No poof but no crunch. I need help!

Hey curlies!

I haven't been on in a while, mostly because i "thought" I had learned how to tame my hair, but as most of you know, curly hair does not like to cooperate. I used to just use some gel and clump my hair (super soaker method) and it would be fine. But recently, my hair has been immune to this, and it's not defined, and its huge (keep in mind, I'm in high school so i want to keep it down) and it looks frizzy.

What I want:
I would like to have nice, defined curls that do not look crunchy. I find that the amount of gel I use makes my hair looks constantly wet, and no one likes that.

about my hair:
I have been on and off the cg method, but i went back to silicones because i have been diving for school, and since thats without a cap, I wanted to protect my hair (does that make sense?)
Its 3a hair, and it is a little shorter than bsl.
Its also red and veryyy dry.

Have any ideas?

Multi-textured head! 3a w/ some 3c, medium to high porosity, medium to coarse texture, dry!

My current favorites: Suave naturals shampoo, Suave coconut, Organix argan and moroccan oil conditioner, GFTN, LALMG, FSG <3!!

Not a huge fan of CG :/

Comments

• nicnic93nicnic93 Posts: 28Registered Users
    Garnier Fructis Curl Sculpting Spray-Gel is what you need. My cousin {who is 3b} uses it really likes it. It defines her curls, and tames frizz like nothing else. I also used it to scrunch my straigtend hair. My hair was well moisturized and shiny! It smells amazing too! Fresh and fruity!
  • curlycarrottop62curlycarrottop62 Posts: 245Registered Users
    How do you recommend putting this on?
    Multi-textured head! 3a w/ some 3c, medium to high porosity, medium to coarse texture, dry!

My current favorites: Suave naturals shampoo, Suave coconut, Organix argan and moroccan oil conditioner, GFTN, LALMG, FSG <3!!

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Are you using a cheleating shampoo or cowash? Cheleating ingredients, like EDTA, remove chlorine. Look for EDTA or shampoos that say for hard water or swimmers. Curl Junkie Daily fix is a cheleating cowash. I know at least one of the VO5 cowashes has EDTA high on the list.
    I don't know, and hopefully someone who does will weigh in. I wonder if having hair that is regularly exposed to chlorine means you should do more PTs. Hmmm.

I have dry hair and here is what has worked for me.
    Getting my protein moisture balance right.
    Overnight coconut oil prewash treatments. This doesn't work for everyone, but is great for me. If you haven't tried coconut oil, start with a shorter time like 10-30 minutes. Some people have issues washing coconut oil out, but it cowashes out for me.
    The spritz and condish method.
    Mixing 50% warm honey with my rinse out conditioner each time. Again, doesn't work for everyone, but is great for me.

When you shampoo you could try what the longhaircommunity calls CWC (condition, wash, condition). Coat the length of your hair with conditioner, shampoo the roots, rinse, then condition again.

Just want to add that I think diving is pretty awesome.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • nicnic93nicnic93 Posts: 28Registered Users
    How do you recommend putting this on?

It can be applied while damp, I applied a leave-in conditioner for extra moisture, then I sprayed a quarter sized amount on my palms, whipped it together and finger-combed it through my hair, and let air dry. My hair had movement, shine, minus the frizz!
  • NerdycurlNerdycurl Posts: 87Registered Users
    Have you tried a baking soda/acv rinse? When my hair acts funky, that usually helps do the trick. :)
    3b I think :)

Current rotation: CJ Daily Fix Cleansing Condish, Suave Coconut, AOHR, CJCCCC, KKKT, KCCC
    HGs: EcoStyler, Coconut oil, KY, ACV, BRHG, LOOB, Curl Rehab, Deva AnGel, GTTT Condish, CIAB!
    <3 Curl Junkie <3
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi Curlycarrottop, my daughter is a diver (in college now, but she was a high school diver) and a 3A too. Her hair is fine/medium.

She LOVES the fake biolage conditioning balm from Sally's or Walgreens, and GFTN, I'm not sure if she does double rinse-out or alternates. And I know she uses the Mark Curl Goddess Gel, it's sort of a gel/cream mix, it has a silicone but water-soluble. And likes BRHG occasionally I think. She finds keeping hair cut shorter also helps a lot. I sent her a bottle of Mastey Traite low-poo, I'll ask her if she liked that, but I know she likes the Walgreens Rosemary/Mint shampoo as a "real shampoo."

Also we met a diver who had the most gorgeous curls, unbelievable hair, I asked her what she did, she said she wet and gooped her hair up completely with V05 and then wrapped it up in a looped ponytailbun thing and this protected it during practice. This didn't work for DD, her hair doesn't stay wrapped up when diving, but worth a try as it did work for someone.

So yes to the chelating/clarifying once to see if you are just gunked up, and hope these give you some ideas to try after that.

And good luck - the high school swimming season is over down here, are you up north?
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • curlycarrottop62curlycarrottop62 Posts: 245Registered Users
    thanks for the replies!

im going to use ultra swim since its around my house, but i am still looking for something less drying.

i will do a pt tonight so lets see how that goes!
    and i will do a acv rinse later on in the week

thanks!

• plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Do you SOTC at all once your hair dries with the gel? I often wash and style at night and sleep out the crunch instead.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file