Favorite products for very fine, very dry baby hair?

This one is not for me, it's for my 1 year old son :) He has the most gorgeous golden 3B curls, but now that the weather has changed they have turned into a velcro frizz halo. I can still get the curls to come back by wetting it, but he is such a energetic soul that it doesn't stay long.

Right now, I co-wash his hair with either Suave Coconut or GFTN, and leave in some GFTN as well. Even with his hair being super fine, it doesn't get weighed down easily. The biggest culprit is the carseat, I am considering putting a satin case on his carseat headrest, but I'm not sure if I will yet because I don't want to mess with the safety of the seat. Or maybe I could put a satin cap on his head in the car? It would look ridiculous, but preserve the curl I guess lol.

Should I consider using gel in his hair? My newest fave for me is just plain ol Aloe Vera Gel, does this sound like it would work well in his hair too?
Jessica, proud mama to Hunter (9-18-09)
3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut, V05 Volumizing
Conditioner: AOGPB, Garnier Sleek and Shine
Leave in: Suave Naturals Tropical coconut
Gel: LA Looks Mega hold, Ecostyler Black, SOTC with shea butter/cocoa butter/sweet almond oil
Off-day spritz: Lavender mist
Hair likes Obscene amounts of protein
Hair dislikes
Too much oil

http://public.fotki.com/OperaTeacherMom/hair-going-cg/

CG since 5/8/10

Comments

• IroIro Posts: 71Registered Users
    She is 9 now and her hair is not quite as fine, but I have been using it since she was very small and her hair was baby fine. It does not look producty at all and it helps keep her curls defined.
    Fine, thin & tight 3B curls. Currently using Curl Keeper & Boots Curl Creme.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You may want to make some flax seed gel for both of you. There are tons of threads about it.

Kinky Curly has a "Tiny Tots" line. I like the Moisturizing Styler better than the regular KCCC.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OperaDivaOperaDiva Posts: 354Registered Users
    Thanks Kathy! I've tried FSG, and I'm really not a huge fan for me, it seems to make my hair feel kind of...goopy? I dunno, maybe i'll have to mess with it some more. It did work pretty well in his hair the one time I tried it, but I'm not sure I want to deal with making it just for him, you know?

Definitely looking into the Kinky Curly line, thanks!
    3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
    Gel: LA Looks Mega hold, Ecostyler Black, SOTC with shea butter/cocoa butter/sweet almond oil
    Hair dislikes
    Too much oil

CG since 5/8/10
  • OperaDivaOperaDiva Posts: 354Registered Users
    Short term fix: started using Suave Naturals Pomegranate, which doesn't have protein, and I did a very short SMT deep conditioning treatment on him the other day. Very short because, well, have you ever tried to keep a shower cap on a toddler? Doesn't work so well LOL. His curls are back, and looked pretty good today! I'm going to work on making a satin slipcover for his carseat pillow soon too.
    3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
    Hair dislikes
    Too much oil

CG since 5/8/10
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Is your son my hair twin??:)
    I have very fine hair that is pretty dry (although I have it mostly under control now), and never gets weighed down.
    My favorite stuff is in my siggi. I'm not sure which things would be appropriate for a 1 year old.
    You could try the spritz and condish method. I'm a fan.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file