Twist-out care?

J.S.M.J.S.M. Registered Users Posts: 415
How do you moisturize a twist-out without making it shrink or tangle?

When I do twists, I usually leave them in for a week or two and then I wear a twist-out for a couple of days before I just twist my hair up and do it all over again. But when I leave the twists in for that long, they always wind up knotting really badly before one week even passes, so I'm thinking of leaving the twists in for just maybe a few days (like two or three) and then donning twists-out for the majority of the time (instead of the vice versa I've been doing all this time).

But my twist-outs always get so crispy and dry because I don't really know how to moisturize my hair while it's out without making it knot up and shrink. I've gotten so many split-ends from not properly moisturizing my hair while it's out.

Any advice on twist-out care? Also, what do you think of the idea of wearing your hair out and in twist-outs more often than in twists? Leaving these twists in for so long isn't doing me any good, but do you think it'll be too much manipulation otherwise?

Comments

• kitka82kitka82 Registered Users Posts: 35
    J.S.M. wrote: »
    How do you moisturize a twist-out without making it shrink or tangle?

When I do twists, I usually leave them in for a week or two and then I wear a twist-out for a couple of days before I just twist my hair up and do it all over again. But when I leave the twists in for that long, they always wind up knotting really badly before one week even passes, so I'm thinking of leaving the twists in for just maybe a few days (like two or three) and then donning twists-out for the majority of the time (instead of the vice versa I've been doing all this time).

But my twist-outs always get so crispy and dry because I don't really know how to moisturize my hair while it's out without making it knot up and shrink. I've gotten so many split-ends from not properly moisturizing my hair while it's out.

Any advice on twist-out care? Also, what do you think of the idea of wearing your hair out and in twist-outs more often than in twists? Leaving these twists in for so long isn't doing me any good, but do you think it'll be too much manipulation otherwise?

Hey JSM,

I think it depends on 1) whether you do twists on wet or dry hair and 2) what you use to moisturize them with.

I find that I get less shrinkage with twists done on dry hair. I apply a shea butter-jojoba oil mix to my hair while twisting each section. I spritz my twists each day with water (and aloe vera). Before taking them out, I spritz lightly and rub my hands with a bit of leave in conditioner. You could also use a little bit of oil. That way my hair feels moist while taking them out. If you're going to twist on dry hair, you could try stretching the hair first with a few chunky braids all over your head, to reduce shrinkage.

HTH
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BC: September 2010

Look me up @ http://public.fotki.com/kitka82/
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Registered Users Posts: 2,584 Curl Neophyte
    I've never been one to have hair that lasted more than five days without needing to wash it due to the fact that I workout every other day, sweat, etc. But when my hair starts to feel dry, I have a spray bottle with water mixed with some oils that usually help with any potential crispness. Once my hair is completely dry, it doesn't tend to shrink unless I soak it again so I'm careful how much I spray my hair when its dry. It usually helps for me to wet my hair and retwist at night (usually about 5-6 twists) before going to bed. That way its moisturized without the risk of shrinkage.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • AquarianWavesAquarianWaves Registered Users Posts: 238
    Shea Moisture has a great moisture spray, its great, I use it every day. Smells delightful too, I get no shrinkage when I use it....since its more of a oil and not water based.
  • J.S.M.J.S.M. Registered Users Posts: 415
    kitka82 wrote: »
    Hey JSM,

I think it depends on 1) whether you do twists on wet or dry hair and 2) what you use to moisturize them with.

I find that I get less shrinkage with twists done on dry hair. I apply a shea butter-jojoba oil mix to my hair while twisting each section. I spritz my twists each day with water (and aloe vera). Before taking them out, I spritz lightly and rub my hands with a bit of leave in conditioner. You could also use a little bit of oil. That way my hair feels moist while taking them out. If you're going to twist on dry hair, you could try stretching the hair first with a few chunky braids all over your head, to reduce shrinkage.

HTH

I usually twist on wet hair, right after I wash it, and I'll moisturize by spritzing the Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave-in on wet hair and sealing with an oil or butter/butter-mix.

I've thought about twisting on dry hair, but isn't that more difficult to do? I figured it would just be generally harder to keep the twists from getting frizzy, so I never really tried it. How does twisting on dry hair compare to twisting on wet hair?

Thanks for the suggestions!
    I've never been one to have hair that lasted more than five days without needing to wash it due to the fact that I workout every other day, sweat, etc. But when my hair starts to feel dry, I have a spray bottle with water mixed with some oils that usually help with any potential crispness. Once my hair is completely dry, it doesn't tend to shrink unless I soak it again so I'm careful how much I spray my hair when its dry. It usually helps for me to wet my hair and retwist at night (usually about 5-6 twists) before going to bed. That way its moisturized without the risk of shrinkage.

Do you re-twist your hair every night and just let it out in the morning? Also, if you do, how does your hair fair with the manipulation? Thanks!
    Shea Moisture has a great moisture spray, its great, I use it every day. Smells delightful too, I get no shrinkage when I use it....since its more of a oil and not water based.

I tried Shea Moisture a few times, and I just can't stand their products. They're just way too fragrant for me, and my hair usually just feels coated. Thanks for the suggestion anyway, though!

Does anyone have any more suggestions on how they moisturize their twist-outs daily? This is really my main problem. I only know how to properly moisturize my twists, but I apparently can't leave the twists in for long before the knots start coming, so I need to learn how to care for my hair while it's twisted-out/not in a protective style. Thanks!

• LiyahLiyah Registered Users Posts: 118
    kitka82 wrote: »
    Hey JSM,

HTH

I usually twist on wet hair, right after I wash it, and I'll moisturize by spritzing the Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave-in on wet hair and sealing with an oil or butter/butter-mix.

I've thought about twisting on dry hair, but isn't that more difficult to do? I figured it would just be generally harder to keep the twists from getting frizzy, so I never really tried it. How does twisting on dry hair compare to twisting on wet hair?

Thanks for the suggestions!
    I find that after my first set of twists that I do on wet hair, my hair is stretched enough to retwist dry. For me, it's faster to twist on that is stretched. I spray my hair down while in the twists and seal afterward.
    Do you re-twist your hair every night and just let it out in the morning? Also, if you do, how does your hair fair with the manipulation? Thanks!

Does anyone have any more suggestions on how they moisturize their twist-outs daily? This is really my main problem. I only know how to properly moisturize my twists, but I apparently can't leave the twists in for long before the knots start coming, so I need to learn how to care for my hair while it's twisted-out/not in a protective style. Thanks!

I just respray my hair while twisted and seal while twisted. I do this every night.

Just don't twist really tight or part with a comb and you should be fine.
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Registered Users Posts: 2,584 Curl Neophyte

I do end up re-twisting every night on most nights if I need to remoisturize. Some nights, I pull my hair back in a loose ponytail and tie my hair up with a scarf - shake out in the morning.

When I twist, it does pretty well. I only need to unwind the twists and shake a few times. Its the ultimate morning hair for me!
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • SaSSyClaSSySaSSyClaSSy Registered Users Posts: 96
    I use Oyin's Juices to moisturize my hair while in twist, or twist outs. A twist out doesn't last more than 2 days with my length of hair. When It gets longer, it might last longer.
    BC: 9/28/10 (2.5-3 inches)
    Hair type: Type 3c/4a fine/medium
    event.png
  • pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Registered Users Posts: 643
    I do my twists on wet hair, and I use a Twists + Lok gel that I got at my local bss, Qhemets AOHC, and some eccostyler gel. This will last about 1 1/2 weeks. while twisted, I spray with a mix of distilled water, castor oil and condish. Then I rub some castor oil on my hands and gently grab a few twists at a time to seal. I repair each twist as needed nightly by spraying with water, and using gel to re-twist. When I do the twist out, the hair is moist, and very springy. The twist out will last about 3-4 days. I spritz to moisturize daily, and if any portions look particularly crazy, I re-twist that section only at night. That usually happens with the 4z patches above my ears that are determined to do their own thing!-HTH!
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:
  • J.S.M.J.S.M. Registered Users Posts: 415
    Bump. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Does anyone else have any advice on twist-out care?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file