Cool, cheap holiday gifts

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
What kinds of cheap ($10-$15) gifts would you want to receive at a gift exchange?

Here are some ideas. Feel free to cosign or nix them...add your own suggestions, too.

Also, for such a cheap gift exchange, do you expect a real gift or just gag gifts?

Barnes & Noble gift card

Starbucks gift card

decorative paper bag containing soaps/bath stuff (the premade gift baskets from B&BW etc all seem to exceed this price point)

classic Christmas/holiday time DVD, popcorn and candy

stationary

decorative paper bag containing nuts, popcorn, and chocolate

picture frame

Comments

• curlysue21curlysue21 Registered Users Posts: 5,219
    Maybe a fun ornament in a theme the person likes. For instance my best friend told me about an ornament of Troy Polomalu with the hair and all. Also I saw a cute ornament at Starbucks of a coffee cup.

A smelly candle to the person's liking.

Homemade cookies.

Dunkin' donuts gift card. Or a bag of coffee with a cute mug.

Scratch offs (if they like them)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    curlysue21 wrote: »
    Maybe a fun ornament in a theme the person likes. For instance my best friend told me about an ornament of Troy Polomalu with the hair and all. Also I saw a cute ornament at Starbucks of a coffee cup.

A smelly candle to the person's liking.

Homemade cookies.

Dunkin' donuts gift card. Or a bag of coffee with a cute mug.

Scratch offs (if they like them)

What are scratch offs??:confused1:

These would be gift exchanges whre you draw a name and don't know who will be getting the gift.

I love the bag of coffee/cute mug idea! That's great.

• jenny curljenny curl Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    scratch-offs: lottery tickets
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair
  • Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Registered Users Posts: 2,544
    Scratch-off lottery tickets are probably what she meant.

How about one of those fancy cocoa mixes and a cute mug? Not everyone's a coffee drinker.
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Registered Users Posts: 5,219
    Oops sorry. Yes I meant the scratch off lottery tickets. :toothy7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur

I've done something similar for a few exchanges. A basket with a blanket, movie, popcorn and candy. Always a hit :)

Bottle of wine

Check out a dollar store and you should be able to find some margarita or martini glasses. Wrap it up with some glass rim stuff and a small bottle of booze.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • LayaliLayali Registered Users Posts: 561 Curl Connoisseur
    iTunes gift card

amazon gift card

Gift card to a favorite lunch spot

Book or DVD the giftee might like or want

Movie passes

Groupon
    naturally 3b/3c

Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
  • kenzie!kenzie! Registered Users Posts: 5,055
    If everybody is above drinking age I would grab a few bottles of two-buck Chuck from Trader Joe's, some wineglasses from IKEA, and stick it all in a pretty basket.
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • rockthecurlzrockthecurlz Registered Users Posts: 910
    What kinds of cheap ($10-$15) gifts would you want to receive at a gift exchange?

Here are some ideas. Feel free to cosign or nix them...add your own suggestions, too.

Also, for such a cheap gift exchange, do you expect a real gift or just gag gifts?

Barnes & Noble gift card

Starbucks gift card

decorative paper bag containing soaps/bath stuff (the premade gift baskets from B&BW etc all seem to exceed this price point)

stationary

picture frame

All of the suggestions they have already named are really great. I just wanted to add that I hate recieving gag gifts. I think it is just a waste of money. Why not put that money towards something someone could use.
  • Who Me?Who Me? Registered Users Posts: 3,181

Barnes & Noble gift card

Starbucks gift card

stationary

picture frame

All of the suggestions they have already named are really great. I just wanted to add that I hate recieving gag gifts. I think it is just a waste of money. Why not put that money towards something someone could use.

Personally I think a lot of the suggestions named are pretty awful. I think anything edible for a gift swap is a bad idea...who needs MORE junk food at the holidays? There's so many opportunities to eat cookies, etc., I don't want a gift of cookies. I love gift cards because I love shopping, but they always just seem like a cop out. Like you didn't have time/energy to think of a "real" gift. And does anyone use stationary? And I never end up watching the on-sale movie some people bring, and I don't need another copy of It's a Wonderful Life. I would take the booze, glasses, or lottery tickets though.

So in essence, for a gift swap, I think a semi-gag gift is fun. Something to get a good laugh out of, and to enjoy that day. This year I'm buying a copy of the book "Awkward Family Photos" for one swap I'm in. Last year I bought a head scratcher for the same swap. So I think random, fun or funny gifts are best for these types of swaps.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
    Who Me? wrote: »

Barnes & Noble gift card

Starbucks gift card

stationary

picture frame

Personally I think a lot of the suggestions named are pretty awful. I think anything edible for a gift swap is a bad idea...who needs MORE junk food at the holidays? There's so many opportunities to eat cookies, etc., I don't want a gift of cookies. I love gift cards because I love shopping, but they always just seem like a cop out. Like you didn't have time/energy to think of a "real" gift. And does anyone use stationary? And I never end up watching the on-sale movie some people bring, and I don't need another copy of It's a Wonderful Life. I would take the booze, glasses, or lottery tickets though.

So in essence, for a gift swap, I think a semi-gag gift is fun. Something to get a good laugh out of, and to enjoy that day. This year I'm buying a copy of the book "Awkward Family Photos" for one swap I'm in. Last year I bought a head scratcher for the same swap. So I think random, fun or funny gifts are best for these types of swaps.

See I feel the opposite. I hate stupid 'gag' gifts, cr*p you'll never use and is just a waste of money. I always feel if someone gets me something like that, that they just couldn't be ar*sed and picked up some 50p tack at the local supermarket.

I think gift cards are a great idea. Ive done that for many friends this year -got them a £5 gift card for somewhere I know they love. I dont find it a cop out at all, I dont have enough money to buy an item from that store, so this way they will get something towards an item they will love. One friend has got a starbucks gift card because she is in there most days and it all adds up. She'll love it.

Wine is always a good idea (as long as not so cheap its foul lol!) I don't particularly enjoy getting most chocolate sets because I don't tend to like a lot of them and as you said its more bad food. But I would love homemade treats! I make great gingerbread and homemade irish liqueur that always goes down well.
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    No gag gifts...those are just awful.

I use stationery. People enjoy receiving letters on pretty paper.

Gift cards and lottery tickets are fine.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    I would never by a gag gift for a particular present for a friend, but what about the cheap swaps? I see a cheap present swap as more a means of holiday fun and amusement, where I see giving someone a gift as something that is thoughtful and meaningful. However, I also don't buy gifts for too many people. Really just my boyfriend, mom, brother and sil, and the nieces and nephews. I would rather not partake in a present exchange with a ton of people where everyone ends up with fairly generic cheap gifts, like $5 gift cards, candles, or candies.

And just out of curiosity, would you consider my bringing the Awkward Family Photos book to a gift swap game (we call it a Yankee Swap) a "gag gift"? I'm doing it anyway, it will fit in perfectly with the types of gifts this crowd brings, but I'm just curious!
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • emthefantasticalemthefantastical Registered Users Posts: 963 Curl Novice
    I would never by a gag gift for a particular present for a friend, but what about the cheap swaps? I see a cheap present swap as more a means of holiday fun and amusement, where I see giving someone a gift as something that is thoughtful and meaningful. However, I also don't buy gifts for too many people. Really just my boyfriend, mom, brother and sil, and the nieces and nephews. I would rather not partake in a present exchange with a ton of people where everyone ends up with fairly generic cheap gifts, like $5 gift cards, candles, or candies.

And just out of curiosity, would you consider my bringing the Awkward Family Photos book to a gift swap game (we call it a Yankee Swap) a "gag gift"? I'm doing it anyway, it will fit in perfectly with the types of gifts this crowd brings, but I'm just curious!

I would yes. I think at the time if I got it I would find it funny, and it would be fun for a little bit, but in the end you're really just wasting your money on something that is either going to sit on the shelf for forever that I'll never look at again, or will end up in the Goodwill pile during the after-the-holidays clean-out session.

I'd much rather get a little gift card to somewhere or a goody basket with treats in it than a gag gift.
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

• wonderdiana - shopaholic takes a napwonderdiana - shopaholic takes a nap Registered Users Posts: 1,728 Curl Neophyte
    I like the homemade baking mixes in a jar. One time my supervisor gave me one for chocolate chip cookies along with a cookie sheet, scoop and vanilla extract (which the recipe called for).

There are ones for hot cocoa, too. There are a bunch of recipes on food.com
    2C/3A -- wurly!
  • rileybrileyb Registered Users Posts: 1,975 Curl Connoisseur
    I agree, I hate useless crap or things that are supposed to be funny for holiday swaps. I always end up throwing it out and then feeling guilty that someone wasted money on it. I'd rather have gift cards, lottery tickets, movie passes, wine, ornaments, etc. I don't care if it's generic, as long as I can use it.
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
  • divegirldivegirl Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Curl Neophyte
    I've bought fridge magnets from the Onion store. Also anything from Fred or Decor Crafts are guaranteed to make the recipient smile! Both brands also sold on Amazon.

I would yes. I think at the time if I got it I would find it funny, and it would be fun for a little bit, but in the end you're really just wasting your money on something that is either going to sit on the shelf for forever that I'll never look at again, or will end up in the Goodwill pile during the after-the-holidays clean-out session.

I'd much rather get a little gift card to somewhere or a goody basket with treats in it than a gag gift.

In my experience most of the cheap generic gifts (like a candle, or stationary, or chocolates) are either going to sit on a shelf for forever that I'll never look at again, or go in the Goodwill pile after the holidays. But if you give a "gag gift", at LEAST you would get a couple minutes of enjoyment at the time you got it!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    These aren't necessarily good for people you don't know well, but I would enjoy getting things like --
    gift cards at the grocery store, the gas station, the farmers market, ebay, amazon, hsn, qvc
    teas
    things related to cooking - salts, peppers, herbs, spices, vinegars, oils, honey, little gadgets, cookbooks

i take care of a lady in senior housing here in my town. she lives on almost nothing and rarely leaves her building. one of the gifts she really enjoys getting - year round wrapping paper, tape, gift bags, gift tags, greeting cards, stationery, stamps.

another gift I like to give for a tea lover - mug, tea ball, tea, raw sugar, one of those little plastic lemons with lemon juice in it, a pretty spoon.

I wouldn't really enjoy getting or giving gag gifts.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • wonderdiana - shopaholic takes a napwonderdiana - shopaholic takes a nap Registered Users Posts: 1,728 Curl Neophyte

See, I would rather get a gag gift (along with a legit gift) for somone I know well than for a swap. Not everyone thinks the same things are funny so one person's laugh might be another person's "Man, whoever bought this is a dumb#ss."
    2C/3A -- wurly!
  • emthefantasticalemthefantastical Registered Users Posts: 963 Curl Novice

In my experience most of the cheap generic gifts (like a candle, or stationary, or chocolates) are either going to sit on a shelf for forever that I'll never look at again, or go in the Goodwill pile after the holidays. But if you give a "gag gift", at LEAST you would get a couple minutes of enjoyment at the time you got it!

Yes, I think that's why people are saying that things like gift cards, wine, a nice ornament, movie passes, take and bake gifts, etc would be more ideal in these situations than a gag gift. And like someone else said, if your gag gift goes to someone who doesn't have the same sense of humor as you, then you've really wasted your money. I don't know, unless it's something little like a funny magnet or something that is going along with something else, I don't see the point in gag gifts other than just throwing your money away. Also, while the Awkward Family Photos book would be funny at the time, you can just as easily go online and look at those, heck there's a website dedicated to it so why spend your money on something everyone can go look at for free?
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

• zmanzzzzzmanzzzz Banned Banned Users Posts: 3,826
    Yes, I think that's why people are saying that things like gift cards, wine, a nice ornament, movie passes, take and bake gifts, etc would be more ideal in these situations than a gag gift. And like someone else said, if your gag gift goes to someone who doesn't have the same sense of humor as you, then you've really wasted your money. I don't know, unless it's something little like a funny magnet or something that is going along with something else, I don't see the point in gag gifts other than just throwing your money away. Also, while the Awkward Family Photos book would be funny at the time, you can just as easily go online and look at those, heck there's a website dedicated to it so why spend your money on something everyone can go look at for free?

Actually, this is exactly why I think this is a good gift for the particular group--virtually none of the 10 or so people who participate in this swap spend any time at all on the internet! They are either fairly computer illiterate, or just don't see the use for email and stuff. Crazy, huh?!

I would buy non-gag gifts for this swap if I could think of something. But aside from gift cards (which are hard to pick a place most people would go to, other than perhaps Dunkin Donuts), half the group doesn't drink wine, half the group (me included) doesn't want a Christmas ornament, not everyone likes to go to the movies (I go maybe once a year), and a "take and bake" gift would probably take up space in my cabinet for a couple months until I threw it away.
  • spring1onuspring1onu Registered Users Posts: 16,528 Curl Connoisseur
    Spicy craisin nuts in a cute ceramic Christmas themed container. Last year I found really good prices on them at Kohl's and my giftee was able to use it for other things. Those nuts = addicting.

For a female, a glass nail file, cuticle oil and nail polish in a cute little zippered pouch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • KrazyblondegurlKrazyblondegurl Registered Users Posts: 1,008
    Scented candle
    Lotion and bubble bath
    Gift card to Blockbuster
    Gift card to Starbucks
    A Book
    Any giftcard
    Booze or wine
    Love the popcorn and movie idea for a family
    Board game

All generic gifts, but stuff I love and will use.
    I'm not into gag gifts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file