Would you ever trust anyone to cut your hair?

I just cut my friends BEAUTFUL THICK CURLY HAIR! and I was so sad that she wanted it short! But as I was cutting I started feeling a big jealous... I wish I could trust a friend to cut my hair! Im so obsessive about hair so I kinda knew how to somewhat do a deva cut/curly friendly cut!

What do you think? Do you think anyone can cut your hair? or do you only trust a certified person...

Because lets me tell you...ive gone to professionals that have butchered my hair so badly i would have rather done it myself...come to think of it...i actually have had to fix bad hair cuts a few times...

hmmmm

what are your thoughts ladies!?!
xoxo
Love my Curls, but they need a swift kick in the ass!!!

-2b-3b Fine, med tex, med porosity, over moistured/easily weighed down, protein loving Curls!!!
-Live in South Florida and trying to figure out what to do with this hair of mine...

Comments

• SpaghettiHeadSpaghettiHead Posts: 1,510Registered Users
    I think I'd be too nervous trust anyone besides a professional to do a BIG cut on my hair, but I constantly ask my mom or my bf to trim mine for me because I hate to pay $100 just for someone to dust the ends.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    I think the only time I've ever been to a salon to get my hair cut was to get my side-bangs angled. And that was only once. My mom usually cuts my hair when I need a trim to get all the dead ends off, and if I want something drastically different (like layers), my aunt usually does it. She used to work in a salon, so she's really good. :) I actually trust my family members to cut my hair more than I would some random person from a salon. Maybe if I went to get my hair cut professionally more than just once, I would feel differently! ;) The only problem with my family members cutting my hair is that they all do it when it's wet -- maybe next time I need a new cut, I'll ask them to cut it dry.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • ElenaMayleeElenaMaylee Posts: 88Registered Users
    I really don't trust professional people to cut my hair. I think it's because I have been natural my whole life and most salons, even African Americans ones, have no idea how to cut curly African American without straightening it first. I will trim it if the ends are looking bad but I have never given myself a major hair cut (more than 2 inches).
    Dense, Medium/Coarse Hair Strands with Normal Porosity & Elasticity

:hello1: Life Long Natural :hello1:
    Products currently in my rotation include: Bobeam Shampoo Bars, Tresemme Perfectly Undone, Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp, Curl Junkie Beauticurls, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, Aloe Vera Gel, KCCC, and a homemade oil spritz

• curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    Absolutely Not. I got fed up with coming home and evening it up after a "pro" got done with it. I started cutting it myself, and have for years. I got the book "Haircutting For Dummies", and followed the directions in the chapter on compact cutting. I got the most beautiful layers ever! So I figure, why pay someone, plus tip, when I can do it better for free?
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I absolutely LOVE getting a haircut at a salon. I probably wouldn't trust a friend to do it. I think cutting it yourself only works if you have long hair. Short hair requires more precision and eyes on the back of your head.

My mom cut my hair until I was about 11 years old. She only had 2 moves - a bowl cut or a mullet.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    No. I haven't let anyone cut my hair in a few decades.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • ElithiaElithia Posts: 297Registered Users
    Yeah, I don't trust anyone else to cut my hair. My mum did it till I was about fifteen - my last mum-cut was about three months after I went CG - and since then if anyone's done it, it's been me.
    Proudly CG since 8/10/06 - the story of my hair!
    Type: 3a/b, very thick
    Length: almost BSL wet
    Products: Suave coconut conditioner, coconut oil, Totally Twisted gel

Don't forget to be awesome!
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No. No.
    And no.
    Haha.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • stina84stina84 Posts: 136Registered Users
    Could anyone explain to me how to cut my own hair?

I have long, fine 3a hair!

if you need a picture just ask!

thanks!
    xoxox
    Love my Curls, but they need a swift kick in the ass!!!

-2b-3b Fine, med tex, med porosity, over moistured/easily weighed down, protein loving Curls!!!
    -Live in South Florida and trying to figure out what to do with this hair of mine...
  • Laney1Laney1 Posts: 308Registered Users
    I thought I read that Lorraine Massey's new Curly Girl Book coming out in January will tell curlies how to cut their own hair (Deva cut, I'm assuming). I go get Deva cuts, but have wondered if I could pull it off myself.

It will be interesting to see what the new book gives as far as tips for cutting.
    3B, with some 3C
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    Ive gone to Paul Mitchell Hair school a couple of times to get my hair cut.. though it came out shorter than I intended it always came out good. & because they were students and learning and cutting hair all day mine was just another test and not a personal thing so they did their best.
    I find with actual hairdressers most of my experiences are they dont listen to you and do what they want, or are envious & cut off too much hair. Every person I know that has had long hair has a horror story about someone who chopped it off!

Since I found my hairdresser shes the only person id trust other than myself, because she truly LOVES doing hair and making people look good.. she doesnt care about money, she cut my hair last time for $20 and a starbucks greentea LOL. I was just talking to my friend who also goes to her earlier today and she said "im gonna go to her until she dies or her hands break".. my thoughts exactly!
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • BeMoreBeMore Posts: 63Registered Users
    I've had some good fortune when getting my hair cut. I tried, for some crazy reason several years back to go to a Hair Cuttery near my home and I ended up with a stylist that gave me exactly what I wanted.

Since, i've always gone straight to her lol
    Texturizer
    Co-wash: Desert Essence Jojoba Body Boosting/CJDF
    Conditioner: Aubrey Organics White Camellia
    DT: Aubrey Organics GPB
    Leave-In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Oils: Grapeseed, Apricot Kernel, Avocado, Coconut
  • curledlovecurledlove Posts: 444Registered Users
    I'm with most of the ladies here. I don't trust professionals to cut my hair anymore. I did when I relaxed my hair. Scissor happy stylists never bothered me when my hair was straight because I wasn't obsessive about my length and I didn't have to battle shrinkgae. Now its been about 4 years since a stylist has cut my hair. I much rather do it myself.
    3c/4a
    I made it! Tailbone length stretched, WL curly

Teri Laflesh's book "Curly Like Me" sits on my desk and everytime I get frustrated and an impulse tells me to shave my head, I look at it in hopes that one day my hair will graze the top of my butt.

event.png

event.png
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    Cutting Hair with Lightning Speed - For Dummies

this is how I cut my hair, the pull your hair up part not the bangs. I always come home with nightmare hair when I've tried to let someone else do it. That same method of hair cutting works with medium length too.
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Husband may cut my hair. Even if he trims off 2" and I wanted 3/4" it's an opportunity, not a disaster. How can I stay mad at him?

No to anybody else.
    I cut my own, usually. If I botch the job -- oh well. Another goof for my huge book of hair blunders.
    Having a pro of anybody else cut it is just too fraught with emotion and money! 2 things that don't mix well.
  • aliquotaliquot Posts: 227Registered Users
    Guess I'm in the minority here...I wouldn't trust MYSELF to cut my own hair. I'd rather have someone else to blame if it turns out crappy.
    3a/b in Piscataway, NJ
    Fine, low porosity, loves protein!

Cleansing - Burt's Bees or CJ
    RO - CJBSC
    LI - GDLI, CJCR
    Styling - Re:Coil and CJCQ
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think my current hairstylist does a much better job than I could do on my own. However, he seems to overlook the part in back that looks like a "tail" as soon as I do my hair myself. So that part I cut myself because I forget to mention it to him at appointments.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file