Dence, heavy hair and accessories

I have a lot of hair. It is very, very heavy, I used to get headaches from pony tails because of it's weight. My hair ranges from baby fine underlayers to crazy coarse toward the canopy. Anyway, I'm having a hard time finding clips, pins, even headbands that will stay IN my hair, and not gradually fall out.
I cant stand hair in my face, and usually end up attempting to pull at least some of it back up and off my face.
Bobby pins dont stand a chance, I have to criss-cross them to have them stay in, and even then they start sliding and pull my hair within an hour or so. I need at least 4 or 5 to just pull the front 'bang' area back (although I dont have bangs, but you get the idea), and have it stay.
The oval and snap clips cant grip tightly enough on the amount of hair I need pulled back.
Headbands give me headaches :-( and my hair does funny things around them anyways.

I need to add that I'm not complaining about having a lot of hair. I previously lost over 60% of it on chemo, so the fact that it came back to it's previous thickness is a blessing to me. I just need advice on how to get it to stay off my face and out of my eyes, I love hair accessories but can't get them to work for me - any advice?
- 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
- MOP C Hydrating 'poo
- LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
- treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
- plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots

Comments

• LISA LISALISA LISA Posts: 566Registered Users
    My sister-in-law and Neice have the same problem/blessing. She can't put my neice's hair in a pony tail because it will just slide down because the hair is so heavy. I put it in a tight French braid for her once and it held pretty well. Also, low, deep side-parted pony's work well too.

The only other thing I can think of is to *cringe* tease or *cringe* back-comb and hairpray before clipping up - but really, who wants to do that to themselves??
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OK. I sell the Lilla Rose Flexi 8 hair clips so I am biased but really they are the most comfortable clips for very heavy hair, maybe because they spread the weight out sideways instead of putting it all in a line? And they are gorgeous and spectacularly well made and guaranteed for a year. 6 sizes (7 soon as they are coming out with XXL) and I've only met one person who didn't fit them - she had dreads and a ponytail about a foot in circumference.

So shameless plug, to see them go to (www) lillarose.biz/robin (breaking the link as I'm not sure what's allowed on here). Free shipping on any order till Dec. 5 :) I really, truly think a little one would hold your bangs back securely and a bigger one would be comfortable for holding all your hair, even if it's very heavy.

Besides those, the things that are like two combs with elastic in between are also supposed to be good for very thick hair, a lady at my work swears by them.

And for the fine and slippery hair, I think that the Goody clips that are sort of gummy work pretty well. They make one that is shaped like an O with a bar across, flexible and the end of the bar slips into it.

One more suggestion - oddly, the cloth ligas that look like they are the arm of a baby's t-shirt cut off stay a lot better in my heavy hair than other types, they aren't tight but they just stay up better, something about the texture.

But really the lillarose clips are best-in-class, I started selling 'em because I loved them so much, the only thing that held my long hair up in a twist comfortably. I've cut the hair shorter now, so not such an extreme situation, there are other things that will hold it now, but I still love them.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Posts: 858Registered Users
    Robin - those are soooooo pretty! I wish my hair was long enough to pull back. Come to think of it, it's might be better that way. I'd probably become a HCJ - Hair Clip Junkie!

OK. I sell the Lilla Rose Flexi 8 hair clips so I am biased but really they are the most comfortable clips for very heavy hair, maybe because they spread the weight out sideways instead of putting it all in a line? And they are gorgeous and spectacularly well made and guaranteed for a year. 6 sizes (7 soon as they are coming out with XXL) and I've only met one person who didn't fit them - she had dreads and a ponytail about a foot in circumference.

So shameless plug, to see them go to (www) lillarose.biz/robin (breaking the link as I'm not sure what's allowed on here). Free shipping on any order till Dec. 5 :) I really, truly think a little one would hold your bangs back securely and a bigger one would be comfortable for holding all your hair, even if it's very heavy.

Besides those, the things that are like two combs with elastic in between are also supposed to be good for very thick hair, a lady at my work swears by them.

And for the fine and slippery hair, I think that the Goody clips that are sort of gummy work pretty well. They make one that is shaped like an O with a bar across, flexible and the end of the bar slips into it.

One more suggestion - oddly, the cloth ligas that look like they are the arm of a baby's t-shirt cut off stay a lot better in my heavy hair than other types, they aren't tight but they just stay up better, something about the texture.

But really the lillarose clips are best-in-class, I started selling 'em because I loved them so much, the only thing that held my long hair up in a twist comfortably. I've cut the hair shorter now, so not such an extreme situation, there are other things that will hold it now, but I still love them.

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • SpaghettiHeadSpaghettiHead Posts: 1,510Registered Users
    OMG, the hairbands and hairsticks....and flexi's oh my!! These things are beautiful! I WANT!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    the flexi8's look awesome... I think I'll have to order a small and medium when I finish my Christmas shopping! I've read about them before, but never got around to ordering.
    My hair isnt long enough to pull back without the front falling out of the ponytail, but to get the bang area off my face, these might work well.
    Robin, what are cloth ligas? I'm trying to google it but coming up with odd results.
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    the flexi8's look awesome... I think I'll have to order a small and medium when I finish my Christmas shopping! I've read about them before, but never got around to ordering.
    My hair isnt long enough to pull back without the front falling out of the ponytail, but to get the bang area off my face, these might work well.
    Robin, what are cloth ligas? I'm trying to google it but coming up with odd results.

I wish I had a camera. They are made of knit cloth, no elastic, not like a scrunchie. It looks like they had a long knit tube of cloth and sliced it into sections, or if you cut a two-inch slice off the sleeve of a black long sleeved t-shirt for a ballerina with super skinny arms. I really like these for ponytails, no damage at all and they hold without being tight. Super cheap and you can wash them with the laundry.

And ooh ooh please consider buying from me if you do get a Flexi! You will be suprised how well they hold if you get one that fits tightly. I have had so many ladies come up to the booth and say "nothing fits my hair" or "it won't work in my hair" and walk away happy with the first clip that's ever worked for them.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)

Shoulder-Length now.

Henna!

I wish I had a camera. They are made of knit cloth, no elastic, not like a scrunchie. It looks like they had a long knit tube of cloth and sliced it into sections, or if you cut a two-inch slice off the sleeve of a black long sleeved t-shirt for a ballerina with super skinny arms. I really like these for ponytails, no damage at all and they hold without being tight. Super cheap and you can wash them with the laundry.

And ooh ooh please consider buying from me if you do get a Flexi! You will be suprised how well they hold if you get one that fits tightly. I have had so many ladies come up to the booth and say "nothing fits my hair" or "it won't work in my hair" and walk away happy with the first clip that's ever worked for them.
    oohhh I know what you're talking about! I think I have a couple actually, I'll have to find them!
    And when I buy a couple Flexis I PROMISE I'll buy from you! I'll PM you when I do (probably early next month before the free shipping ends)!
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    I think I left out one critically important thing about the cloth ligas; I use two, like two-ply, one nested inside the other, for a tighter hold, like for working out. So for extra hold use two, but don't put them on one at a time, wrap them as though they were one. I twist this once (so there are 4 layers of cloth around the ponytail) for working out.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)

Shoulder-Length now.

Henna!
  • JusduitJusduit Posts: 578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree about the flexi-8's. They're one of my favorite hair accessories!

Also, the African Butterfly hair combs are really great for securely holding hair. Here's a thread about those and there are a couple of great links on how to use them in post #17.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/78925-african-butterfly-clips.html
    3a (protein sensitive)
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Cleansers: Mop-C Hydrating Shampoo, JCGLS
    Conditioners: CJCR, TJTTT
    Leave-in: CJCR, CK Satin Roots
    Stylers: UFDCM, CJPP
    Standby items:GVP K-Pak
  • nandiknitsnandiknits Posts: 260Registered Users
    I have a lot of thick heavy hair also, and until recently, could never find hair accessories that would hold my hair.

I second the Flexi-8's and the African Butterfly Clips (love these!).

Recently Goody came out with barrettes that click to accomodate different thicknesses of hair. I have never been able to use a barrette before because none have accomodated my thick hair. These work, they really do. I love them. I can't remember what they are called, but they adjust by clicking closed in 4 possible settings. I got mine at a Canadian Drugstore, but am sure they would have them in the States.
    CG since June/09
    3a/b extremely thick, coarse, porous
    Loving AOHR, Biolage Conditioning Balm, KCCC.:glasses8:
    oh those African Butterfly clips are cute! Between those and the Flexis, I might have some good options here!
    nandiknits, I'll look for those Goody clips when I go to Target today - thanks!
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
  • curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    On Teri LaFlesh's website, www.tightlycurly.com, she talks about these awesome combs, and gives the website for them. They are pricey, but SO beautiful, and she says they hold her hair just fine. Her is also very dense and thick. They are extemely well made, meant to last a lifetime.
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file