Over conditioned or Too much protein?

How do you guys tell the difference, and what do you do to counter either or. I know you need the right balance of both, but i would like to know what do YOU guys use/do specfically?

Ive looked up both with the search option, and have come up with a few results, id just like some elaboration (:

me: my hair is super soft, but doesnt clump as usual, and has little to NO curls but MAJOR frizz. pretty sure thats over conditioned.

so curlies, what do you do? and how do yah do it? :D

Comments

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here are two helpful links on the subject.
    Page 5 in this article has info on diagnosing hair.
    The Fine Art of Protein and Moisture Balancing for Black Hair Care - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com
    This blog post has pics of too much moisture or too much protein.
    Protein vs Moisture « Pittsburgh Curly
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The easy answer is that over conditioned is soft and frizzy, too much protein is hard and frizzy. It's a little more complicated. You'll learn more as you read more.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jelly.ViJelly.Vi Posts: 103Registered Users
    Yeah, i think it may be the cationic surfactant in GVP balm. i definately over did it. and i think suave naturals has em too, which explains why it made my hair soft and frizzy. I will definately keep on reading on how/if you can get around this

wow ty for link pedaheh! it was super helpful
    and ty kath, that really helped also! very simplified, and straightforward
    im definately on moisture OD! :laughing6:

i was also thinking bout doing acv rinses between rinse out and leave in.
    it helped with frizz before, but i ran out.

thanks for replies! was really starting to freak
  • LogyLogy Posts: 156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    pedaheh,
    thanks for the link to Pittsburgh CG. Her over proteined hair looked just like mine. Will be doing SSDD treatment tonight.
    54, mix of 3a, 2b,c, with the occasional straight strand thrown in to keep things interesting. Low porosity. Very fine!

HG: CJCF Never lets me down.
    Others I Like: DevaCurl One Co, CHSCK, Giovanni Smooth as Silk, SSDD, AnGel, DevaCurl No Poo, Elucence Moisture Balancing Condish, Curls Like Us towels.

"Still crazy after all these years" Paul Simon :nemo:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file