Please Help! What kind of Hair is this???

I'm LONG overdue for texture shots so as my hair was drying before flat ironing last night I took pics with a decent camera finally. These pics are of the curliest part of my hair, the frizziest and basically the reason I flat iron because no matter what I do it puffs out while the sides and front are easier to deal with albeit heat damaged. First off, help me identify my hair type, the hair you see on the ends is loose because of heat damage, my true texture is closer to the middle and root. I think I may be a mixture of 3b/c and maybe even 4a? I really need an objective opinion because I could be way off. The pics where you see a wet look on a few of the curls is because I rewetted it to define the curls..... My hair is air light and very fine.
Curls8.jpg

Curls9.jpg

Curls4.jpg

Curls2.jpg

Curls1.jpg

Curls.jpg

Comments

• ShahanaShahana Posts: 15Registered Users
    More info on my hair... it dries very fast on the top, more slowly in the very curly sections. It is very fine and soft, and fairly silky even when its curly till it dries out after adding product, then it turns into another animal, dry hard and impossible to deal with. My hair seems to hate nearly any leave in/styling product no matter how its raved about, no matter how I clarify, no matter what. The back and back sides are the curliest areas on my head. The top front is crispy for some reason no matter what I do and will not curl and the front under layers are silky soft and not troublesome at all. The top layer ruins everything.....
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It looks like it will be very pretty worn as curly hair once you can keep it healthy and moisturized.

It is normal to have varying curl types but I would guess it more likely that the top layer is much more damaged and has sort of given up, and the underlayers have been more protected so they curl more.

If you post what you have been using on it, someone on here with similar hair (very fine, mixed porosity, damage? is that about right?) may be able to help.

I think you are right on when you say 3b/c.

Best of luck to you. I like your hair, the curls do look like they will be great if you take care of them and find the right products to define 'em the way you want.

BTW - to me, when you say it always looks pretty good until it gets all the way dry, that REALLY sounds like you need more moisture; almost like you need to keep it a little wet when it dries, basically. Like your dry hair is too dry and you need to hold the moisture in the hairs to help define and weigh them.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
    Thanks Robin, I do need to leave my hair alone and stop tormenting it! It's a catch 22 though because now that it is so heat damaged I HAVE to straighten it or my texture is all over the map lol.

BUMPING for more replies!!
  • TrixieTrixie Posts: 260Registered Users
    Shahana wrote: »
    Thanks Robin, I do need to leave my hair alone and stop tormenting it! It's a catch 22 though because now that it is so heat damaged I HAVE to straighten it or my texture is all over the map lol.

First off, your hair is very pretty! I love the curls and texture that you have...and I agree with Robin that they just need some TLC! I know you know this already, but the more you straighten the more heat damaged your hair will become...might as well just stop straightening! Give your hair as much moisture as it can handle, and I'm sure it will start becoming more healthy! :)
    Somewhere between a 2b/c and a 3a

Current product favorites
    Cleansers: Giovanni TTTT shampoo, Deva No-Poo, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner
    Conditioners: Tigi Moisture Maniac, Yes to Cucumbers, GVP Conditioning Balm, AOHR
    Stylers/Gels: KCCC, SS CEJ and FHG, AOMM, BRHG, LA Looks Sport Gel, Lustrasilk (winter), Pink Boots (winter)
    Henna glosses!
    Thank you Trixie and you're right about the flat ironing. It's just so hard to stop :(

Anyone out there with a similar hair type? I'm convinced I have the strangest hair in the world seriously LOL.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte

No one has to straighten unless they want to. I think your hair has the potential to look fabulous if you put yourself in the hands of a stylist who can cut it to accentuate the curl, if you stop using the heat, and if you start conditioning like the government is going to ban conditioners tomorrow.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    I've had WONDERFUL luck with practically the cheapest product I could find after trying all the expensive stuff that didn't work. The LA Looks Mega Mega (yellow) gel!!!! I cannot believe how this held and elongated my curls, it made them exactly as I like. It was about $4 for 16 oz!! I feel so fortunate. La Looks + Jojoba oil is it for my hair. So I feel less compelled to straighten now.
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I've had WONDERFUL luck with practically the cheapest product I could find after trying all the expensive stuff that didn't work. The LA Looks Mega Mega (yellow) gel!!!! I cannot believe how this held and elongated my curls, it made them exactly as I like. It was about $4 for 16 oz!! I feel so fortunate. La Looks + Jojoba oil is it for my hair. So I feel less compelled to straighten now.
    congrats! It's almost liberating to find a winning hair routine!
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file