair at the crown of your head!

I started washing my hair in sections awhile ago exactly for the reason stated.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    since high school i read that you shouldnt pile your hair on top of your head while shampooing. but i do bend forward and wash all of my hair over the bathtub BUT im not using a comb at any point at that step so detangling isn't hard for me.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • LuckyGirlLuckyGirl Posts: 105Registered Users
    I like Chicoro's method: put the hair is loose braids or twists to wash and condition.
    "Beauty is for everyone. All it takes is the decision to have it for yourself." - Shae Capri

"If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission." - Gabor

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    It doesn't even make sense to pile your hair on top of your head when you're washing it. :dontknow:
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    CocoT wrote: »
    It doesn't even make sense to pile your hair on top of your head when you're washing it. :dontknow:
    but if you wash it in a sink that's what happens. I wash my hair like that sometimes. But My hair isn't very long so it's not a problem. Detangling is difficult for me either way so I just do what's convenient for me at the time.
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• CurlyteeCurlytee Posts: 273Registered Users
    CocoT wrote: »

Making sense is relative to what you know. It make good sense to me since it's the way I have washed my Locks, Braids and permed hair for years and had no problems.

This Natural Journey is new and new ways of doing things will be learned. Everything doesn't always make sense to everyone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    lisa6 wrote: »
    Washing my hair in the sink creates the same tangled effect as washing with hair piled on top. For me, washing the hair in a forward direction then trying to detangle it in a downward (normal) direction is a no-no. However, I can wash my hair outside the shower. I step in the shower to rinse.

I will be washing and rinsing in the shower for now on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    Lol at first I thought she meant dont wash the top of your head at all too lmao!
    But I learned that lesson very young, dont know when but it was long ago.. ive been doing my own hair since I was a kid though.

I mostly wash my hair in the shower, but when I wash in the sink I dont get tangles either. At least not anything to make me avoid it, when I flip my hair back the bottom area near my nape is a little more tangled than usual but nothing terrible, I tend to keep it very smooth while im washing though.
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • kurlybrownkurlybrown Posts: 136Registered Users
    LuckyGirl wrote: »
    I like Chicoro's method: put the hair is loose braids or twists to wash and condition.

+1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Natural as of May 2009; 4a/3c
    Avatar Photo: Nov 10' Blow-out; Getting closer to my BIG hair goal!
    "I'm a big woman. I need big hair." - Aretha Franklin
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    okay i'm another one who was thinking she meant don't wash the hair at the crown of your head/ woops.

i wash/detangle/rinse all in the shower and follow the direction of the water flowing downward. i don't get the whole washing the hair on a pile on top of your head thing. can't say i've ever done that.
  • naturale_deenaturale_dee Posts: 9Registered Users
    I used to pile my hair on top of my head too. Its something that I did because that's what my mother always did with my hair. It wasn't a problem when had permed hair, but when I started transitioning and now, it makes my hair hard to detangle. I now wash and condition my hair in the shower
    Last Perm: June 2010
    Big Chopped: September 2010
    Hair type: 4a/4b
    Currently exploring different products.
    Rocking an afro :afro:

"Instead of counting your days, make your days count!" :glasses8:
    I'm so glad some of you ladies understood what I meant and for those of you who didn't understand, thanks for explaining what you thought.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    i'm confused...
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
    kayb wrote: »
    I think she means piling your hair on top of your head like you see in some movies. Instead of letting the water run over your hair and flow downwards, you pile your hair on top of you head ans scrub, resulting in it being a tangled mess.

ohhh... lol that's exactly how i wash my hair. i keep trying to stop, but i go right back to it. it doesn't tangle THAT bad though

hmm.. i think i misunderstood AGAIN lol... anyway, i just stand in the shower, put in the shampoo and scrub. i'm not piling it on purpose, but it does look like it's pile up when the shampoo is in, then it goes back down when i wash it out. i don't bend over to wash it or anything
    How I wash is I put the conditioner (or shampoo) in my hair and then push it back...does that make sense? So you push the hair away from your forehead and towards the back of your head. Like just standing under the shower and letting the water run over your head.

wait, a better description. The way hairdressers wash your hair in the sink. They usually let you sit down and then they wash backwards....right? :blah5:

I SUCK at explaining stuff.
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
    WashingHair.jpg

^ WRONG

EZ-Shampoo-Tray-in-use-washing-hair-big.jpg

washing-hair.jpg

^^ RIGHT
    "
    Yes, the wrong way is how i ended up after bending over the sink the standing straight up.

Like i wrote, I've always washed my hair in this fashion with a natural twa, permed hair, Locs, and braids, No Problem . However, now that I have gotten some length with my natural hair I had a birds nest.

Even though my method is wrong I'm glad the technique made sense to someone other then me.

Again, I appreciate all the feedback and just hope another natural can learn from my mishap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @KayB thank you for posting the right and wrong way to wash ones hair.

One may wash their hair in this manner as a TWA, but ladies watch out length will sneak up on you.

You've been warned
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i guess i wash my hair the wrong way then lol.
  • NstinctiVnaturNstinctiVnatur Posts: 127Registered Users
    My grandmother gave this tip to my mother when I was young. It did cut the detangling process in half just changing the technique from piling the hair and further tangling it by vigorously rubbing it in diffenent directions to just washing it in one direction [while still in the sink] made all the difference.

Great post!:wink:
    Never:love5: relaxed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Experimenting in creating my own products.
    You were pretty lucky having this information very early.

Had I just listened to Lisa, Owner of Carol's Daughter, when I read the article on Naturally Curly I would not have had this experience.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]